Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Macbook (white), Macbook Pro, and iPad. Plus an iPod touch for tunes in the TV and Airstream. Life is good
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #162
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
Nothings perfect but The Mac has less headaches and works well in our Airsteam plugged into the TV
Braunbear66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #163
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbear66 View Post
Nothings perfect but The Mac has less headaches and works well in our Airsteam plugged into the TV
Power user!
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #164
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I am 100% Windows on a PC. I don't like anything that is closed source. I can install anything I want anytime I want and I can build my own computers and put whatever parts I want in them. I have access to the operating system in Windows and can hack it. The cost of an apple and the software is more than a used Airstream. I can put a PC together for $500. I can get all kinds of stuff to go in the computer. I don't have to spend $1000 on an apple widget when I can get the same thing for a PC for $50. Now if all you do is surf the internet then it don’t matter what you use. If you are computer illiterate you are better off with an apple.

Perry
I've built computes in the past but nothing you can put together with off-the-shelf parts can compare to the finished quality of a system in which the software and hardware were designed to work together specifically.

I really don't like the term "computer illiterate" because it propagates the idea that computers should be difficult for someone without special training to operate. Power users, people who build their own systems and like to hack the OS, are vastly out numbered by people who just want to browse the internet, email pictures of the dog and listen to some music. The Mac is FAR better at those tasks, and yet, can satisfy even power users.

I spend most of my day using a computer, am more than computer literate and have made the choice to use a mac because its easy to use, I spend almost no time maintaining the system, and because I can do anything that I want to on it.

All the research that I've seen tends to show that mac users are, in fact, more "computer literate" than their PC counterparts (for example: Are Mac users smarter? - CNET News)
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:48 AM   #165
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
Prince George , Virginia
Ipad2 with HDMI connected to AS HDTV go flex wireless HD to store data and movies, nothing else.
mcintoshMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:10 AM   #166
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Daphne , Alabama
Interesting Mac/PC satisfaction survey on CNN

We like our PCs -- but love our Macs - Sep. 20, 2011
flynaxos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:27 AM   #167
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Surprising to see the high proportion of Mac users here - it would be interesting to know how it works out as a percentage of responders - not interesting enough for me to sift through 165 posts though!

Did anyone happen to go through that exercise?

Brian
(Very happy Mac user for the last ten years or so since an avid "Mac Nut" friend finally browbeat me into trying one!)

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:52 AM   #168
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
after 20 years

and more blue screen errors and freezing windows and bugs and other assorted windows horrow stories

I finally went MAC...first an iPad for Paula and just two weeks ago i found the Mac Mini....a super computer that is only 5x7x2....hooked to a 23 " monitor....

just now learning all the differences....but lovin it
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:27 AM   #169
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Reno , Nevada
PowerBook, Mac Dual processor, iPad. IPhone, Apple TV! Everything works...the iPad is AMAZING for reading books (Kindle AND Nook apps are free) and magazines (Zinio)...
onemanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:53 AM   #170
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We posted here a while back, but since then have acquired an iPad2, a new iPhone 3gS and a brand new iMac, so we posted again to say MAC!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #171
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart View Post
I've built computes in the past but nothing you can put together with off-the-shelf parts can compare to the finished quality of a system in which the software and hardware were designed to work together specifically.

I really don't like the term "computer illiterate" because it propagates the idea that computers should be difficult for someone without special training to operate. Power users, people who build their own systems and like to hack the OS, are vastly out numbered by people who just want to browse the internet, email pictures of the dog and listen to some music. The Mac is FAR better at those tasks, and yet, can satisfy even power users.

I spend most of my day using a computer, am more than computer literate and have made the choice to use a mac because its easy to use, I spend almost no time maintaining the system, and because I can do anything that I want to on it.

All the research that I've seen tends to show that mac users are, in fact, more "computer literate" than their PC counterparts (for example: Are Mac users smarter? - CNET News)
To be fair, there is also a lot of articles that dispute how the data is actually related (although I apologize and can't find one quickly right now). The problem is that a large portion of the consumer base for Apple products is college students due to A) status symbol, B) popularity/hype/trends in that localized college body, and C) age appeal of Mac products

The college students on average are what they use to determine "intelligence" since most studies don't compare actual IQ to type of computer owned. So the data can be misleading.

