Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
Smile '62 Overlander 'Bonnie' needs help

Hi there, not sure this is the place to post this but here goes. My husband Bo and I are new to Airstream. We had been looking early 09 to purchase a new Thor toyhauler(motorcycles). When I started to come across Airstream classified etc and got completely wrapped up in Airstreams. After months of searching we found one less than 1/4 mile down our road behind some very large bushes. We bought it and pulled it home about 3 weeks ago. We plan on full new floor, new wiring, axels if we need them, ex polish etc. Started to remove rear bath yesterday. Had a terrible time taking the tub out. We plan on doing windows before new floor but need to know exact measurements of front window so we can have one built, the whole thing is missing plus the window to right of door has been replaced with plex glass looks awful. All the rest look and work fine only one screen to repair. Susan
Bo&Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
Pictures.

We did manage to post some pictures in the registry.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Welcome to the forums... it sounds like you need a new frame to go around the glass? Your best bet is to look at the classified section here on the forums, or peruse Ebay for someone who's selling the frame from a parted Airstream. Size? You just need to measure what's the hole size left in your Airstream to see what will fit.

You could probably have someone make a frame with glass, and just screw it in if you don't want one to open, but it might look funny. Hide that behind a period rock sheild and no one will be the wiser.
Good luck on the search!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
OMG! Just saw the pics... you have some job ahead! I'm speechless.. what happened to that poor thing. I see the rear has been chopped up with the screen door, and the front window is not just missing the frame but also has the bottom edge cut out too. You need two frames.. one for the front and one for the rear. Both the outer and the inner that opens.... to be honest, that repair is gonna be tough.

Are you planning on doing a shell on floor replacement?

Marc
Old 01-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
Toyhauler

yes shell on floor replacement. We plan on opening her all the way to the rivets on back and building a door for back there. We would NEVER have cut something like this up but as it has already been done we plan on trying a toy hauler for motorcycles. The last owner restored windows in historical buildings and pulled this from site to site. He had a huge oven for baking the finish off the windows and it vented out the front window. Due to the high lead he told us the back was cut out so they could shower discard their clothing and go out the backway without having to put their breathing masks back on. My husband Bo is a fabricator, steel, Aluminum etc so we are lucky in that respect. Our youngest boy has been installing glass full time for several years and can also build our frames. Our middle son is a certified mechanic and one of the older boys electrics so between them all we hope to get real close to what we want in our Airstream (Nice that they all live within 1/2 mile of us). The reason we asked if some one had size of that front window is that we would like it as close as possible. Susan
Old 01-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
ahhh.. I'll measure my front window when I see my trailer this Friday. Looks like you have some great creative skills behind you. Can't wait to see more.
Marc
Old 01-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I know all of my windows are 19" x 40" and that is the size of the hole that is cut into the skin for the stationary window frame. I know later years of TradeWind's had slightly larger windows but don't know the exact sizes. The measurement sizes are stamped into the frame in the center of the bottom stationary frame so this should make it easier.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
That would be great. Then maybe we would have it in by next week. We figure the back door will be our biggest challange. We had planned on a let down solid door but now we are leaning towards rebuilding that whole section as was. With hinges on left side. That way at least it will look somewhat normal and would do away with the added weight it would take to make it a ramp door. We only intend using it as a toyhauler a few times a year for local events. Both in our 50s now and hope 09 was our last year doing the tent thing and carrying everything on our bikes. We have a rough floorplan I will scan and post later, as we need input. We have everything from rear bath should anyone need anything. Susan
Old 01-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
Butchered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
I know all of my windows are 19" x 40" and that is the size of the hole that is cut into the skin for the stationary window frame. I know later years of TradeWind's had slightly larger windows but don't know the exact sizes. The measurement sizes are stamped into the frame in the center of the bottom stationary frame so this should make it easier.

