Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
What a great outcome. I hope you also played the lottery the same day....Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:37 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Congratulations on your recovery! It's encouraging to hear that you got her back and it's good to feel your joy. Mines been gone for 3 months now and hope and pray she'll turn back up. Good to know someone tipped you off with the clue. Once a trailer goes out your lot it could be a mile or a thousand, she's still gone. Post pics love to see you smiling with your baby.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:57 AM   #63
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
El Paso , Texas
I'm glad you found it. I'm the guy who had his truck stolen If you could, please email me at fiat128guy@gmail.com and tell me where it was found.

I had some very distinctive items in my truck and it may be the same people who took it.

I also read where a quad bike was recently recovered in the same area where some idiots tried to sell it on craigslist.
fiat128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:16 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Reunited and it feels so good!

OH man! That's great!!! I know how happy and relieved you must be. I'm glad it worked out in your favor, now if they/we could find Richhogs. MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1966 17' Caravel
in , zazen
the lot where mine was had a bunch of cars etc and the police ran all the plates etc. None where hot except my airstream. II will keep my eyes peeled for other trailers etc. please email me directly any flyers, ID features etc Slept in the trailer last night in 20 degree weather to rechristian her. Smudged her with herbs etc! And got two locks for the hitch and tires!!
casitaplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
Happy to hear of your recovery!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #67
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Great news -- I can't imagine what you must have gone through when you discovered she was gone. I hope those crooks are caught get what they deserve!!!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Fantastic! So are you going to press charges, and have the coupler repair reimbursed? I would do whatever possible to "send a message" to the larcenous world.
Congrats!!!!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Commerce , Texas
Congratulations! I hope we will hear news of capture, charges & punishment for the theives!

"You can buy a cheaper burger, but then you gotta eat it." Texas Burger
jal4509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Great to hear one was found! Gives us some hope.

Turns out a neighbor saw ours get taken, but they did not know it wasn't us. Suspect was described as caucasian, balding, with a beard. Driving a black or blue four door diesel late model pickup (2000-2005) that was "hopped up" aka loud, probably with performance parts.

I am including a copy of our flyer, I am a bit hesitant to include the phone number but am including it anyway...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-12-02 at 2.18.53 PM.png
Views:	138
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	116380  
blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #71
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by blimp
Great to hear one was found! Gives us some hope.

Turns out a neighbor saw ours get taken, but they did not know it wasn't us. Suspect was described as caucasian, balding, with a beard. Driving a black or blue four door diesel late model pickup (2000-2005) that was "hopped up" aka loud, probably with performance parts.

I am including a copy of our flyer, I am a bit hesitant to include the phone number but am including it anyway...
I am sending my prayers to you that you will find her! I just don't get it why people would do this to someone and HOW? Do they cut off the padlock on the hitch? I just don't get it. Someone needs to invent an antitheft device for our precious trailers. This is so sad!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1966 17' Caravel
in , zazen
I know how you must feel. It iis a terrible thing to lose your airstream! I am not a very materialistic person but this killed me. I put mine on facebook and told everybody who would listen, Thats how I got her back. Someone remembered my WB# started with 27 and told me about an AS they saw. Sure enough that was mine! I wiill look for 9890 Also sounds like it isnt heading to Mexico with that theif! Mine was also white. Had a tow truck. My joy is def tempered by so many others loses! Also the DA probably will not press charges! The guy who had my AS wasnt the one who actually stole it. There is not enough to find the actuial theif. But I will keep looking for him and any info I get ill turn over to the cops etc. Maybe he has taken other ones? My feeling is he just took advantage of an oppurtunity,as he didnt get rid of it. Or know what tioi do with it after he stole it.
casitaplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #73
Airstream Guy
Commercial Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
1967 22' Safari
1964 22' Safari
Marion , Kansas
Congratulations on finding your Overlander. Thieves would normally be put off getting wheels for it. Full coverage insurance is only $100 a year here in kansas but still you had your stuff inside.
me208070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I don't get it. They aren't pressing charges. This guy just happened to have your stolen trailer? He can't remember who he got it from?
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Catching the thieves

Sounds like these thieves in Texas are pretty gutty, "coming back to clean up the scape the next night," Wow!

I think if it were me I would set them up by putting something on my lot they would want with a GPS unit hidden in it, then sit and wait. You'd think the local sheriff or police would help you out with catching these guys, apparently they just don't care or they know more than they're willing to divulge.
HankO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
Here's my theory - thieves will steal everything except for horses. Two men kicked in a locked gate and back door in the middle of the day and stole everything out of my house. Even used my bags to move it! Thieves are brazen and if they act like they belong, most people won't notice. Conceal as much as possible, lock everything as best you can and get good insurance. That's the best I can do to protect myself. The axle is off on my trailer right now but when it goes back up, I will purchase the best anti-theft locks I can find. And maintain good insurance!
star kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
I don't get it. They aren't pressing charges. This guy just happened to have your stolen trailer? He can't remember who he got it from?
I'll bet his memory would improve if he was charged with possession of stolen property.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
You really have to be familiar with the area and "culture" of the area around El Paso and the Tanks area. It is so far alien to what most of us consider....what?....civilized?...modern?....the U.S.?....
A location 10 miles away is a next door neighbor......not a real communal one either. Law as you know it is not the same. Be careful out there and remember those great neighborly and friendly attitudes found around Austin do not apply out there....all the way to Starr County either.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
You really have to be familiar with the area and "culture" of the area around El Paso and the Tanks area. It is so far alien to what most of us consider....what?....civilized?...modern?....the U.S.?....
A location 10 miles away is a next door neighbor......not a real communal one either. Law as you know it is not the same. Be careful out there and remember those great neighborly and friendly attitudes found around Austin do not apply out there....all the way to Starr County either.
It certainly is an alien landscape! That is part of the appeal of the place.

We went around asking neighbors this past weekend if they had seen anybody, and I really wish we had met them beforehand. We were always put off by the remoteness and how all the 'houses' out there had fences and dogs and all looked intimidating, but everyone we met was actually exceedingly nice and very sympathetic to our loss. They all had the feeling that "we are in this together out here and we need to watch each other's backs." It was very inspiring, and i very much regret that we did not establish relationships with them earlier. We could have let them know we were going to be out of town and to watch our property for anything suspicious. They guy that saw our trailer get taken didn't even know it was getting stolen until we told him this past saturday!

Thanks for everyone support and condolences, it really helps to have a place to rant and share thoughts.
blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:25 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
They steal horses here in Houston and yes Airstreams as well. Mine disappeared over the 3 day Labor day weekend, Sunday night so they had a full day and night before I even came to work and noticed it missing and the gate open with the cut chain hanging down.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote