Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Exclamation Help! Fridge beeping is driving us crazy!

Hi all, looking for advice.

We have a brand new 2019 25' Globetrotter. We already had plans to head back to Jackson Center again for service and a few small modifications in October. We've now run into a long list of warranty issues, but the only one that's actually pressing is the Dometic fridge. All of the sudden it stopped working and wouldn't show any signs of life on the little panel. We emptied the fridge and took our food out, planning to call JC tomorrow for an emergency appointment or to find a reputable dealer close to TN. No problem. All of the sudden, for no reason, it turned on again! I went to turn it off, it came right back on and it starts playing this little game. So I went and pulled every fuse after trying the battery disconnect switch to start troubleshooting and, but of course, we have now found that it's somehow wired to the battery. I'm not entirely sure how though...

Can anyone help? I looked at the little outside service panel and haven't the slightest clue what I'm looking at, but everything appears plugged in, very clean still (again, brand new!), and nothing obvious to me. I would only assume that something that may draw so much power would be fused and I just want to pull that fuse until we get back in for service. This beeping is driving us absolutely bonkers as it is absolutely incessant!

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:47 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Not sure if yours is exactly like my 27GT but there should be a 12 volt fuse for the controller board in your 12 volt fuse panel, remove it. Look in the outside refrigerator compartment for a 120 volt plug and pull it. That should cut all power to the refrigerator.

Sounds like you may need a new control board, just my guess. Airstream tech support should be able to point you to an authorized Dometic service location near you, it doesn't have to be an Airstream dealer to fix it.

Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Call your dealer and sales rep ASAP, plus the Airstream 800 number in your paperwork. Light a fire!

In addition to the steps in Post #2, find the 12-volt circuit breaker for the fridge and throw that off. After waiting 5 minutes, try flipping the breaker back on, installing any fuses pulled, etc. to see it the fridge will re-boot itself.

Also there should be a Dometic pamphlet in your AS briefcase. Check that for FAQ and trouble-shooting tips.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Hi all!

Just an update, I reached out to Airstream and did some digging. The nearest repair center is in Alabama, which would work but for the fact that they’d need to keep it for at least two weeks, which simply wouldn’t work for us! We contacted corporate and we were able to confirm that there are no fuses that we can access or that anyone there is able to walk us through, but we found three 12V wires and unplugged them. All set for the beeping and we are hoping that there is a replacement fridge in the future but we cannot be certain.

We have adjusted to living without cold food, and given that the soonest we could get in was October, it seems like we will have a few more months before we will be able to have cold food again. I’ll tell you, I won’t soon be taking refrigeration for granted anytime soon!

Thanks for the help, folks! It’s nice to know there are people willing to give it a shot.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
You actually don't need an Airstream dealer, even under warranty, as they didn't build your refrigerator. Any factory authorized Dometic service center can fix it under the Dometic warranty.

I had my then new Dometic air conditioner fixed on the road under warranty with no questions and no issues.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i had the same issue today
beeps on ac or DC every 5 minutes

it is now fixed
easy solution

background
a few month ago i added two extra muffin fans under the upper cooling fins, i also added a curved piece of metal to force hot air out the door and not just up
there was a post on how to do this

with the refer switch on, i never heard the fans go on, even in the hottest conditions.

today is was beeping

i disconnected the thermal switch and made the refer switch a manual operation. now when refer is on, lower (AS supplied fan) and my two added upper fans go on.

2 minutes after the fans were on, the fins went from hot to very cool.

no more fridge beeping. this operation is non-destructive and easily restored if needed.
  • all you need to do is get two male spade connectors
  • remove the connections from the thermal switch
  • wire the two male spades inline
  • then connect them to the two female spade connections you removed

my thermal cutoff must be defective, as is likely yours

now if can manually turn on the fans if need and/or to improve the fridge efficiency
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
here is a link the the vent and fan solutions

that works especially if you have a defection thermal switch
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ge-195383.html
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Thanks for the advice! I am going to have this taken care of via warranty, but I am absolutely grateful for your response.