Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2016, 04:39 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Pittsford , New York
We've had the 26U for several months now. When parked, the table is stable and doesn't present any problems. The table is split in half so you can use one half angled sideways and the dinette feels more like two couches with a table in between or you can angle it side-to-side like a regular table. When you put both in both halves, they latch together and you have two feet in the floor so it's very stable.

When underway, I've kept the table legs and tops in their storage closet under the TV. The legs securely connect to the floor but the tops just lay on top of the legs and I do fear that, if you hit a big bump, the table tops might come out of connector on the top. I haven't tried leaving the tables setup while underway as I'd never leave anything on top of the table while underway anyway so it only takes a minute to store the top and legs in the closet (and, in fact, the legs lock into place on the floor so I'd have no worries leaving the legs installed while underway and just storing the top
TG2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
TG....if you look at the list of AS trailers in the designation list, you can now add the 2016 26U FC to your info.

I pick up my 26U next week.
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:25 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Saw the 26U Twin @ the Tampa Rv Show yesterday. Like the Layout. Seems like there is lots of outside storage.With full awning package.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:09 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Baltimore , Maryland
We go to Colonial Airstream tomorrow to put a deposit on our 26U. We pick it up next month. We're excited! We really like the 26U layout.

Mike Robertson
Baltimore, MD
mkr1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #65
cac
1 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Tehachapi , California
Great! I'm picking my 26U up for good (after solar panels installed) next week. Upgraded from a Flying Cloud 20, which I loved but could not entertain in.
cac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:11 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
wait -- there's no 12v plugs in this unit? meh! that may be a deal killer; unless they can retrofit some in for me.
If you're talking about the 26U.....mine just arrived and it has 2 12v plugs. One on each side of the dinette just under the bottom of the cushions.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:18 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Has anyone with a 26U been able to angle the large TV in the galley area? On my walk through, the tech said in passing that the front TV doesn't angle outwards. Just wondering if that is true.

How then do you remove the TV if some work needs to be done on it or you want to replace it?
Old 01-30-2016, 05:56 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Since it can be rotated out to be viewed from outside the entrance door you can access the bolts on the VESA mount.

Kelvin
Old 01-30-2016, 06:29 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Since it can be rotated out to be viewed from outside the entrance door you can access the bolts on the VESA mount.

Kelvin
My question is....CAN the TV be rotated to to be viewed from outside the entrance door?

The smaller TV in the bedroom has a strap hanging down that you pull, releasing the arm and then you can angle the TV.

No such strap on the front TV.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:52 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
The Change

What started out as a trip to look at the new 26U at Foley RV, because I really liked the floor plan turned into selling my 23 foot Safari and about a month later purchasing a 2016 FC 28 Queen. When all said and done, we felt that the U shaped dinette was great, but we also felt that we had way more storage in the 23 footer that what the 26U offered and the 28 pretty well matched the 23 storage. That was the tipping point for getting the 28 footer. After living for the last month in our new AS, the biggest drawback is the coushions on the "L" lounge. No matter what way you relax, you slide down the lounge (very slick). Also, the foam is not supportive and uncomfortable after a very short while. One of the first things we are going to do is replace the foam, with marine grade foam for more support. I wondered why the U dinette could not be made available on the 28 footer. Sorry, I digress.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:52 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
My question is....CAN the TV be rotated to to be viewed from outside the entrance door?

The smaller TV in the bedroom has a strap hanging down that you pull, releasing the arm and then you can angle the TV.

No such strap on the front TV.
I watched a video demo of the 26U from Colonial Airstream, with the TV being rotated toward the door opening. But what the heck part of the country could you do this in without swarms of evening bugs be drawn toward the light of the tv and inside the Airstream. I cannot even leave our Airstream screen door open during the daytime, no tv light, without a collection of flying insects coming in.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:01 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
A better light that is more entertaining is a bug zapper light hanging from one end of the awning. Most are quick zaps, but occasionally one gets a good slow burner that really smokes - like a moth.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:36 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's useful when a neighbor puts out a Bug Zapper; it pulls all the bugs away from us and they go over there to swarm.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:59 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
26U- We went and looked for the 3rd time, at the new 26U yesterday. Although I love the U dining area, there are a few things the wife and I do not care for. As soon as you get in, it just does not offer the "open" feeling of other models, 25-27' up front; feels closed off. we felt the hallway was way too narrow and why did they put the fridg across from the bathroom door? You can't get by when open and you have to schlep food down the hall back to the kitchen, at least that was our observation. It is dark there in the hall, even with the skylight, compared to other models with wider hallways. We do like the larger bathroom with window, but we don't spend much time in the bath anyway. I would like to see some reviews from owners who have had on the road for a while, comparing experience...maybe were missing something. For us, the U shaped dining is great, and if they offered it like the aftermarket "Gourmet Kitchen" as shown by Airstream Adventures, I think they would have a real winner. No offense intended to new 26U owners....

Another thing we noticed as we wandered around looking at the other 2016 models, the new ceiling air vents were hanging down, in some models; I snapped a few back up there, but seems they could be doing those a bit better. Ducted air seems a real good addition. Also, outside storage; our 14' FC Front Twin has 3 outside storage areas; the rear Twin model, has 4, as I recall. These newer models seem to only offer 1 or 2 outside areas unless you get the twin models.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:14 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I watched a video demo of the 26U from Colonial Airstream, with the TV being rotated toward the door opening. But what the heck part of the country could you do this in without swarms of evening bugs be drawn toward the light of the tv and inside the Airstream. I cannot even leave our Airstream screen door open during the daytime, no tv light, without a collection of flying insects coming in.
True; but there are some locations on the west coast that do not have the bug issues; we notice a huge difference in SoCal camping versus Texas or even at our place in MT when it comes to bugs...but where you live, your right; as I recall in Minnesota, you can't even leave your keys out as the mosquitos will steal your car!
Old 01-31-2016, 10:46 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We looked at the 26U and thought it was a very good design for a small family in a compact travel trailer. Plenty of seating, a few choices of table/seating configurations, a usable galley and nice size bath. We thought the shower was considerably larger than any of the medium to large Airstreams. The center galley area is a little more confined than we have now, but with a larger wardrobe and shower these are decent tradeoffs.

As a long term camper for two retirees (like us) it suffers from that dang dinette/bed conversion feature that compromises long term seating comfort. We would love this 26U with a set of recliners or Classic-style sofa with retractible leg rest in front, with a folding table in between or alongside as they offered in earlier models. Then they would have to rename it, maybe 26R or 26S.

In queen bed form it is like as our present 25 RB which we like. In the twin bed form they will surely offer, it will be like the present 25 twin bed with three outside storage hatches to the bedroom.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:58 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
True; but there are some locations on the west coast that do not have the bug issues; we notice a huge difference in SoCal camping versus Texas or even at our place in MT when it comes to bugs...but where you live, your right; as I recall in Minnesota, you can't even leave your keys out as the mosquitos will steal your car!
Actually we seldom use our Airstream in Minnesota, we have a lake house there with very few to no mosquito problems. We do most of our travel/camping in the West. Yesterday, in New Mexico we had the screen door open to do some work at her mother's place and we're swatting bugs inside when done. Last week south of Tucson we had it open for some cleaning and same result.

Middle of winter were swatting bugs in the Southwest, I'll guarantee you no outdoor bug issues in Minnesota right now.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:31 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Actually we seldom use our Airstream in Minnesota, we have a lake house there with very few to no mosquito problems. We do most of our travel/camping in the West. Yesterday, in New Mexico we had the screen door open to do some work at her mother's place and we're swatting bugs inside when done. Last week south of Tucson we had it open for some cleaning and same result.

Middle of winter were swatting bugs in the Southwest, I'll guarantee you no outdoor bug issues in Minnesota right now.
We have been enjoying Borrego Springs this winter, and no issues in the desert either...nice time to camp in this area.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #79
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
We have been evaluating a number of different Airstreams and kept on coming back to the 26U. The U shaped dinette is the most comfortable by far and the ability to customize the table (one or two tables) and spin one around to provide ease and comfort was a winner. We also liked the integrated bathroom and shower and it seemed larger than other models. We didn't see the fridge door as an issue because we generally leave it closed. We didn't like the queen(ish) bed as it seemed short for me and awkward to get into for my wife as her side was on the bulkhead. We went with the twin which has longer beds and slightly wider than half a queen. It also opens up that end of the AS and provides a great place in-between the twins for the black lab to sleep.

We also like the additional external storage in the twin version versus the queen. Finally we added solar with AGM batteries so overall we believe this to be a great package for our needs. Of course, choosing your AS model is a very personal activity and we found the ideal set-up. We take delivery in a couple of weeks so will post photos then.
Tarcoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarcoola View Post
We have been evaluating a number of different Airstreams and kept on coming back to the 26U. The U shaped dinette is the most comfortable by far and the ability to customize the table (one or two tables) and spin one around to provide ease and comfort was a winner. We also liked the integrated bathroom and shower and it seemed larger than other models. We didn't see the fridge door as an issue because we generally leave it closed. We didn't like the queen(ish) bed as it seemed short for me and awkward to get into for my wife as her side was on the bulkhead. We went with the twin which has longer beds and slightly wider than half a queen. It also opens up that end of the AS and provides a great place in-between the twins for the black lab to sleep.

We also like the additional external storage in the twin version versus the queen. Finally we added solar with AGM batteries so overall we believe this to be a great package for our needs. Of course, choosing your AS model is a very personal activity and we found the ideal set-up. We take delivery in a couple of weeks so will post photos then.
Nice writeup. Sounds just like the 26U I brought home a few days ago and now resides in my driveway. The 26U with twins is the perfect choice for us as well. Enjoy.