Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2006, 06:06 AM   #1
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Bike Friday / Swift Folder / Airnimal folding bike?

There have been several threads here about bikes... but I'm looking for a XL size Bike Friday NWT or similar Friday model, Swift folder, or Airnimal. I've got a Giant Halfway that I really like, but I want a solid 406mm wheel folder frameset with a full rear triangle and chainstays (I have a Burly cargo trailer) that I can re-build as inexpensively as I can with LX and XT components off a full-size mountain bike I already have.

Unfortunately, an Airnimal Joey frameset alone is $800, and I just got a quote from Bike Friday for a NWT with about half the components I think I want for $1600... <choke, caugh, choke> and I don't want to spend that much!

Anybody got a line on a Bike Friday Metro, Pocket Tourist, NWT, or Swift folder that's sitting around collecting dust somewhere that someone would be willing to unload for a couple hundred bucks? Any other words of wisdom?

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:53 AM   #2
Riviting Espresso

1978 25' Caravanner
Boca Raton , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ColdEspresso Send a message via Yahoo to ColdEspresso
Hey Roger,

The Bike Friday is expensive but you won't find a better folding bike that hold's it's value. I have owned one for years and it has been great. Good luck finding one for a couple of hundred dollars. I keep an eye out for them on ebay and rarely see them go for under $750. Keep trying....

All the best...
1978 Caravanner
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71
2009 VW Sportwagen TDi
Rancilio Espresso Machine w/ Rocky Grinder
ColdEspresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:55 AM   #3
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
I know, I know... I'm just being cheap... Thanks for the kind thoughts!

Roger
Old 07-26-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
You might want to test ride the BikeFriday. Most (not all) of the tall people (i.e. over 6') find that the strech with the stem and seatpost is just too much to keep the bike riding "normal".

I did quite a bit of looking for a bike to take to Europe with me in August. I ended up with a Richey Breakaway. I knew I just wouldn't be happy with a compromise bike and might as well rent rather than go that route. The Breakaway rides just like a very nice high end road bike. I put on a compact crank and am going to keep it as my daily rider/touring bike and sell my old triple. They also build a cyclocross frame if you wanted something with clearance for wider tires. They're not cheap but comparable in price to a Bike Friday. Maybe a little harder to set-up (not much) and there's no comparison in the ride. If we take the trailer on an extended trip that's not centered around a bike race I'll bring the Ritchey with me.

One bike I was impressed with and would have probably gone for if there was more mtn bike opportunity in Ireland was the Montigue:
www.montagueco.com/
The CX and DX are billed as "
The all-around bike for the all-around rider" and are relatively cheap for the level of performance they provide. The Paratrooper and Hummer are honest to goodness mtn bikes; and the design reminds me of my "classic" Klein Mantra

Breezer is a relatively new player:
www.breezerbikes.com/
I know someone that recently went to work for them who's been in the bike industry a long time and is impressed with what they provide for the money.

Dahon's been around a long time. My mother-inlaw has one gathering dust in a bag. I rode it once. Rather a neat feat of engineering but heavy and not good for much but short shopping trips or very easy sight seeing (like I'd rather just jog). They've updated their line quite a bit lately. For one they've licensed the Richey design but those are still pretty spendy. The other alternatives aren't likely to be much different than your Giant Halfway.

The Molton (Sir Clive) is similar to Bike Friday in geometry, cost, quality and resale. Just a little different engineering approach.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Roger,
I'm not an expert on folding bikes .......but I've seen a couple of "Birdy Bikes" locally on bike rides, and the owners rave about them. Rich Luhr bought these at the Intl in Salem where they officially premiered their Airstream product line. He's pleased with the product. Seems the manufacturer has teamed up with Airstream to offer an Airstream design line. The website has more info at http://www.birdybike.com/index.html .

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden
The Molton (Sir Clive) is similar to Bike Friday in geometry, cost, quality and resale. Just a little different engineering approach.

-Bernie
hi bernie, bike nuts and others looking at small wheels with big ideas!

just a little clarification from an enthusiatic owner of several of these...
its moulton; and alex. he isn't a 'sir' but should be....
he is a dr which is ok too...

i recently sold a 10 year old moulton for 3,500$ and the buyer was thrilled at that price...
my newest one is now approaching 10,000$ in value which is close to the price of new...with the exchange rate.

the engineering approaches are vastly different...they do share small wheels.

and actually the bike friday is very close to alex's 50 year old early model design, without suspension....the patent on this design has long expired.

bike friday makes a great folder. they have very loyal customers and are wonderful folks...out in oregon.

as for full suspension folders.....birdy and brompton are the 2 big players here....

richL got the birdys. they are really nice bikes, good suspension and fold quickly. but they don't work well for taller folks or longer rides (40miles) and they are more money than you want to spend...i think.

now for you roger, consider 2 less expensive options.....

