Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Friends of Dorothy
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #101
2 Rivet Member

New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
This addiction hits pretty hard! Once I saw my first AS (Swiss Army ed) I searched every day for months until I found the perfect AS for us. 2006 19' CCD. Good luck on your search. What size are u looking for? Have fun.
We've been looking at motorhomes for so long we're not sure what length AS to get. We're 50 and 51 years old so we're thinking whatever we buy is what we'll full time in when we retire in a few years... so maybe a 25' or 27'.

Lots to learn, but fun!
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #102

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
27' is a great size to full-time in. Are looking for a new unit or used? I went the pre enjoyed route so I wouldn't have to finance it. If you find a gently used one you can save a ton of money and depreciation. There are tons of people who will inspect it for you as well. Mine was 1300 miles (one way) away and it was worth every mile. Have fun.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:25 AM   #103
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
27' is a great size to full-time in. Are looking for a new unit or used? I went the pre enjoyed route so I wouldn't have to finance it. If you find a gently used one you can save a ton of money and depreciation. There are tons of people who will inspect it for you as well. Mine was 1300 miles (one way) away and it was worth every mile. Have fun.
We're definitely looking "pre enjoyed" (love that BTW ). I saw that there are a lot of folks willing to inspect, what a wonderful option!
Old 12-21-2010, 07:42 AM   #104

Olathe , Kansas
The classifieds on AIR is where we found ours. There was a great 2004 28' on there but it didn't last long. A 25' would be my perfect size but if full timing a 27' gives you a lot more space. How close are you to Joliet? There is a dealer @ there and you could look at new units and sit in different sizes to get a feel for them, that where I sat in my first AS and fell in love with them. PM me if u want any help.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #105
2 Rivet Member

We're downstate a couple of hours, saw the Joliet dealer and thought it would make a fun weekend trip... if the roads EVER clear off a bit. Don't the weather gods KNOW we need to RV shop!?!?
Old 12-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen View Post
Thanks fellas!

Blmitch5 - We'll look into it, this bug is biting hard... might end up buying sooner than we expected.
Welcome!

Yup - when it bites it, bites hard! We bought our 28' almost 3 years ago. Neither of us had ever spent one night in any type of RV before we bought. Talk about taking a risk! Well, we fell in love with it.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
We're downstate a couple of hours, saw the Joliet dealer and thought it would make a fun weekend trip... if the roads EVER clear off a bit. Don't the weather gods KNOW we need to RV shop!?!?

FYI, I've never seen much inventory at this dealer. I frequently drive by on the interstate and have stopped by ony once. AS sems to be a sideline for him?????

I'd go the other way and go to Bill Thomas in Wentzville, MO.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #108
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod View Post
Welcome!

Yup - when it bites it, bites hard! We bought our 28' almost 3 years ago. Neither of us had ever spent one night in any type of RV before we bought. Talk about taking a risk! Well, we fell in love with it.
We're hoping it's a great choice for us as well, we REALLY miss camping these days.

BTW - we lived in Bernalillo back in 2000, my SO was working a grant position at UNM. LOVED it out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
FYI, I've never seen much inventory at this dealer. I frequently drive by on the interstate and have stopped by ony once. AS sems to be a sideline for him?????

I'd go the other way and go to Bill Thomas in Wentzville, MO.
Thanks so much for the heads up, MO is a tad warmer right now anyway.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
We're hoping it's a great choice for us as well, we REALLY miss camping these days.

BTW - we lived in Bernalillo back in 2000, my SO was working a grant position at UNM. LOVED it out there.

Thanks so much for the heads up, MO is a tad warmer right now anyway.
Bill Thomas updates their inventory on their website regularly and you can take a tour online at Missouri RV Dealer | New and Used RV Sales | Airstream, Heartland, Forest River

I bought near new from a non AS dealer in St. Louis, but Glenn Thomas has always treated me like I bought from him. Consequently he gets my parts an accessories business. He has spent a lot of time on the phone with me and answered all my questions thoroughly. Even called A/S for me to get me some wiring diagram questions answered. That's the kind of service which will ensure my next A/S will come from him.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #110

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtle lynn View Post
Oops I wasn't ready for that to send. Lol. We bought our first AS over 3 years ago and since that had 2 others. We are now on a 87 classic 345 and love it. We just got it about two months ago. We love AS so much we started collecting them. We now have 9 AS and 1 classic motorhome. We are in our 30's and have a great time camping. We went as far as NY this past summer. I am from NY and we figured when we would go up to visit family why not take an AS and stop at a FOD cg on way. We stopped in Gibson PA oneita cg it was a blast. We just got the classic motorhome about 3 months ago and been polishing out since we got it. Working in motor stuff (me) Scott the interior fabrics lol. We have a ways to go but getting there. The pics of the motorhome is at a cg in GA about 4 weeks ago and the one with the sovereign is in PA few months ago. And the sovereign in Savannah GA for St Patty. Happy camping. Looks us up if ever in Athens GA.
WOW! Now that is a beautiful job polishing guys! So, did the two of you do that or was it one of you on a mission? Did you do it inside or was it out int the weather? Did you put a layer of wax over it or did you clear coat it again?

I'm thinking of doing that to our moho and have been wondering how much wow it might be....
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #111

Olathe , Kansas
Ok boys and girls, we need to have a rally this summer. Maybe Colorado? Let me know your thoughts on This.

Brad and Zell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-100779163.png
Views:	148
Size:	917.7 KB
ID:	117517  
Old 12-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Okay, so how is it that I haven't seen this thread until now?! FOD in Vancouver, BC here. Just me and my 'kids', a pair of 6 year old Labradors.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #113

Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
Okay, so how is it that I haven't seen this thread until now?! FOD in Vancouver, BC here. Just me and my 'kids', a pair of 6 year old Labradors.
We love Labs! We have two as well, Tanner and Chelsea. The other pic is me (green shirt) and my better half Zell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4120500515.png
Views:	168
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	117532   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-490209926.png
Views:	146
Size:	917.7 KB
ID:	117533  

Old 12-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Handsome pups! How old are they? My black lab, Samm, is from Kansas. I rescued him from a shelter when he was just under a year old. Kai is my chocolate boy and got him when he was 7 weeks old.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:23 AM   #115
2 Rivet Member

Gorgeous pups, guys! We sure miss our girls, we had two beautiful Border Collies but lost them six years ago. We work and travel too much to have pups now... but if we get an AS that will definitely change.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #116

Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
Handsome pups! How old are they? My black lab, Samm, is from Kansas. I rescued him from a shelter when he was just under a year old. Kai is my chocolate boy and got him when he was 7 weeks old.
Tanners 10 and Chelseas 7. We got Tanner as a pup from a farmer and adopted Chelsea from a rescue group. Poor thing was from a puppy mill. They are great campers even in the Bambi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen
Gorgeous pups, guys! We sure miss our girls, we had two beautiful Border Collies but lost them six years ago. We work and travel too much to have pups now... but if we get an AS that will definitely change.
I travel every week but Zell work close to home so we will always have two. when you get your AS get some puppies! They will learn to travel and they bring a lot of laughs on the road!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #117
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
I travel every week but Zell work close to home so we will always have two. when you get your AS get some puppies! They will learn to travel and they bring a lot of laughs on the road!
We used to tent camp with our two, we had a little two man tent at first and every night was like a chinese fire drill trying to get all of into the tent and settled. A few times of sleeping with two dogs draped all over us, snoring peacefully while we stared at the tent roof all night moved us to a bigger tent.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #118
3 Rivet Member

we loves co.
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #119
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Brad, the Labs will be happy wherever their food dish is. We spent nearly a year living full time in the Trade Wind while my house was being built. There was plenty of room for us and the pups adapted to trailer life very well.

Samm enjoying his supper:

And Kai peaking outside the trailer, wondering who dares to wake him from his nap:

Old 12-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
One reason I don't live near Cleveland any longer - SNOW - which is definitely a 4 letter word.

You should also consider a long day trip over to "The Mothership" - the Airstream factory. Located in Jackson Center Ohio. (NW of Columbus) They run a daily factory tour at lunch time and especially on Friday's if the week's production is done, the workers leave early... It's a primo opportunity to snoop around a bunch of new units while they're still on the line. Many dealers don't carry a full line of Airstreams, but especially towards spring you can generally see one of everything at the factory.

There's also a bicycle museum about 30 miles west of JC that I really enjoyed - of course we drove past it three times before having the OH, THERE it is minute. Big as an elephant - don't know how my sister and I missed it.

Paula