Brad
FF
The front was butchered , only left side bottom intact and no measurements. last night we found the neatest looking screen in a closet. Its thin decorative alluminum covered with a metal mesh we,re not sure where it went but would be great if it fit front window. susan
Old 01-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
What kind of light fixture was in your bathroom? Mine is missing an end and have been looking for one since I got the TradeWind in 2001. I can post a picture, if that will help.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
Quote:
What kind of light fixture was in your bathroom? Mine is missing an end and have been looking for one since I got the TradeWind in 2001. I can post a picture, if that will help.

Brad
FF
Pic would help. Susan
Old 01-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #12
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
This picture is a bit blurry but you'll get the idea. It mounts to the wall just below the cabinet and above the window. The left end is missing and its been hard to find. No other vintage Airstream from this era seems to have this fixture.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BathLight.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	94808  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
Quote:
This picture is a bit blurry but you'll get the idea. It mounts to the wall just below the cabinet and above the window. The left end is missing and its been hard to find. No other vintage Airstream from this era seems to have this fixture.

Brad
FF
Went out and checked. This one is quarter round on the side and bulbs are not visable they are covered with thin flexable white sheet of plastic. Sorry. Susan
Old 01-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #14
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks for going out and taking a look. I'm quite familiar with those style of fixtures and may switch over to that style since I can't find the end for mine. Is yours a single bulb or dual bulb fixture and is it available? I'm interested in a dual bulb fixture.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
On my way out to pick up rubber gloves to tackle cleaning lol. but pretty sure its double as I remember looking last night thinking I needed to change the left side bulb as only right side was lit. you are more than welcome to it. but we won,t be removing it until we remove that back to rebuild it. I,ll post a picture later to make sure its what you want. Susan
Old 01-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #16
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Thank you Susan. Appreciate it.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Wow! What a great project. I always like seeing the different renovations with just a shell. This is one of the first "Toyhaulers" made from a vintage Airstream that I've seen on Airforums. It will be fun to watch.

Good luck!
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo&Susan View Post
yes shell on floor replacement. We plan on opening her all the way to the rivets on back and building a door for back there. We would NEVER have cut something like this up but as it has already been done we plan on trying a toy hauler for motorcycles. The last owner restored windows in historical buildings and pulled this from site to site. He had a huge oven for baking the finish off the windows and it vented out the front window. Due to the high lead he told us the back was cut out so they could shower discard their clothing and go out the backway without having to put their breathing masks back on. My husband Bo is a fabricator, steel, Aluminum etc so we are lucky in that respect. Our youngest boy has been installing glass full time for several years and can also build our frames. Our middle son is a certified mechanic and one of the older boys electrics so between them all we hope to get real close to what we want in our Airstream (Nice that they all live within 1/2 mile of us). The reason we asked if some one had size of that front window is that we would like it as close as possible. Susan
If this just going to be a toy hauler why not just put a blank plug in place a front window? There plenty of other windows to light the interior to move or work on bikes. Or is this going to be a really big Basecamp?
Bob
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
No, not just toyhauler. Toyhauling will be secondary and only for my bike as Ridley bikes are very light (Bo will ride the Harley). The front half will be as original floorplan but with benches and table up front instead of couch (can,t remember what correct name is). We plan on goin lightweight with all we can. Bonnie has no rear end separation as far as we can tell but we plan on welding brackets to frame and the moon shape plates we saw in a thread to prevent it. No bathroom just larger closet over front half of wheelwell on curbside for porta-potty.(large enough and plumbed should a bathroom be added later). Jump in anytime (Please!) with pros and cons. Susan
Old 01-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
Fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander & Sea View Post
Wow! What a great project. I always like seeing the different renovations with just a shell. This is one of the first "Toyhaulers" made from a vintage Airstream that I've seen on Airforums. It will be fun to watch.

Good luck!
Thanks! Hope its as much fun doing as watching. Saw your pics a few days ago and all the blue outside looks really good with the airstream. Hope you don,t mind but showed it to Bo and he agreed we should copy lol. Your pretty close to us. Susan