-the new dahons are really well made and they have several models under 1000 bucks....i'd opt for the internal hub geared/rear changer combo (sram) like the tourist model or one of the others....these are really nice. i have a friend with one who has 5000miles+ on his without any issues. he is 6'2"....

-the other route and even better for an iowan near wisconsin....
trek has 2 models of folders with 406 wheels...the frames are actually made by dahon. the bikes differ based on equipment but retail for 6-800$...occasionally there is one on ebay but new isn't too badly priced and they come with widely available shimano componets...and trek stores are everywhere now....biggest issue is trek dealers don't normally stock these 2 models, so ya have to get 'em to order one...just to take a test ride...

i've riden the 2 treks. i'm 240lbs. it is a sold bike. rides just like a bike friday, which is a nice ride......i would not hesitate to buy the trek...or a touring dahon with the dual drive...

ah, but nothing rides like a moulton!

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moulton 2.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	23924   Click image for larger version

Name:	moulton 1.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	23925  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I just knew that with the number of engineers and aviation buffs there HAD to be at least one Moulton enthusiast out there! I would'a guessed Nick .

They truely are an engineering master piece tinkered with over decades in the true British tradition.

I'd agree with 2air's recommendations but would also throw the Montegue into the mix of contenders. Only thing is I don't think you're going to make much of an improvement over you're Giant Halfway unless you invest a fair chunck of change. Of course there's always the chance of a great deal showing up used. Besides eBay there's the trick of searching multiple Craigslist sites with google (i.e. "folding bike site:craigslist").

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
_

. , .
hey bernie

ever riden a moulton?
you may know this, but usa dealers are few and far between.
you happen to be very close to the oldest usa dealer...
angle lake cyclery....dale there has been riding them for nearly 30 years, sponsored a raam rider on a moulton in the 80s....
and even helped design the first ever dual suspension mountain bike...
the moulton atb....

dale is a character....but you should pay his shop a visit and ride one....i did when i lived out there years ago...that's how i got the bug...

oh and that 10 year old one i sold...
went to a guy in woodinville washington!

cheers
2air'

i just add that the trek folder is much much more sturdy than the giant/halfway..it has slightly bigger wheels and takes a regular front hub..not the 'righty' that's on the giant....it also has better stopping brakes than the giant....

trek is now using the capero rear hub/cassette/changer which solves the problem of getting bigger/faster road-like, gearing on a small wheel bike...
moulton had to make is own rear cassettes years ago to get the proper gearing..this makes the parts very very very expensive to replace with originals...typical brits!!

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:13 PM   #9
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
I'd LOVE a Moulton... unfortunately I am not willing to part with that kind of cash...

I have investigated nearly all of the brands thoroughly. I had a line on some Trek F600 closeouts for $799, and would probably have done that... but I JUST found a Bike Friday diamond-frame New World Tourist in my size with new factory paint, including a travel case and some other extras and some nice mods for $700 shipped, so I couldn't resist. I may upgrade some of the components as time passes... but at least I've got a rideable frame and decent wheelsets! If you deduct the price of the Samsonite case new, the bike was about $450. I think that's pretty reasonable! I'm also a big fan of buying cottage industry products when they're reasonable and of high quality. Burley and Bike Friday both certainly fit that description!

I need a full rear triangle as I have a Burley cargo trailer that I pull, and the fully suspended bikes are a problem (depending on design) for the trailer. The 20" wheels are not the issue I'd thought they'd be and frankly, I really enjoy my Giant Halfway with 406s on it. I may just sell my full-size bikes! We'll see...

This diamond-frame NWT ought to be just the ticket!

Roger
Old 07-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #10
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Dahon Speed7 & Vitesse D5 comments.

We bought a Dahon Speed 7 in May, and it worked out well enough that last month we ordered a Vitesse D5. We've had that for two weeks as of tomorrow, and I've ridden around 165 miles on it so far. I need 1500 "revenue" miles on it - where the bike replaces a car - by next June in order for it to pay for itself (I won't buy a bike for my use that can't recoup its cost in savings. I figure $0.30/mile as the break even point). I'm thinking we'll hit break-even around mid-January.

The Speed 7 (same as Breezer zig7, I think) came with fenders & a rack, and a 7 speed cassette. I can fold it in around 20-30 seconds - faster if motivated, so it's competitive with locking it up. I rode a little over 200 miles on it in June and the first two weeks of July. I wouldn't pick it as a bike to go hammer with, but it's efficient enough. (no the Speed 7 won't break even by May, but it didn't come out of the gasoline budget).

We had the Speed 7 when we visited Jackson Center, and I rode their Birdy while there too. I didn't see the Birdy as being worth 3 Dahons, but it was a nice ride. Would be hard to put fenders and a rack on the Birdy, and that's a deal breaker.

The Vitesse D5 has Sturmey's 5 speed hub. I like this A LOT. It's essentially two concentric AW3's and the middle gear is direct. It also came with rack, fenders, plus a chain cover and a seat tube pump. I've had it up to 25 on level ground, and generally hit 18-22 on my way to work, so it's fast enough for me, although with dockers & work shoes, I'm generally happier in the 13-15 mph range. With a little training and planning, I'm pretty sure I could TT it for 10 - 15 miles in the 18-19mph range. It's been my primary commuter since I bought it (I use the recumbent some days), and fits nicely under my desk.

The D5 is an aluminum frame vs the steel on the Speed7. The ride is just slightly different between the two. The D5 doesn't seem as fast, but that may be just a feeling. I picked it up on Thursday, 13 July, rode it home, rode it to work on Friday, then installed a bottle cage and a rack trunk and rode it on a metric century on Saturday. It was mid-90's so I took it really easy and drank lots, but still had a ride time of 5:44, including about an hour of walking around the fairgrounds (Hey, I was sightseeing). While riding I saw 13 & 15 pretty consistently.

I have played with Burley's hitch (not the alternate hitch) and it seems to fit OK on both Dahons. Haven't pulled anything with it though. I have the 'puter hooked up there on the D5, and have the trailer set up to use the alternate hitch (for the recumbent's sake).

So... If you typically cruise at over 200 watts, or do back to back centuries, or are used to 35mph sprints, I'm not sure I'd go with the lower priced Dahon. I have just a little time on the Speed Pro (SRAM 3x9 gears), and it would be somewhat better at that, IMO. If you plan on taking 50 lb worth of stuff on your rack and heading to someplace 3 states away... again maybe not.

But if you plan to ride 20-30 miles fairly often, do the occasional 60-100 mile ride, or the occasional overnight camping trip, I don't see how a Dahon would be a limiting factor. Not as "wow" but certainly capable.

I don't have any direct comments on the Bike Friday, other than they are reputed to be a nice bike than can be folded in around 20 minutes vs say a Brompton which is described as a quick folding bike which is OK to ride.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:56 PM   #11
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
But if you plan to ride 20-30 miles fairly often, do the occasional 60-100 mile ride, or the occasional overnight camping trip, I don't see how a Dahon would be a limiting factor. Not as "wow" but certainly capable.

I don't have any direct comments on the Bike Friday, other than they are reputed to be a nice bike than can be folded in around 20 minutes vs say a Brompton which is described as a quick folding bike which is OK to ride.
Yeah... and I confess... I wanted a little "wow" with the bike... I could have bought a Downtube, or Dahon for considerably less... but my plan is to upgrade this one to LX and XT components over the winter... I'm really hooked on Shimano Rapid-Fire... and nothing else is quite as satisfying...

The Giant Halfway is actually a pretty decent bike given it's low end components and marginal tires. The frame is remarkably stiff, but the hefty seat tube and the single sided fork make the ride amazingly plush. The stock seat is junk, probably THE most painful saddle I've ever had the displeasure of throwing a leg over (major "parts" numness here)... so if you get one, just plan on buying a new saddle with it. My main complaint is the same as just about everyone else's... and that is that the gearing is just to low for any serious riding. Fortunately, I didn't buy it for serious riding, just to run back and forth to work with and then to tool around campgrounds and various and sundry other places where I don't care to walk after I've parked the car. It's come in handy repeatedly for Sunday afternoon sight-seeing excursions.

RedShed: The Bike Friday folds to carrying/trunk/back seat size in about the same time that the Bromptons do. They're just a little larger folded. What takes a little longer is packing them into the suitcase...

I won't get the bike until mid-August. He's shipping it tomorrow, and it'll be here Monday or Tues, but we're headed out for a couple of weeks on Friday... so I'll have to report back after I've got a few miles on it and tell you what I think.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BikeFriday2.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	23931  
Old 07-26-2006, 05:01 PM   #12
_

. , .
roger and redshed......

so just today ya found the friday roger? good job...
it's a fine bike and the price looks right...
only caution is when was it made?
friday did not recommend or warrant their bikes
for riders over 210lbs or so,
until recently when they started beefing up the seat tube region...

of course i have not a clue to your stature....

friday should be able to tell ya based on serial number...

i've used the burley cargo trailer,
with the quick release skewer hitch up thinkie....
it works fine even on dual suspension bikes like the moulton or birdy...

redshed....speed pro was the model that i reference with dual drive....there is also a touring version with limited distribution (europe) based on the speedpro...included fenders, rear rack, suspension hub up front and suspension seat post....still a pretty lite bike...very nice.

i agree price wise the dahons are a real value and quality is greatly improved.

cheers
2air'

Old 07-26-2006, 05:04 PM   #13
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
2air... It's a mid-90s version. I think they discontinued the diamond frame in '95 or so... I'm 6'5" tall but only 180 lbs, so the weight shouldn't be an issue... thanks for thinking of it tho!

The Dahon Speed series are a nice looking bunch of folders too...

Roger
Old 07-26-2006, 05:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
The Santos Bike Shop in Belleview Florida, close to where we relocated from, have the best billboard.
"Friends don't let friends ride JUNK!"
Buy a good bike, with components that will last. Don't invest your hard earned money into something that will be JUNK in a few years.
You won't find much in this catagory going cheap! If you're handy you can put one together and save a few bucks in the process but you'll likely spend more on components in the thought process of building it yourself.
As stated keep and eye on eBay but also your local paper. Good luck and as we say here... happy hunting!
FYI this is my internet find... $250 frame...$1250 drive train....$250 seat....and so it went....wheels, tires, fork... but hey it's aluminum!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo_091005_001.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	23933  
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:58 PM   #15
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Yeah... and I confess... I wanted a little "wow" with the bike... I could have bought a Downtube, or Dahon for considerably less... but my plan is to upgrade this one to LX and XT components over the winter... I'm really hooked on Shimano Rapid-Fire... and nothing else is quite as satisfying...
There are few things more "wow" than getting lots out of a supposedly inferior bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
... probably THE most painful saddle I've ever had the displeasure of throwing a leg over (major "parts" numness here)... so if you get one, just plan on buying a new saddle with it. My main complaint is the same as just about everyone else's... and that is that the gearing is just to low for any serious riding.
?? Must be a YMMV moment, as I've found 70 gear inches is good for cruising at 18-19, and I can touch 33 with a 90" gear (53x11 with 20" wheels), although typically if I'm still pedalling over 25 it's only because I'm trying to drop someone. I've ordered a Brooks B67 for the Vitesse. Should be here tomorrow.

Can hubs have wrecked me in a way. Derailleurs have their place, but the only multi-speed drivetrains that I've found to be spot-on reliable have been Sturmey or Nexus. Although I once had a Campy/Zeus setup that didn't totally ralph. I'd like to try something like this: http://www.tincanten.com/ sometime

-----------------------------------------------------
I said 'go drink some coke, because we're leaving on the first climb, if you want to come along,'" Floyd Landis
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Good stuff!

I always enjoy reading about bikes! I've also visited the whole folder idea, but like Rodger, found them a bit expensive. I've toyed around with the idea of a BMX frame with a bigger gear, taller stem and seatpost... anyone done this route? I'm only 5 5" (but tall enough to reach the ground!! )!

Heck, I can fit on my 11 year old's 20" bike... but I do look a bit like a circus clown on it though.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:36 PM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Well being a bikeaholic is only secondary to my aluminitis...and the only cure is more I currently have about 4-5 rideable bikes, and two more under construction, just like my Airstreams The most trouble free bike I have ever owned is my 70's vintage Raleigh 3sp. It has taken years of use and abuse and is still working. I am starting the search for an affordable folder, I just bought a Redline 9.2.5 single speed with the flip flop wheel, but the itch needs scratching.
RedSHED thanks for the reports on the Dahon's they are on my list to look at. I have actually located a shop in Greenville, SC that has supposedly has several different models in stock. I hope to check them out next week. Also thanks for the link to the "tincanten"...those are some awesome speeds and a wonderful collection of bikes.

One of my current bicycle projects is a "city" bike that I am building up out of an old Motobecane frame, it will have a S-A 3sp rear hub, S-A Dynohub, laced to 700c wheels, fenders etc. Best part is most of the parts were scavenged or bought on deep discount from close out sales.

Maybe we need a bike subgroup?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
I just receive Dahon Espresso purchased from internet shop for $322 delivered to front door.. It is aluminum framed folding 26" city bike, weighs about 28 pounds, and folds to 30" by 30" by 9" in less than 10 seconds...

Bike made in Taiwan, has good 21spd gears and center-pull brakes and spring suspension seat post. Three frame sizes, including 20" version for taller people. I wasn't really happy with packaging for shipment across country via UPS ground, and derailler bent upon arrival, but so far so good, and at that price it doesn't have to last 15 years to be good investment. No more rack on rear of trailer, or locks and hope that it stays when left outside. It folds neatly into black bag and into back of tow vehicle when not needed. Local dealer store prices much higher, plus taxes at over 8% in Calif.. Sigh...

http://www.dahon.com/us/espresso.htm

Similar bike is Mariner, sold in stores catering to boaters...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:43 PM   #19
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
?? Must be a YMMV moment... Can hubs have wrecked me in a way. Derailleurs have their place, but the only multi-speed drivetrains that I've found to be spot-on reliable have been Sturmey or Nexus.
If you've ever ridden a Giant Halfway, you'd understand. In top gear (and I don't recall what the gear stuff is on it now...) you can't pedal on a mild downhill. The cassette doesn't keep up with the hub... so you coast 'cause that's all you can do. Not that that's necessarily bad, it's just kind of ... well... lame I guess. I'm used to being able to add speed downhill if I wanted to.

I also understand that the new can hubs are quite the deal... but when I was a youngster, derailleurs had it all over them for reliability and serviceability. I still can't look at a can hub and wonder what's really going on inside. So... I'll stay with a derailleur. I may have to adjust and clean it a little more often, but at least I can see what it does!

And as for the 'inferior' bike stuff... I don't see them that way at all. They are less expensive, and have less expensive componentry. It all works just fine, maybe just not as long and perhaps not as smoothly. I've grown fond of mechanisms that are built well to last a long time and be repairable rather than disposable. I appreciate a silky-smooth shift time after time after time, and a silent running wheel. I suppose that's one of the reasons we're all drawn to Airstreams. Of course, there are costs associated with buying higher-end stuff, but if you amortize it over the life of the gizmo, the cost per year usually isn't much different over buying several less expensive gizmos and pitching or recycling them.

Roger
Old 07-26-2006, 09:18 PM   #20
_

. , .
hello again bike nuts....

since i don't have adequate storage space for multiple airstreams....
i've focused on bicycles and fountain pens....i have lots of both....

with regard to the moultons i neglected to post the most basic point...
they aren't folders!
many split into 2 pieces; some don't...
but none of the real moultons fold...
what they are, are full suspension road bikes with small wheels...
dr moulton designed the the suspension for the original minicooper...
now those are small wheels!
and he wanted a bike that would fit in the boot of a mini...
so the moulton bike was made to split....and fit.

now i also noticed that bernie mentioned the richey breakaway...
this is a great bike for travel, splits into pieces and packs in a large suit case. with big wheels and a normal drivetrain...it rides just like any 700c bike.

for folks that like big wheels most quality steel or ti frames can be made into 'travel bikes' with s&s couplers....they are amazing...read about them here:
http://www.sandsmachine.com/

redshed mentions can hubs...."Can hubs have wrecked me in a way. Derailleurs have their place, but the only multi-speed drivetrains that I've found to be spot-on reliable have been Sturmey or Nexus."......

and i agree but the can of can hubs is the rohloff hub....
this is a piece of work. as fine a hub as ever made.
not inexpensive but having riden on them, wow.
i will have one some day.
http://www.rohloffusa.com/frame.htm

marc (3Ms75Argosy) asks about a bmx like small wheeler
made for regular riding...
http://www.burrobikes.com/
check out the burro bike. not too expensive.
like a grown up bmx and a flexible enough platform
for off road, trail, touring, road and so on...

like wahoonc,
i love retro bikes. single speeds, vintage brit bikes (holdsworth or raleigh) and now pashley bikes...pashley makes work bikes, folder, cart bikes, classics and a lot more....
http://www.pashley.co.uk/
they are the largest bike maker still building bikes in the u.k. and they make a moulton called the apb...now replaced with the "tsr" model...
http://www.tsr.uk.com/
this is a sweet bike, rides like a moulton because it is! can be had for 2k or so and worth every penny.

small wheel bikes are a blast; violate most of the conventional wisdom and look different. i love 'em.

anyone wanting basic info on folding bikes should visit the folding bike society...
http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/

or the web site for this u.k. dealer...they have lots of info and PARTS for most folding bikes in use today....
http://www.foldingbikes.co.uk/index1.html

wahoonc....not sure why ya want a folder but if looking for a vintage, small wheel folder, look for the raleigh '20s' from the late 60s-70s. raleigh briefly owned the moulton design (alex regained it in the 80s) and made real folders with using moulton features... these bikes were imported into the usa more than any other moulton so they are available...can be found for 100-300$ and are a great way to get into this segment....for a guy who wants to grow his own diesel!

cheers
2air'