Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Friends of Dorothy
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
CO gals

If you do a FOD rally in CO, let us know. We would love to join you... We bought ours a little over a year ago and love it. We hit southern CO, Rocky Mtn Nat Park, and Moab multiple times last summer.

We are planning our fly fishing and cycling airstream adventures for next summer already!
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #162
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Rocky Point looks neat, whats the set up? Cost, things to do?
Rodney, we normally stay at Playa Bonita RV Park which costs around $25 per night with full hookups, for beach front. They have a laundry facility, bar and a huge hot tub. There are several RV parks in the area, you can even dry camp at the Reef RV Park and park right on the beach sand.

Rocky Point is only 57 miles south of the U.S. Border and very simple and easy to navigate. There is a two lane border crossing in Lukeville, AZ. You proceed through the small town of Sonoyta and proceed south to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point). The road from Sonoyta is a two lane highway that cuts through several ranches, farms and a couple of Mexican National Parks one is the Pinacate Volcano, which I understand is a cool thing to explore.

Once in RP, there are several things to do.. beach, fishing charters, bar hop, sun set cruises, lots of good restaurants and fresh seafood from the Sea of Cortez.

It really is a fun place and frequented by many American and Canadian Snowbirds during the winter months.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #163
2 Rivet Member

New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHall View Post
Rodney, we normally stay at Playa Bonita RV Park which costs around $25 per night with full hookups, for beach front. They have a laundry facility, bar and a huge hot tub. There are several RV parks in the area, you can even dry camp at the Reef RV Park and park right on the beach sand.

Rocky Point is only 57 miles south of the U.S. Border and very simple and easy to navigate. There is a two lane border crossing in Lukeville, AZ. You proceed through the small town of Sonoyta and proceed south to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point). The road from Sonoyta is a two lane highway that cuts through several ranches, farms and a couple of Mexican National Parks one is the Pinacate Volcano, which I understand is a cool thing to explore.

Once in RP, there are several things to do.. beach, fishing charters, bar hop, sun set cruises, lots of good restaurants and fresh seafood from the Sea of Cortez.

It really is a fun place and frequented by many American and Canadian Snowbirds during the winter months.
That sounds fantastic!

Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #164
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
It started out with a couple of days at an airstream-only park in Mystic Springs, then down to Sandestin for a couple of days in an incredibly beautiful state park there (Topsail Hill), and even one day right on the beach at Camping on the Beach (as seen in the Long, Long Honeymoon youtube videos).

Happy New Year everyone!

Dan & Bernie[/QUOTE]

Looks like a great trip! We had reservations for Topsail Hill and the weather helped us decide to be hotel tourists in New Orleans instead.

Maybe we need a Gulf Coast FOD rally next year, earlier in the year, like your trip. A Progressive Rally! (unintended political pun)

We live in Indy but love to head for the MS, FL, & AL coasts. Fly fishing for speckled trout and redfish in-shore is part of the fun.

Anne
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #165
2 Rivet Member

Anne, we're going to take off a week at the beginning of February and just drive south til we hit water and warmer weather... most likely New orleans and then over to the panhandle.

Know a good hotel in NOLA??

Old 01-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #166
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen
Anne, we're going to take off a week at the beginning of February and just drive south til we hit water and warmer weather... most likely New orleans and then over to the panhandle.

Know a good hotel in NOLA??
Well, like I said, we did the tourist way, found a nice air/hotel package on Travelocity. We had a nice time at the Intercontinental. We liked the equal access to the Warehouse District and the French Quarter, nice walks either way. The hotel is on St. Charles and Poydras, perfect to catch the Uptown streetcar out the front door, and on the downtown side on Carondelet, you can hop off at Poydras and go around the block. (Carondelet becomes Bourbon when you cross Canal into the Quarter.)

I have also stayed at The Royal St. Charles, just a block or so toward the Quarter on St. Charles. It's smaller and not all the amenities of Intercontinental, but still nice.

If you like boutique hotels, W is nice. We walked by every day and admired the touches of Japanese garden nook and a reflecting pool in the valet entry. They didn't have to go to all that trouble. Friends who stayed there liked it, had a room up high with nice views of the river and the city. Intercontinental is strictly business when it comes to decor and a view. It's fine, but nothing to write home about.

The bed at the Intercontinental was so good to come home to. One of those luxury hotels on TV advertising the best bed in the world was not aware of this hotel's beds. I could go on and on... Speaking of which -- although NOLA is all FOD-friendly and all, we have had trouble at some hotels with booking a king only to find at check-in that we were assumed to want 2 doubles. Instead of assuming, they asked, to be sure, and we got what we booked.

We only ate in on our first night. It was Christmas, freezing cold, and wind at 40 mph. Few walkable restaurants were open. We went to the bar and had small plates and enjoyed the Mediterranean theme, salads and hummus and so forth. We made up for it later as the week warmed up. Madrina's near City Park, Mother's (on Poydras, just a few blocks toward the Riverwalk), Camellia Grill (streetcar all the way uptown to Carrollton). We watched a lot of sports and had poboys in the Checkered Parrott, on Royal (St. Charles becomes Royal once you cross Canal into the Vieux Carre).

I've said way too much now! I'm an Alabama native-- have to answer a question with a story.

Have fun! Should be a good time to go. Not quite wild yet for Carnivale, but all the fun! I guess you see my bias for relaxing and simple.

One thing you might get to enjoy that we didn't is Oak Street. Everything was closed and quiet. We peeped into lots of galleries and little cafes, but only a couple of coffee shops (free wifi) were available.

We had no trouble finding free wifi, by the way. The city is very friendly that way.

I must stop. Your eyes must be tired!
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #167
2 Rivet Member

Wow!! Thanks for the detailed reply!!! You definitely sound passionate about the place, which is really nice. Most of the recommendations I have for NOLA are from college kids who work for me... they involve super cheap accommodations and access to rivers of low priced booze.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #168
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAnne
It started out with a couple of days at an airstream-only park in Mystic Springs, then down to Sandestin for a couple of days in an incredibly beautiful state park there (Topsail Hill), and even one day right on the beach at Camping on the Beach (as seen in the Long, Long Honeymoon youtube videos).

Happy New Year everyone!

Dan & Bernie
Looks like a great trip! We had reservations for Topsail Hill and the weather helped us decide to be hotel tourists in New Orleans instead.

Maybe we need a Gulf Coast FOD rally next year, earlier in the year, like your trip. A Progressive Rally! (unintended political pun)

We live in Indy but love to head for the MS, FL, & AL coasts. Fly fishing for speckled trout and redfish in-shore is part of the fun.

Anne[/QUOTE]

Love FL Gulf Coast! FOD rally would be fun...
Old 01-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #169
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Charlottetown , Canada
FOD rally would be great......we have the place... own a campground, but GEEZ.. you are all SOOOO far away...
lonely out here in Prince Edward Island Canada
www.baysidervcampground.com
WBCCI9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #170
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBCCI9898
FOD rally would be great......we have the place... own a campground, but GEEZ.. you are all SOOOO far away...
Are you kidding me? That Jag pulled that 34' airstream? Lol The picture on the website in the campground. Omg! Is that even safe? Wow cool. Hmm. Campground looks very nice.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #171
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
hi, luvin the 'Friends of Dorothy' thread! Single, and STILL no Airstream, but hoping to change that status this June. Keep your fingers crossed, found an '83 280 Turbo Diesel in Virginia! Now all I have to do is 'convince' the owner to sell it to me! Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #172
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw
hi, luvin the 'Friends of Dorothy' thread! Single, and STILL no Airstream, but hoping to change that status this June. Keep your fingers crossed, found an '83 280 Turbo Diesel in Virginia! Now all I have to do is 'convince' the owner to sell it to me! Thanks, Derek
Love my 87 345! They say the diesel is great too!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #173

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBCCI9898
Nice campground! I also love the Jag. Is that the work of CamAm?
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #174
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Welcome Derek,

We have a friend who has an 81 280 turbo diesel it is a very cool motor home Good luck on your aquisition.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
Old 01-06-2011, 06:27 AM   #175
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
Nice campground! I also love the Jag. Is that the work of CamAm?
That is soo cool the Jag pulling the 34. I would love to find a vintage station wagon to pull our vintage trailer.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
Old 01-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #176
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBCCI9898 View Post
Wow - I checked out your web site and you even have photos of Toto. How appropriate.

I laughed when I saw the title of this thread. Our acronyms are so funny - any of you use PLU in addition to FOD?

Sandy
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:34 AM   #177
3 Rivet Member

man. i think i remember when this thread was only a page or two no look at it and quite lively to boot. we have kids in lafayette,co not far from longmont. we definitely hope to get a rally somewhere it would be so over the rainbow!
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #178
3 Rivet Member

took a look at bayside rv campground on net too. the green blinded my arizona eyes. now we have another destination to put on the wish list. thanks for sharing your little jewel
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #179

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtgrls
took a look at bayside rv campground on net too. the green blinded my arizona eyes. now we have another destination to put on the wish list. thanks for sharing your little jewel
It's funny, I posted this almost a year ago and didn't see a lot of interest and then BAM! This thread took off! It's been a fun thread and it would be fun to have a rally but everyone is so spread out. Colorado has been put out there but so has Branson, MO from people further south. Maybe a poll to see where we have the most intrest or have a couple of dueling rallies!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #180
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
Wow - I checked out your web site and you even have photos of Toto. How appropriate.

I laughed when I saw the title of this thread. Our acronyms are so funny - any of you use PLU in addition to FOD?

Sandy
I use PLU too (People Like Us)...funny!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote