Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Menifee , California
Window lever knobs for our 2018 Int’l

Every time we open the windows- hold the little square knobs on the lever poles- we accidentally pull them off or they turn because they aren’t attached; they’re just slid on, not screwed on or tight. Is there a little screw used to tighten them on that’s possibly missing?
Reeltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:03 AM   #2
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Reeltimer,

Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:32 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
You can replace the cheap plastic ones with these chrome plated metal ones with a locking screw. I’ve done this throughout and looks nice.
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-294.htm
dmcgaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:30 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
The Panhandle , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgaugh View Post
You can replace the cheap plastic ones with these chrome plated metal ones with a locking screw. I’ve done this throughout and looks nice.
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-294.htm
Saw these installed on a Classic at a neighboring site on a recent trip. Immediately ordered them for all of our windows. Planning on switching out the cheap plastic ones the next trip out. If you do this mod be sure to use a drop of blue Locktite on each set screw to keep them from vibrating out.
Hoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie View Post
Saw these installed on a Classic at a neighboring site on a recent trip. Immediately ordered them for all of our windows. Planning on switching out the cheap plastic ones the next trip out. If you do this mod be sure to use a drop of blue Locktite on each set screw to keep them from vibrating out.
Did this for our Airsteam recently. $70 for fourteen knobs plus shipping. $85 or so total. Not a cheap upgrade, but looks great. I even put some red reflective tape on the tops of the two for the window behind the bed - the escape hatch. This originally had two red plastic knobs. Used blue locktite too. Be careful to wipe off the excess so you don't stain curtains or seat cushions.
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Menifee , California
Window lever knobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi Reeltimer,

Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.
I called AS Customer Service this a.m.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Menifee , California
Window lever knobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi Reeltimer,

Thanks.
I called AS Customer Service this a.m. and I was told to take it in to service and they'll grind down a flat spot on the shafts and apply a silicon glue on them that would hold the knob in place. ok So my next question is: Is Airstream handling this at the factory now, before delivery? Or are they leaving it up to the customer to find it and fix this issue instead. I don't get it. What if I bought a new truck and the all the door handles were falling off wouldn't you think that would be ridiculous? The CS rep that I spoke with was very matter-of-fact about it, like yeah that's how we're handling that... this is obviously a thing going on with a lot of their trailers. hmmm
Old 02-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeltimer View Post
I called AS Customer Service this a.m. and I was told to take it in to service and they'll grind down a flat spot on the shafts and apply a silicon glue on them that would hold the knob in place. ok So my next question is: Is Airstream handling this at the factory now, before delivery? Or are they leaving it up to the customer to find it and fix this issue instead. I don't get it. What if I bought a new truck and the all the door handles were falling off wouldn't you think that would be ridiculous? The CS rep that I spoke with was very matter-of-fact about it, like yeah that's how we're handling that... this is obviously a thing going on with a lot of their trailers. hmmm
Gosh, on my 2007 Classic, the rods already had a flat spot and the cheap plastic knobs had an allen head set screw. They still were a bother. The metal ones noted above cured the issue and are more suitable for a high end AS.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:34 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeltimer View Post

Just get the chrome ones from vintage trailersupply.com and be done with it. For $100 it is well worth the investment and way less hassle than a service trip to a dealership with the possibility of iffy results and you still have the cheap, ugly plastic knobs.