Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2004, 02:11 PM   #1
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Storing (storage) of Honda Gen. winter months...

Greetings.

I am deciding the best way to store my Honda 2000 generator during the winter months. The manual says to empty main tank, and drain the carborator thing, as well as change the oil.

I've only used the gen. for about 12-14 hours since I've had it, so I think I will forgo the oil change.

I was wondering if it is OK to leave the gas tank completely filled, then store it, and every few weeks let it run for 15 minutes to keep fresh gas in the carb. Re-top off gas.

This would not only make life easier, but I would have an emergency source of a small amount AC, in the event of world Jihad.

The Honda will be kept in my heated basement, with the cap vent OFF, and safely away from any kind of flame.

If anyone has any thoughts or expert opinions, please let me know.

Jonathan
Old 11-07-2004, 02:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Jonathan, While I won't be winterizing mine, I have been mixing Sta-Bil into the gas tank (and into my gas can) as it does sit in my garage for months at a time. It seemed to work fine the last time I ran it.
Ken
Old 11-08-2004, 02:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I also vote for the Stabil, modern gas has a pretty short shelf life. But I would change the oil, and run it with a load to get it warmed up real well, something like an electric heater that will make it work. Oil is pretty cheap compared to parts and if you only run it for 15 minutes under no/light load it won't burn all the contaminants out.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:19 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

crazylev,

I have great respect for Honda engines as I have used Honda generators and motor cycles for years. I am also a great believer in Stabil fuel stablizer. But my experience and that of my neighbor, who's family has owned and operated a tool rental and repair facility for three generations, recommend that you drain the fuel completely out of the engine if left unused for long periods of time.

Even though Stabil will prelong the life of the fuel, it does not stop the fuel from leaching out varnishes. These varnishes coat all parts of the fuel system including the jets. The smaller the engine the smaller the jets, and the faster the jets become clogged. This results in ruff running or a no start condition. In order to correct this, the fuel systems has to be disasembled and cleaned with solvent.

On a new engine, it is better to change the oil earlier than later. Otherwise, I would not change the oil with such low hours.

If you need to use the stored and drained generator at any time, just add fresh stabilized fuel from an approved container and your good to go.

My little Honda generator has been going strong since 1985.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:32 AM   #5
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Many thanks for the answers.

Maybe I will change the oil. It uses such a small amount, that it seems like a good thing to do in any case.

I've got about a half tank (1/2 gallon) left in my tank. Any good ideas for getting it out. I have a syphon thing that has a rubber hand pump between to hoses, and there is supposed to be a way to disconnect the fuel line and drain the crab. I'll check my manual.

Thanks.

Jonathan
Old 11-08-2004, 11:30 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

crazylev,

The bigger Honda generators have a drain. The smaller ones don't. Use whatever method you can to remove as much fuel as you can. Then run the generator until it quits, wait awhile and start gain. Keep doing this until all the fuel is gone. This may take awhile, those Honda engine run a long time on very little gas.

This is the same procedure for outboard motors except it is easy to diconnect the fuel line before or during running the engine out of fuel.