As I stated before, I still have a new MB Air, but I probably would have never been convinced to go to the Apple store to even look if it wasn't through the peer pressure of my girlfriend and roommate, who are both Mac-addicts. But in the end, my purchase was simply based upon specs alone, because I was able to get a corporate discount on the computer, plus a rebate that allowed it to be the same price as the nearly equivalent Thinkpad I was looking at, with the difference being a sleeker look and feel- a small battle that Apple will nearly always win. Although, I'm still an avid Windows user. And I am positive the market will start swinging back a bit toward PCs with the release of Windows 8.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #172
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbear66
And it' made from the same materials as the Airstream How to polish your Mac to match your Airstream?
Braunbear66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #173
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
I've been using Parllels. It lets me have both operating systems up and running at the same time.
I've been using Fusion as that was what the Apple store was selling when I bought my MacBook Pro, which for the past three years has worked fine with both Windows XP Pro and now Windows 7. IMHO, either Parallels or Fusion is a great way to do if you need to run Windows. Though increasingly, I find that I have less and less need to run windows.

Cheers,
Rion
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #174
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
2011 25' FB International
Lafayette , Louisiana
Mac all the. Smooth-n-fast!
Aluminum pulling Aluminum 2018 F-150 4X4 Platinum, 3.5L V-6, 10 speed trans, 6.5 bed, Max Tow 3.55 Elec Locking axle, Roadmaster Active Suspension ~ 2015 Airstream Custom Ordered 27fb International Serenity - Lafayette Louisiana
WBCCI 11100
LaBigDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #175
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
MacBook Pro for the last year or so.....we are extremely happy.

The ease of use, long battery life are awesome.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #176
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandEmily View Post
We have snow leopard and like it just fine. We didn't see that lion added all that much...
If you have a track pad, Lion is worth it for the gesture based navigation alone.

Just swipe left or right with three fingers to scroll between open apps, and scroll up to launch mission control and see all the apps that you have open at once.
Toronto_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #177
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We're all Mac here, although we both have to use Windows machines for work.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #178
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There is another thread with a poll, and although the poll has been going for a long, long time, and is therefore, out of date, it was about 50/50 Mac/PC severa; weeks ago. Thus, Airstreamers much prefer Macs compared to the general population.

I first used an Apple in the late '70's—maybe 1979. Someone I knew worked in a computer store and wanted me to try it out. It was cool. But years later I bought an Apple II (there was a letter after that, but I can't remember it; IIc ?) at a yard sale and used it for a while to learn something about computers. Then there was the Mac Classic, the Quadra, the substandard Performa, 2000 Powerbook, mid '00's Powerbook, and a 17" MBP last spring. This one has a solid state hard drive, so though I've never had a hard drive crash, it is far less likely now. Barb has had 2 Macs and we recently updated her eMac.

Ever since Chief showed Barb his iPhone, she talks about it a lot, but has a dumb phone as that is all we need. But I figured if I got a iPad I could subscribe to the digital NY Times instead of having it mailed to me and save $4 a week, or $208/year. If I buy the cheapest refurbished iPad, I come out even in 2 years. I e-mailed the Times to ask if the entire paper is downloaded on the iPad application, but haven't heard from them. When you use Times Reader, you have to download each page of a story separately, but that doesn't make sense for something as portable as an IPad because I wouldn't always have wifi (or phone). Anybody know how the NYT works on an iPad?

A long time ago when I heard all the problems people had with Microsoft and PC's, I saw no reason to suffer and bought the Classic. Every Mac I have had has been extremely reliable and easy to use. No blue screen of death or other miseries. Most people became used to PC's through work and some don't want to change. The graphical interface and windows were copied by Microsoft, but all the innovations are Apple's. They do cost more, but they work. I can do a lot of things, but I don't need to learn all about computers when there is a machine that makes it simple. I have more time for our Airstream, maintain our other vehicles, remodel the house, fix all the other things that break, maintain our 37 acres, etc., etc. You have to choose what you spend your time on and I don't choose it to be fighting bad computers and operating systems. Microsoft comes closer, but never catches Apple.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #179

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Mac!
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #180
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
PC
Sony Vaio I7 quad core. Not bad. Sometimes the subfloor has to be repaired and the axles need some work, but good anyway
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote