Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2019, 06:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Well Batman, it says most springs are "el natural"! Is that you?
We hate scaring folks, so we usually wait until we alone to scare each other

There are quite a few places that we have been the only ones there.

I have to say that our personal favorite is Tecopa hot springs.
Out of the way, not much there. However there is a campground and for the same price you get unlimited use of the hot spring. This used to be men and women together, clothing very optional. Now there is a men's side and a women's side clothing optional. They also have private baths.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:19 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
That was one we were leaning on, not because of cost, but we hear it can be very nice. We believe the safest option would be a small caravan. I do not know much about traveling in Mexico, good reason to ask first here if someone has done it.
Hi

Very definitely do your homework and travel in a group. There are always areas you want to avoid. Unless your language skills are pretty good, having somebody along who speaks the local language *is* a good idea.

That said, "heading south" has been a very common answer for at least the last 40 years or so. I used to know of a number of folks who made it a regular process pretty much forever and ever ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Maybe this one is worth a look. Not sure what the weather is like on a regular basis. It rained a bunch to the North and cleared up for us from here and on to the South. However, that was late June.

http://www.americansunsetrv.com/rates/. $595/mth + electrical. It's close to the coast and while not really special, it is a nice park for a rest. The staff is friendly and they have a work program too.

This is one that I wanted to include in the prior post, but had a bit of an issue finding it. It is grass. The sites are back-in, but clear back to back, so you can pull through one site to park in the next one.

Pat
That looks like a great place in a fishing community. I will mark that down for a summer trip. Looks like the temps would be 35-50 during the fall season.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:24 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Very definitely do your homework and travel in a group. There are always areas you want to avoid. Unless your language skills are pretty good, having somebody along who speaks the local language *is* a good idea.

That said, "heading south" has been a very common answer for at least the last 40 years or so. I used to know of a number of folks who made it a regular process pretty much forever and ever ....

Bob
Yep, for first-timers, we would need a lot of help with this one. I really do want to do this if we can. Maybe more here will have information about a trip like this.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
fredericksburg , Texas
Fredericksburg Texas...Lady bird Johnson Park..or Fredericksburg Rv park on Highway street. Id say 500. a mo....truly the most beautiful part of Texas..Also Buckhorn Rv resort Kerrville Texas 20 miles away is very nice...you are one hour from San Antonio Texas 1.5 hours from Austin...ck it our
fbgairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:06 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Maybe this one is worth a look. Not sure what the weather is like on a regular basis. It rained a bunch to the North and cleared up for us from here and on to the South. However, that was late June.

http://www.americansunsetrv.com/rates/. $595/mth + electrical. It's close to the coast and while not really special, it is a nice park for a rest. The staff is friendly and they have a work program too.

This is one that I wanted to include in the prior post, but had a bit of an issue finding it. It is grass. The sites are back-in, but clear back to back, so you can pull through one site to park in the next one.

Pat
That looks like a great place in a fishing community. I will mark that down for a summer trip. Looks like the temps would be 35-50 during the fall season.

Yes, the Pacific NW is a wonderland, especially May-Sept, but having grown up in Portland area and spent the majority of my adult life in the Seattle area, I would like to comment on what the PNW coast is like in the winter: Rain, rain, and more rain. Sometimes drenching downpours that go on constantly for over a week --- been there, seen that. A plus is that it very seldom freezes, but the temps are typically mid to high 30s to mid to low 40s and LOTS OF RAIN. There's a spot on the mid WA coast --- Quinault, on the weather side of Olympic Natl Park --- that gets over 200 inches/yr. Now THAT's rain. Be forewarned! I would not want to spend the winter on the PNW coast unless I really got off on cold, rain, & storms. If that works for you, Go for it!
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Goodyear , Arizona
Not exactly cheap, but very nice is the Santa Ynez Valley in Santa Barbara County, CA. It's in the heart of wine country. Two places to stay there are Cachuma Lake County Park and Flying Flags RV Park in Buellton.
https://www.countyofsb.org/parks/cachuma.sbc
https://highwaywestvacations.com/properties/flyingflags
Winter is off-season there, so rates are a little cheaper.
leap-baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
That was one we were leaning on, not because of cost, but we hear it can be very nice. We believe the safest option would be a small caravan. I do not know much about traveling in Mexico, good reason to ask first here if someone has done it.
Along with 11 other streamers, we spent 2 months in the interior covering some 3500 miles. I don't think that's what you are looking for. That said, we did run across a number of solo travelers literally from around the world. Your best Mexico bets might be Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) located on the north end of the Sea of Cortez, or Baja. We did Rocky point a couple of years ago and totally enjoyed it, and its worth noting that the entire stretch from Lukeville (crossing point) to Rocky Point is designated a tourist zone. Still need Mexican auto and trailer insurance. It is not as warm as what areas on Baja may be, but a lot closer. There are a number of streamers who go to Baja annually, maybe they will chime in about their experiences. Final note, at least with AZ State parks, many water and electric sites are already booked.....tic toc!
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:03 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Winter RV

