Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2016, 08:57 PM   #181
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Cast Iron Collection & Fire Cooking

We used to demonstrate cooking raw eggs in the shell on a stick over hot coals. Old Cub Scout trick.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #182
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I came across a TV program called - A Taste of History. It was a PBS show for six seasons and can be found via Amazon Prime. Here is the path for season 6. http://www.amazon.com/A-Taste-Histor.../dp/B00YI2AIDA. He uses a lot of cast iron pieces and spiders to cook in and discusses historical foods and cooking methods. I find it quite interesting!
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:11 PM   #183
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
My son-in-law has a larger dutch oven with a handle like that. It must be about a 14" size, though fairly shallow.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:08 AM   #184
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Several years ago I found in an antique shop in upstate NY a pan that looks like an Aebelskiver pan on steroids.

The cooking wells are about twice the size of my traditional Aebelskiver pan. I'd never seen anything like it, and had to have it.

Cast iron, with a gate mark on the underside, the cooking side of it is coated in porcelain, covered in hairline cracks from use. There is a ridge formed around the under part of the outer edge, and two small handles rise upwards

Searching online....there are some serious cast iron collectors out there, organizations, conventions....a man who is a collector and has an Aebelskiver restaurant in California identified it as being made in the late 1800's, probably in Denmark. It was for some kind of cake, similar to Aebelskivers.

He said this pan was made to use on a wood cook stove, set in a well under which hot coals had been placed...thus the ridge and raised handles.

I don't have a photo of it with me. I've never used it, hung it on the wall by the wood stove.

It's beautiful.

Maggie
Old 02-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #185
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Maggie, you are right, some are beyond serious collectors..An example of what one individual I know, collects only these cast iron dimples.
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #186
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Is that what those are called...dimples?

I have a large DO bought for $15 in a junk store in WVA in 1972 or 73....which I always described as looking as if a ball peen hammer were taken to its surface. I've never seen another like it, and love it.

Cleaned it up and used it regularly while raising my kids, feeding grands, etc.....tho not so much these days.

That looks like a waffle or pizzelle iron, also made for a wood cook stove. ??

I have one similar, tho not dimpled.

Maggie
Old 02-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #187
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
Maggie, your dutch oven sounds like it has a "Hammered Finish". Those are much harder to find. Sometimes they came with a nickel finish over the hammered outside with the inside raw cast iron. Great piece to own.
Bluestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:48 PM   #188
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Maggie, they are called both, Dimpled, and/or Hammered finished..
Use whichever term that suits you. And, use your cast iron equally, as it suits you.
Yes, it is as you described it. I personally own several. which I use on my wood burning stove..to make that hardy breakfast while heating the space with the wood burning stove..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:05 AM   #189
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Not cast iron but un-coated carbon steel from Lodge. Discovered these a few months ago. First came the 12 inch and then the 8 inch. After a few uses they become throughly seasoned and simple to clean with a paper towel. For hard core baked on crud might take a few passes with a metal spatula to break it free and then a simple wipe out with the paper towel. After cleaning a few drops of oil to recoat and you are good to go. They make a nice addition to anyone's kitchen that are used to cast iron cooking. To me the biggest advantage is the weight, much lighter than cast iron. I have used them on open wood fires, gas and electric. All work equally well. Many professional chef's use these or similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	257350  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #190
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ditto to Michael on the Lodge steel skillets, for which the mfg. also stocks red silicone slip-on handles which can be left on near the campfire (but probably not over an open flame). Excellent savings in weight, very durable, and cannot crack the way cast iron can if it is dropped on a hard surface. Since we downsized to a FC20, every pound saved helps.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:44 PM   #191
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Guys, I think I am going to toss out all of my non-stick pans and get cast iron. Does anyone know of a place that sells pre-polished new cast iron items?

I understand Lodge stuff is very rough these days and that a very smooth cast iron pan is wonderful.

EDIT: I actually found these, they look wonderful:

http://finexusa.com/product-category/sets/

Anyone have or know of this brand?
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:48 PM   #192
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Go on ebay and look for a Griswold #8 skillet. Don't pay more than $35 for a pristine one and low shipping. Griswold was the finest cast iron ever made in America. The #8 skillet was the most common made so look for a low cost one, in nice shape, and decent shipping cost. Again, Griswold cast iron is thinner and smoother than anything made in the past 60 years.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:12 PM   #193
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Guys, I think I am going to toss out all of my non-stick pans and get cast iron. Does anyone know of a place that sells pre-polished new cast iron items?

I understand Lodge stuff is very rough these days and that a very smooth cast iron pan is wonderful.

Those Finex pans are beautiful. I've heard nothing but good things about them.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:48 PM   #194
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:

Have one Finex pan. It's very well made, pre-seasoned, looks weird but cooks well. One with a lid is all we could afford, you pay for the quality.

I have many others at home as well, but most are older Lodge pans from the factory outlet. At home I can dedicate smaller ones to cornbread only...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:27 AM   #195
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:

Suggestion, before tossing all you current pans buy some cast iron (any brand) and learn to use it. There can be a learning curve. There are times when a nice nonstick pan is good to have and nice to use.
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:40 AM   #196
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I was put off at first by the new Lodge pans' bumpiness as noted earlier, but have found that this actually gives them a non-stick quality! As Michael says, there is a learning curve but we use cast iron almost exclusively, even in the new smaller FC20. The heavy items live in the tow vehicle until needed.

Most new CI users are not careful to get the pan hot with oil before adding items to cook. Food WILL stick to a cold cast iron pan. Practice makes perfect. We have a CI omelette pan which never is used for anything else. It is as non-stick as any petro-chemical vessel when heated correctly before adding the eggs.

KISS !!!

No need for Finex at those prices!

eBay cast iron items have proved out also, especially odd-ball things like popover pans (taller than muffin pans).
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:56 AM   #197
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
Dido on old Griswold cast iron. The difference in lighter weight and quality compared to new Lodge is obvious. It is a joy to own and cook with.
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:05 AM   #198
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:

A flap wheel on an angle grinder smooth out those pans.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:10 AM   #199
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Suggestion, before tossing all you current pans buy some cast iron (any brand) and learn to use it. There can be a learning curve. There are times when a nice nonstick pan is good to have and nice to use.
Yes.

Maggie
Old 04-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I decided and went with the Finex set. I know they are heavy and expensive, but I figure that $500 over a lifetime isn't that much. Is it?
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote