Old 07-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Pick the floor plan that best suits you without regard to which end has the bed and which has the couch. When you get to the campground select a site that will give you the best arrangement. Many 5'ers have the living room at the rear, while most motor homes have the living room at the front.

As Doug said, if you are in a short site with a FB you may have to have to door past the paved area.

David Lininger, kb0zke
AIR 54240
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:38 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1987 29' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Rear bedroom vs front bedroom

Exactly. a very personal preference. We've owned Airstreams for > 30 years. Our first '70's era '31ft Airstream had the rear bath so the largest bed was actually in the middle. Late 80's we upgraded to a twin rear bed. We used and enjoyed both of those very much. Last year we purchased another brand new, smaller, 25' FC with the front bedroom. We've had it less than a year and use it extensively. We do lots of beach camping as well as camping on lakes & other waterfront sites (for kayaking & gorgeous sunsets). We've been quite pleasantly surprised that we are enjoying the FB even more than we expected! Lying in our front bed we can see out the new panoramic windows all the way thru to the back view of the AS. And with dinette in rear the benefit we are enjoying with the new FB is that when on the beach we back into sites so we enjoy gorgeous sunsets, ocean & gulf views right from our dinette or set up our chairs right behind or beside our AS AND with curtains open we can see from beach thru to street side and our TV with barely a turn of the head. We too prefer to use the bedroom for two reasons that don't necessarily require a view from that room so FB offers nice add'l privacy.

That said, and credit to hubby's experience and skill level after many years, I can tell you we haven't experienced any of the "situations" mentioned such as the rear door not lining up with the concrete pad, nor do we find it necessary to pull way forward. Our TV still parks in front of our AS as it did with the middle & RB floor plans. Haven't found it difficult to hook up utilities with any of the three floor plans we've owned. Regarding noise with a front bed, if you are camped in a noisy site you will hear noise in either floor plan. At most the distance of where your bed is from the noisy street is only the length of your Airstream, less than 30 feet.

You will adapt to whichever AS you chose so no worries about the small stuff. Airstreams are made to enjoy and have fun, just gotta get out there and do it.

369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #17
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Originally Posted by DavidSowder View Post
I'm 6'4" the split bath/shower doesn't work for me. Can't move around in the shower. The older trailers with the bathing toilet on one side work for me. If I were normal size probably would go for the front bedroom, which many of our unit members with newer trailers have opted for.

I have problems with your post. We short people resent tall people complaining about their height. At least you can reach stuff on the top shelf without a ladder or asking some tall person to get it for you.

I would much rather be 6'4". I would happily go without a shower. I'm guessing most normal sized people would think twice about complaining about how I smelled.

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds":

TV: 2013 Ford Raptor SVT
Build Page:
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #19
2014 27' Flying Cloud
Brooksville , Florida
We traded a 2011 27' Flying Cloud RB for a 2014 27' Flying Cloud FB just to get the extra sofa space and an excellent view out the rear windows. Love it
Setats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Originally Posted by Setats View Post
We traded a 2011 27' Flying Cloud RB for a 2014 27' Flying Cloud FB just to get the extra sofa space and an excellent view out the rear windows. Love it
Wow you did all of that just to get the FB? You must really prefer FB!
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
We went with a front bedroom. We usually boondock in the desert so the trailer rarely gets unhitched.

This leaves us the view out the back. Works for us.
I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:01 AM   #22
Rivet Master
2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
We went with the rear bedroom so we could have two recliners comfortably situated in the front and also have a dinette on the road side.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:35 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Brian, more good points. I keep going back and forth on FB/RB LOL.

Evan is that your trailer/parking spot photo? That is exactly what I am looking for. Gorgeous.
Thanks Zybane,

Yes that's our unit. This was at the North End of Haida Gwaii overlooking a remote beach. In the remote distance, islands of the Alaska Panhandle can be seen from the dinette table. (Unlike Ms Palin, we couldn't quite see Russia from our 'house'. ;-)

- evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
After 75,000 miles in a FB, and many reviews of new Airstreams (which have enviable improvements) I still like the FB. The view is great (if you park it right), and why look at your hitch and TV in the morning with your bacon? The disadvantage is you gotta park it with the view in mind, and not every camp site is ideal for that. I generally select the "back in" sites rather than the "pull through" ones, even though pulling through is much more convenient. And I review prospective camp areas on Google Earth. Hey, why not? Life is short. Campsites to me are an experience not to be trivialized.
WBCCI 1489 AIR 20708
2015 Chevy 3/4 ton 4 x 4 gas; 2007 Safari FB SE
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"And I review prospective camp areas on Google Earth." We do, too. That also tells us if there might be any sharp corners to navigate while getting to our campsite. Of course, there is little out there to warn people about low-hanging branches.

Some State parks will have individual pictures of each campsite along with a brief description giving length, width, power, shade, and slope. That information really makes it easy to pick the right site.
David Lininger, kb0zke
AIR 54240
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #26
Full Time Adventurer
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I'm sitting at the Dinette looking at Devils Tower right now as I type this out. You couldn't get this view at this campground with a front bedroom.

Last week, we boondocked along a cliff edge in Buffalo Gap National Grasslands looking into Badlands National Park. You couldn't get this view with a rear bedroom either.

Our choice was because of how we "intend" to use it. We don't really do "RV" parks.
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:44 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I have slept in the front on my mattress on the sofa and in the rear bedroom depending on who is with me. I have to say that I prefer rear bedroom. First, I like privacy in a bedroom and quiet. Both are compromised with front bedroom models. I also do not like a panoramic window in the bedroom though on some models that is not a choice. I am convinced that the big window is why many complain of a lack of cooling as heat is radiated from the glass. In most parks or places I have been, the noise is on the front area with people talking-walking by, driving by, etc. The part about looking out, I really do not care about. If I want to look at the surroundings, I go outside rather than look out the windows. I like to eat outside and sit outside anyway if it is not too hot or rainy. I also completely concur with the door position and pads in parks. In most places I have stayed with pads, the pad favors the front (catering to motorhomes me thinks) so the trailer rear is far passed the pad.
2015 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast 3.55 Lariat
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
After reading these posts and other similar threads from the past it always amazes me how differently we all use our Airstreams. No wonder Airstream offers both front and rear bedroom layouts. There are advantages and disadvantages for each layout dependent partially, at least, upon where you predominantly stay (RV Parks, Campgrounds, Boondocking, etc.).

Great info shared by all, as always. And I like it when folks add...If you're out there enjoying life, any Airstream layout will do the job!

Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote