Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2016, 08:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk

Stromgberg Carlson Bike Bunk
Comments, pro, cons?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I am looking at this and wonder if it would not have quite a bit of movement when traveling as it only has one center support mount for the bikes. The one we use is this one. Got it quite a while ago, works fine, bikes sit in trays and are supported at two points on top.

http://www.arvika.ca/index.php/us/
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
You'll have to measure the height of your propane tank cover to make sure the cross bar with receiver clears. Stromberg Carlson has a downloadable manual. The manual says 29" to bottom of receiver hitch. I don't know the height of our 30lb cover. If it clears you could use one of those hitch clamps on the receiver to take out any play. The weight carrying ability is 100lbs so enough for tow bikes and the rack.

Like Bud, I have the Arvika rack for two bikes. The mounting rods are adjustable for height.
The only disadvantage is the cost but with the Canadian dollar value today it might be a good alternative or go with the Fiamma rear rack.

Kelvin
Old 05-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thank you both. Over $500 US for both required parts (base and rack) for the Arvika. No thanks. I paid less than $200 for my bike.

Hopefully someone that uses the Stromberg Carlson will comment.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 05-08-2016, 05:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I was at my Airstream in storage today and measured my propane tank cover and it's taller than 29". Without modification I don't think this bike rack will work.

With the Canadian exchange rates that puts the Arvika in the same price range as the Fiamma rear bumper rack.

Kelvin
Old 05-08-2016, 05:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I was at my Airstream in storage today and measured my propane tank cover and it's taller than 29". Without modification I don't think this bike rack will work.

With the Canadian exchange rates that puts the Arvika in the same price range as the Fiamma rear bumper rack.

Kelvin
There are several pictures on the internet showing it installed on a couple of different Airstreams. Clears the tanks with room to spare. It installs behind and above the rank. Thank you but no reason to keep pushing the Arvika, not going to happen. I am not foolish enough to pay almost three times what I paid for my bike for a rack package. If I don't find a rack I am happy with I can easily keep carrying it in the trailer.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm also looking for a bike carrying solution, and I also am not interested in paying $500+ for it.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
If you found photos of the Bike Bunk installed on Airstreams then buy it and give us a full report. Might be a great solution vs Fiamma and Arvika.
The rack is $200 then you have to buy the bike rack that fits in the receiver which could be $100 to $300 depending on what you choose.

The only issue I'm having with my Arvika which may be the same for the Stromberg is with my truck's camper shell. When backing at a tight angle its possible for the bikes to contact the truck's shell corners.

Kelvin
Old 05-08-2016, 06:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I already have two quality hitch mounted bike racks so no extra cost there. One uses a bar to hang the bike on and the other cages that the wheels sit in. Either might work but I think the cages would be easier to get the bike in and out of. The one with the bar might need a ladder. I found the Bike Bunk for $186 delivered. Can get the Arivka for about $200 US but it requires their $300 plus proprietary bike rack as far as I can tell, their web sight is a bit confusing and not user friendly in my opinion.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
I opted not to transport our 2 bikes outside, where they would be exposed to the elements and could be a target for theft. Instead I built a "rack" for less than $30 that holds them securely inside. They haven't moved while towing, and they are enough out of the way to allow access to the galley, bathroom and bedroom areas for quick stops or overnights. I don't think there's a single solution that works best for everyone's situation.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Kelvin, I owe you a public apology for doubting you. The Bike Bunk arrived today. It fits perfect, in fact too perfect. The receiver box sits within 1/4 inch of the propane box top and over it about 3 inches. There is not enough room on the A-frame with WD brackets installed to adjust the bunk brackets to another position. No way to open the box to check or turn the bottle on or off without removing the bunk cross bar. Thankfully I bought it thru Amazon and can return it free. I still like the idea of carrying the bike on the A-frame so will give Arvika a call tomorrow. Their web site is confusing. Seems they do make a rack base designed specifically for the Airstream. If I can use one of my current bike racks I will gives their base a try.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:42 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
SeaLevel,
Do you have pictures? Yours is the solution I favor.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post
SeaLevel,
Do you have pictures? Yours is the solution I favor.
I cut a piece of plywood about 1' x 2' and put on a couple coats of polyurethane, and then glued some small rubber feet to the bottom. Then I mounted two quick release bike fork mounts, offset to keep the handlebars and bikes separated. When placed on the rug, the rubber feet get a good grip and they don't move. On the first trip I used a rug over the couch to make sure they didn't rub up against it, but since they didn't move I'm not sure I need to keep doing that. I might move them a little bit more towards the back to allow access to both sides of the dinette, as long as I can still open the refrigerator. We can both sit on the same side though, so that's not too big of a deal. I remove the front wheels and then roll the bikes up the steps backwards. Takes about two minutes to load both bikes, and the same in reverse to get them back out. I just carry the front wheels in the bed of the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Rack 1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	262349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Rack 2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	262350  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Rack 3.jpg