Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
Wow, 5 swiped since June that we know of, in Texas alone. That is a huge number when you think about it.

Almost . . . unbelievable . . .
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:21 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
So sorry about your loss. I was just thinking, did anyone else notice that the Google maps have been recently updated? Are the crooks using this resource to find AS's?

Ellen
Rawfoodgirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
I am posting the flyer I put together with the details on my 72 Tradewind. It may help as a template for a flyer that you can put together on your unit. Bottom line is a stolen Airstream doesn't look any different than a legit unit. Once it is pulled away from your site and the thief puts another license plate on it the only way it can be detected is by someone with a sharp eye spotting it. This is probably a good case for the WBCCI numbers on the unit. I really wish the forum would start a new forum on STOLEN AIRSTREAMS. The best person to spot an Airstream is an Airstream owner. And if anybody that steals one goes out looking for parts or tries to sell it then the Airstream Community can check that forum and see what's been stolen.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf StolenAirstream.pdf (603.3 KB, 103 views)
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Correct me if I am wrong but since I have belonged to the forums I have read about several of these airstreams being stolen in states that border the Gulf or the Ocean. I honestly feel there maybe a theft ring that is sending them over seas. I feel they would be worth more if they were sold to over seas customers. They do it with cars, boats and other items. Why not airstreams.

Brian
Old 10-27-2010, 06:50 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Rich

I think that a new forum on stolen Airstreams sounds like a great idea.
Thanks for posting your flyer.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1966 17' Caravel
in , zazen
Stolen airstream info

The police officer working on my cases is very interested in speaking with anyone else who has had theirs stolen. He would like to join forces with the other detectives. At least he is taking this seriously and offering to help. If you have had your trailer stolen please email me or contact Jessie Guerra III at the San Marcos TX police dept. jguerra@sanmarcostx.gov my case number is 10-79743. I will be uploading a flyer soon with identifying features etc. PLEASE I NEED TO BRING HER HOME!
casitaplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
El Paso , Texas
I think the reason Airstreams are a hot target for theft is for the stainless steel. My 77 Ford 350 box truck was selected by the theives out of about 7 vehicles because of the big aluminum box on the back. They had already hit it earlier and took the copper-brass radiator out of it.

Before the economy tanked, aluminum was worth about 80 cents a pound, copper over $3 a pound, etc. I don't know what stainless was going for but since it's heavy it's attractive to them.

Metal theft is so bad they will even take steel. At one point, a large car from the 50s or 60s would bring almost $800 for scrap (In fact, I purchased a 1962 Mercury Monterry station wagon for $800 a couple of years ago, which was what it would have brought for scrap).

Trust me, it's alot easier to cut it up into a unrecognizable pile of junk and sell it quick than it is to shop a hot trailer. Here in El Paso the cops watch the scrapyards but it's hard to tell what something was when it's been cut up.
fiat128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #48
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
I think the reason Airstreams are a hot target for theft is for the stainless steel.
There is not any appreciable amount of stainless steel in a vintage Airstream. The skin is aluminum, the floor is wood and the frame is steel.

Quote:
You will never know if your outfit was heisted by Mexicans or low life El Paso trash of some other variety, but in either case, you can hope for a plague on their family.
Well, I sure hope we don't have any readers who live in Mexico who read this forum.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I doubt any of this has to do with scrap metal or hunting cabins. There is more $ to be made, after the effort and risk of the theft, in the illicit peddling of a vintage American travel trailer, quite likely out of country. Forget the local cops- this might be better investigated by looking at recent shipping manifests for container ships out of, for example, Galveston. I hope I am completely wrong and that all of you with stolen rigs get them back SOON! The rest of us might want to get comprehensive/theft insurance, it's not very expensive.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I've not been on the forum that long, but is there ANY record of a stolen trailer being recovered and returned to the grieving owners?
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #51
Rivet Master

I read about someone in Washington state who's Rig was stolen, insurance paid out, and the rig was recovered later. It had been made into a crackhouse, noticable by the chemical odors left over. I don't recall if they fixed it up or got rid of it but this is the only time I have heard of an Airstream being recovered.
I wouldn't be suprised if someone is setting these up as crackhouses or rentals on someones back 40.
In my area you can get $1000.00 a month for a stationary 28 footer.

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We do camp hosting up north and have had the cops remove a lot of trailers with "that smell". They have to bring in the hasmat crew before they're moved. I would not want one of those trailers returned if I had it stolen.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
it is interesting the number of trailers stolen in Texas recently (my 72 TW as one). It is also interesting that they all seem to be 70's models.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:33 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1966 17' Caravel
in , zazen
AIRSTREAM FOUND!!! My 74 overlander was found about 10 miles from my house. It was in plain sight and I called the cops and its now BACK AT MY PLACE!!!! I am thriilled. they removed the plate and the bumper stickers but my WB number was visible!!! YAYYYYYYYY!!! We are jumping for joy and love you all!!
Old 11-30-2010, 12:46 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Good for you. That makes my day. Who would have ever thought.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:02 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kennewick , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to shermybaby
Happy for you!!!

Out of curiosity...how did you find it?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:39 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cedar Lake , Indiana
theft prevention? locking chocks? tongue lock? have these been used?
thanks in advance, would not like coming back home and it is not home.....
present home OK
somedaysoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:35 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Tell us more about the evil doers. Glad you found it and got it home.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
That is the best news in the forum, I am SO happy for you....
Tell us how you found it, was it OK inside?
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1966 17' Caravel
in , zazen
I will tell the whole story later but I am trying to protect someone who helped me find it. I dont know if they were involved with the theft but it helped me get it back. An anonymous tip lead me to the "chop shop" and there she was! In plain view. The WB # was visible and was also how the tipster knew to alert me. I had put up flyers with the WB# in big black numbers. I called the police and they confirmed it was stolen and mine. The inside is just fine!!! They did remove the plate, my bumber stickers and it looks like they tried to buff off the WB # but are lazy so they threw a blue tarp over it. They also pulled down all the blinds and curtains etc so people couldnt look inside. Luickily I have very distinct bamboo blinds and this also made me sure it was mine(although my WB# was enough) They busted my hitch so we had to chain it and drag her home. I am now going to get a very secure thingy me do dad that will prevent theft in the future. I have 3 small wild boys so a smith and wesson is not an option yet. I am so thrilled to have her back and my daughter who dowsed for the airstream was exactly right about where it was!!! EXACTLY! I would like to see a list on the forumns of all the stolen trailers with serial numbers,WB#s and a few identifying traits. Something we can all print out in a flyer and take while traveling to spot stolen AS. Without my WB# and someone seeing my flyer I may have not found her. She was less than 10 miles from me, hiding in plain sight! AND SHES STILL HERE NOW!!!