Several great RV parks on the interstate between Phoenix & Tuscon. Suggest you get there early and find out which community serves your needs the best
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:14 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
1957 18' Wanderer
Marfa , Everywhere
Chiming in just because.....we are full timers, well acquainted with California because we left Los Angeles after 40 years. The Eastern Sierra hot springs thing is great, but not in winter. You'll be buried in 120+ inches of snow, and I don't think that's what you're looking for. I would vote for the area around Palm Springs, which is a playground for the (ahem) mature community. Great food, museums, hiking, biking trails, close proximity to Joshua Tree NP, and the Mountains above the valley. We have spent the last two winters in Desert Hot Springs, soaking in the natural mineral water. Full hookups for about $600.00 plus your electric bill ($35.00 month). Day trips to Borrego Springs (also great opportunities for free boon docking), Salton Sea and the JTNP. So much to explore; or you can just sit under a palm tree. Friends can fly into the Palm Springs International Airport. Lots of AirBnB or "spa-tels" in the hills of Desert Hot Springs. The town itself doesn't have a lot to offer, but in DHS you are 20 minutes from everything worth seeing and doing in the Coachella Valley. You can take the tram up to the top of 11,000 ft Mount San Jacinto, to the snow, for the day or for the sunset. And then when you're ready you can head east to Quartzite or Phoenix or Tucson or Bisbee or..........anywhere. Just make sure you're south enough to not get caught in the polar vortex. And Los Angeles is just two hours away....... the Getty Center, the Huntington Library and Gardens, world class food, theatre .....etc. etc etc.......safe travels .........message me if you need more info.
57Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #31
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Another thing to dive into:

What ( = how much) are you trying to avoid? We lived in Ohio for a number of years and don't need a lesson on what a winter can be like there. Here in PA things are *much* less crazy.

Are you after no snow at all?

Are you after highs that never get below 50 degrees?

Does the sun need to come out every day and hot coffee sprout from trees each morning ?

I'm happier here, simply with less snow / less cold. I would not want to live here in an AS come January. However, if I went a bit south of here and a little closer to the coast, it would be likely be pretty livable.

If I bump that out to "on the coast" and turn "a little south" into "south of Charleston", it can be pretty nice most winters. Move back into the mountains .... not quite as much.

I ask because there are indeed a range of locations popping up and they span a wide range of likely weather conditions.

Bob
Old 07-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Wanderer View Post
Chiming in just because.....we are full timers, well acquainted with California because we left Los Angeles after 40 years. The Eastern Sierra hot springs thing is great, but not in winter. You'll be buried in 120+ inches of snow, and I don't think that's what you're looking for. I would vote for the area around Palm Springs, which is a playground for the (ahem) mature community. Great food, museums, hiking, biking trails, close proximity to Joshua Tree NP, and the Mountains above the valley. We have spent the last two winters in Desert Hot Springs, soaking in the natural mineral water. Full hookups for about $600.00 plus your electric bill ($35.00 month). Day trips to Borrego Springs (also great opportunities for free boon docking), Salton Sea and the JTNP. So much to explore; or you can just sit under a palm tree. Friends can fly into the Palm Springs International Airport. Lots of AirBnB or "spa-tels" in the hills of Desert Hot Springs. The town itself doesn't have a lot to offer, but in DHS you are 20 minutes from everything worth seeing and doing in the Coachella Valley. You can take the tram up to the top of 11,000 ft Mount San Jacinto, to the snow, for the day or for the sunset. And then when you're ready you can head east to Quartzite or Phoenix or Tucson or Bisbee or..........anywhere. Just make sure you're south enough to not get caught in the polar vortex. And Los Angeles is just two hours away....... the Getty Center, the Huntington Library and Gardens, world class food, theatre .....etc. etc etc.......safe travels .........message me if you need more info.
And don't forget La Quinta (not far away from PS or Borrego) has a nice big Costco!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We are looking for 50-60 or higher in the daytime. We are not opposed to cool weather areas. Just keep the white stuff from blocking the light from the skylights.

We love to explore small towns and, you guessed it, the restaurants and breweries across the county. We have an 80 lb. Dog Maddie that is with us and we try to get her out on the trails when available for dogs. That has been a problem. We are careful of desert sites that include the weed foxtail.

Palm Springs is one of our favorites with its great restaurants and community events. Morgan Hill, CA is another of our favorites. We've spent a considerable amount of time in Lake Havasu, AZ. Enjoyed the RZRs and that whole 4 wheel scene. Moab is another one of our favorite places. A younger crowd, but heck, I don't feel that old! We boondocked at Sand Flats for 6 days. Beautiful national parks in the area. We love finding small breweries and meeting new people. We do not think we would enjoy Quartzite. We passed through several times and kept going.

In the east, we like coastal towns. We love Moorhead city in North Caroline. Blue Marlin fishing tournament is a favorite. We've camped in Charleston and Savannah. We loved New Orleans also. Florida is not my wife's favorite place. I do enjoy the gulf coast side and the Carribean atmosphere. We are huge seafood eaters. I could go back and stay in Florida. We just need a location that my wife would fall in love with!

We spent a lot of time in Mountainview California as my son and his wife live there. Google guy! Let's just say I'm spending his inheritance. He doesn't need it!

We enjoy going to Napa valley and exploring northern CA. San Fransisco in its current state is a pass. We stayed close to Morgan hill south of San Jose when we were there for the holidays in Dec.

There, you have a bit of information about what we like.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
We are looking for 50-60 or higher in the daytime. We are not opposed to cool weather areas. Just keep the white stuff from blocking the light from the skylights.

We love to explore small towns and, you guessed it, the restaurants and breweries across the county. We have an 80 lb. Dog Maddie that is with us and we try to get her out on the trails when available for dogs. That has been a problem. We are careful of desert sites that include the weed foxtail.

Palm Springs is one of our favorites with its great restaurants and community events. Morgan Hill, CA is another of our favorites. We've spent a considerable amount of time in Lake Havasu, AZ. Enjoyed the RZRs and that whole 4 wheel scene. Moab is another one of our favorite places. A younger crowd, but heck, I don't feel that old! We boondocked at Sand Flats for 6 days. Beautiful national parks in the area. We love finding small breweries and meeting new people. We do not think we would enjoy Quartzite. We passed through several times and kept going.

In the east, we like coastal towns. We love Moorhead city in North Caroline. Blue Marlin fishing tournament is a favorite. We've camped in Charleston and Savannah. We loved New Orleans also. Florida is not my wife's favorite place. I do enjoy the gulf coast side and the Carribean atmosphere. We are huge seafood eaters. I could go back and stay in Florida. We just need a location that my wife would fall in love with!

We spent a lot of time in Mountainview California as my son and his wife live there. Google guy! Let's just say I'm spending his inheritance. He doesn't need it!

We enjoy going to Napa valley and exploring northern CA. San Fransisco in its current state is a pass. We stayed close to Morgan hill south of San Jose when we were there for the holidays in Dec.

"We just need a location that my wife would fall in love with!"
When you find that place, please do share!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:12 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Watching
Old 07-19-2019, 08:03 PM   #36
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
There is an interesting park South of Winters just off the 505. The Vineyard RV Park has been around a while, has a lot of gravel and a new section that is a bit nicer. Close to the Interstate, but behind a grove of large trees that buffer the noise. It's close to the Bay Area, Napa and Sacramento. If you like to trout fish, there is a section of stream below the Berryessa dam. Nov-April, don't wade over spawning beds or cast over spawning fish. https://putahcreektrout.org

Note, if you would rather be on the creek, there is a private park that rents RV space. It's located just below the dam.

There is a Caravan to Mexico scheduled for Jan 2020. Might be what you want. https://wbccicaravan.wbcci.net/2020-caravans/

Lots of places to go and things to see. Maybe 2019/2020 you visit CA/Mexico and 2020/2021 you stay in Florida for the salt water fishing. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
There is an interesting park South of Winters just off the 505. The Vineyard RV Park has been around a while, has a lot of gravel and a new section that is a bit nicer.
Pat, thanks. This fills a huge void for decent rv parks in mid sacto valley. We have been overnighting at the Yolo Co fairgrounds. close the N/S I5 as well as Napa and central CoCo Cty where i grew u up. I guess I'm still locked into 505 being a 2 lane country rd with great oranges in Winters and the back door to Berryessa. American Sunset looks great, thx!

B
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:47 AM   #38
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:

In the east, we like coastal towns. ....... We are huge seafood eaters. I could go back and stay in Florida. We just need a location that my wife would fall in love with!

Hi

Other than the safety issue (and that's not a small consideration !!!!) it sounds a lot like you are describing Baja.

One other consideration, when you *do* find the ideal location, it's likely that others have found it as well. If you toss in "I don't like crowds" ..... hmmm....

Bob
Old 07-20-2019, 08:15 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I have nothing to offer cause I've never travelled like you suggest in post 1 but I'm interested. I'm a little surprised that no one mentioned Florida as a possibility. At one time it used to be the place to go in the winter.
Oh, on edit I see that Florida was mentioned, sorry.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:58 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Other than the safety issue (and that's not a small consideration !!!!) it sounds a lot like you are describing Baja.

One other consideration, when you *do* find the ideal location, it's likely that others have found it as well. If you toss in "I don't like crowds" ..... hmmm....

Bob
I'm looking into PKI's Mexico solution right now. $9500 ! 70 nights and it looks like includes some hotels, 40 meals, excursions, campground expenses, guards . . .

Tom & Doty