Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #1081
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Just got back from weekend trip - all felt great in tow

The only small issue I have is that as I stop at low speed I no longer "bump" bit just as I stop and settle - I see the airstream shifts laterally just a bit then re-centers

I got to wondering if the yolk that was installed by the dealer may be a tad off - and with a bit of measuring I think it's a half inch off center

I'm not sure of best place to measure though and thought I would ask

I think on the coming days I may call Sean and ask about the torque needed for the bolts I will need to loosen then re-tighten

Also it may give me a chance I hope to move the WD jacks back a bit as they contact the LP tank cover and have scratched them - that damage was done before I noticed the install problem - and I told my dealer about it already

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #1082
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Pharmgeek,
I am not familiar with the Propride installation only the Hensley. It sounds like you need to check the hitch for being squarely installed on the trailer and you probably need to kick up the brake controller a bit to get rid of the "Bump". It could also be that the trailer brakes are not equally adjusted.
I often watch the trailer when I stop and pull away to see if it straightens out. This is another way to know if your aggressive enough with the brake controller or the trailer brakes need to be adjusted.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #1083
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Just got back from weekend trip - all felt great in tow

The only small issue I have is that as I stop at low speed I no longer "bump" bit just as I stop and settle - I see the airstream shifts laterally just a bit then re-centers

I got to wondering if the yolk that was installed by the dealer may be a tad off - and with a bit of measuring I think it's a half inch off center

I'm not sure of best place to measure though and thought I would ask

I think on the coming days I may call Sean and ask about the torque needed for the bolts I will need to loosen then re-tighten

Also it may give me a chance I hope to move the WD jacks back a bit as they contact the LP tank cover and have scratched them - that damage was done before I noticed the install problem - and I told my dealer about it already

I am assuming that you got the ProPride manual and the dealer didn't keep it. I would recommend going through the installation instructions and comparing, step by step, the instructions vs what appears to have been done. The torques are (or at least used to be) in the manual. My opinion is that the yoke being 1/2 inch off center could be noticeable in the hitch alignment. Also make sure the yoke bracket is the same distance from hitch ball cup on both sides of the A-frame. (i.e. it forms an isosceles triangle with the A-frame). As mentioned above, the brake controller may not be adjusted aggressively enough.

Also I would suggest reading post 545 in this thread.

It quotes a post of mine. Then read the post following that. It was written by the originator of this thread. He still trolls the forums regularly, but no longer posts. His posts are usually worded in a silly manner and often stir up a lot of controversy. In any case read both sides of the issue and then decide on your own what to do. I can tell you I have had my yoke restrained in the manner I suggested for over 5 years and many thousands of miles with no yoke shifting and no damage to any component of the trailer or hitch.

I'm wondering if this post will raise 2air from the land of the living dead

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #1084
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Looks like I have some homework to do - thanks

Old 10-24-2014, 05:32 AM   #1085
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
THAT just sent me on a two hour retrospective of old 2air threads.... I really miss 2air...

Follow us at two bikes + an Airstream. http://Airgo.blogspot.com

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:01 AM   #1086
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobikes View Post
THAT just sent me on a two hour retrospective of old 2air threads.... I really miss 2air...

Follow us at two bikes + an Airstream. http://Airgo.blogspot.com
Me too....quirky style, but a valuable information provider.....

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:40 AM   #1087
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Interesting read.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
hi guys/gals/users/friends/watchers/trolls and all the other brilLLliant screen pixels...

goofy home brewed tweaks offered for free from some cat with a mouse are not fixes.

they come from folks who want you to screw up your hitch like they have

based on the idea that lemmings in mass offer protection from the cliff drop...

IF the hitch needs a fix let the designer/builder/manufacturer create it.

force has got to go somewhere and the bracket/yoke/Ubolts as designed allow for that, when the USER takes the angles to the limit.

this is akin to the shear bolts used on the older faded orange design with struts.

haha users got the 'wise idea' that replacing shear bolts with higher grade hardware was a fix...

when all that did/does/dooo is result in the struts bending/breaking...

or in this design the yoke/bracket being damaged by extreme angle turns/backing.

leave the friggin bracket/U bolts/yoke-finger alone or at the most follow the design and set up.
_________

while raising the tanks via a wood shim (on classics) or raising the tank brackets with bolts/washers (safari/flying cloud) is ok...

and perhaps necessary on some trailer A frames or years/models...

those are trailer mods not a hitch mods...be very careful about using free advice to FIX the hitch...

it's not broken as designed.

there are pictures at the front end of this thread that show bracket/Ubolt placement on the classic A frame...

+/- .5 to 1 inch of placement on either side of the specified 25 inches from the cup will clear the tank bottoms on the classics.

still raising the tanks a bit does SOLVE the airstream design failure that allows the jack wiring to wear through and catch fire...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...fe-39545.html?

but that's not a PP problem it's an airstream issue

(current models finally come with the keyhole cut suggested HERE in that older thread linked above)

how'dee morgan guy, KUDOS for reading it all...you will like this contraption.

ask sean for the pp' discount ne1 who reads the entire thread and passes a simple 10 question test may get a discount*

while any low fruit may occasionally drag, clearance is not really an issue. the spare tire bracket hangs just as low at the w/d bars...

yes there are rare conditions which may get the w/d bars near the ground

(like a continuously sloping campsite with sufficient angle relative to trailer length)

for visual confirmation of clearance look at some of the early pix in this thread OR in the sticky at the top of this sub forum...

((some topics were intentionally NOT covered in this newer thread because they had been throughly addressed in the haha thread))

spend a bit of time there and you'll begin to see the commonality vs the unique or improved features on the ppz...

in situations where the TV and trailer r on different angles RIGHT AT the hitch junction hooking up is still simple...

one simply loosens/tightens/adjusts the the jacks which alters the hitch head angle to match the TV/stinger angle ...

doing this during DISconnect/UNhooking allows the TV/stinger to pop free from the trailer/hitch head angle...

now just LEAVE the hitch head at that smooth disconnect angle.

then on REconnects/HITCH up the proper angle will already be there...

again this is covered in multiple places in the sticky thread on the old orange contraption.

the process is basically the same on the PP but the improved design of the hitch box means hook up at angles is much much much easier now.
_______

for the girl scout who posted in frustration earlier...

towing, maintaining, inspecting for safety

and generally fiddling with trailers and vehicles and hitches is a learned skill set.

wanna travel by trailer? acquire, learn and use the skill set...it's all within reach for almost every1.

there is not much point in hashing over your weight readings from a vehicle that has been SOLD...

when you get a new rig post some data and folks will help.

i would also caution you (and others) about so called HELP provided via PMz,

it is 87.4% of the time provided by some1 with too little spine to put there words in the OPEN FORUM for scrutiny ...

sorta like a stock tip.

telling you that posting your TV model would have resulted in ridicule is total HORSEapples...

it's also not really all that hard to sort out using the w/d-spring bars to balance the axle/tire loads on the TV or trailer...

folks providing FORMULA and links to other forums and PHD sounding crap are looking for self importance via complications...

after all isn't the secret to buying/selling stocks (not trading options) simply to buy low and sell high?

so start by weighing the TV axles and make note of the FRONT (steering axle) reading...

the goal of adjusting the w/d/spring/jack bars (after adding the trailer) is to RESTORE the steering axle loads to that original scale value.

no formula required, just note the 'buy price' and try to sell at the same price and no less.

the tv does NOT need to be perfectly level, again horses are dropping those apples.

getting the trailer level is another issue and starts with properly setting up the stinger for height/drop...

again when you actually OWN a tow vehicle and workout hitching post some pix and help will come...

or find a smart smurf to cOpILot.

cheers
2air'

*not really a discount morgan guy, just playing with ya...

((yeah guys i check in and read here from time2time but for the most part air forums has become an enormous waste of cyber space and time))

i do think some threads continue to be useful in spite of the vision and direction provided by the social nonsense network...

trick or treat!

((_((please don't send me any welcome back notes, i am not back))_))

post your trick or tread messages here please...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...th-18538.html?

now i am headed back to the candy bowl...

vaya con ayrestreema en hiya hoe slivaOsilver
Old 10-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #1088
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Sounds like a "Laurie And Fry" British comedy skit.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:28 PM   #1089
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Hi all, we are a few days away from picking up our airstream. We are from NJ and the trailer is in Florida.

I had shipped down a pro-pride hitch to be installed by an RV place, the seller meeting me somewhere in Florida.

He had a ford pickup and I have a Toyota.

How do I adjust the stinger height? How is the stinger height determined? I need to know in case I have to adjust it.

Also, does anyone know the size of the bolts for the stinger adjustments?

Thanks so much.
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #1090
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Gomotomoto, there are step by step instructions in the ProPride instruction sheet telling exactly how to do this, using a measuring tape to determine height.

Google ProProde installation and you will have forum threads, photos, and videos taking you through the install. Good idea to preview these. Here's a set of photos that are pretty good, for example:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rests/...7618684477177/

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:57 PM   #1091
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
Hi all, we are a few days away from picking up our airstream. We are from NJ and the trailer is in Florida.

I had shipped down a pro-pride hitch to be installed by an RV place, the seller meeting me somewhere in Florida.

He had a ford pickup and I have a Toyota.

How do I adjust the stinger height? How is the stinger height determined? I need to know in case I have to adjust it.

Also, does anyone know the size of the bolts for the stinger adjustments?

Thanks so much.
I don't have my manual handy but here's a pic (TV to left of frame, trailer to right).

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1000050975.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	225416

The manual tells you the procedure to determine height as well as the size of the bolts. The stinger is adjusted by sliding it up or down the bracket (or depending on the installation instructions, up or down in the bracket) and tightened with 3 sets of bolts.

Someone with a manual handy can give you more details...good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #1092
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
By the way, this thread starts out with an installation with photos and descriptions for an Airstream.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #1093
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Dang, Steve, that's a weird camera angle. With the shadows I first thought something broke and the whole thing was laying on the ground!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #1094
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Dang, Steve, that's a weird camera angle. With the shadows I first thought something broke and the whole thing was laying on the ground!
:-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:28 PM   #1095
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ha! thats some funny hitchin'!

I wonder... did the ProPride cause this?? Nah.. It was probably a poor repair from a tire tearing up...

I noticed a little 'looseness' in the beltline when we purchased from caretaker #2. I ask him 'what is this?" He said he never noticed... In pictures he sent me, I could see some movement of the aluminum in that area... but hey, this is a long, long trailer!

Now, if after this repair the problem resurfaces, then I will pull bellypans and FIX the problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mjolnir4.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	225420  
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:00 PM   #1096
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Awaiting the delivery of my new '15 Classic (probably early Jan). My new ProPride arrived yesterday in the usual perfectly wrapped boxes. It's going to serve as "weight" in the bed of my Ram 2500 until the trailer arrives. Sean hits it out of the park in service and responsiveness!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #1097
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Ok so I need to measure that vertical bit but at first glance can rock tamers hook there?

Old 11-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #1098
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Ok so I need to measure that vertical bit but at first glance can rock tamers hook there?

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1414850201.384226.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	913.0 KB
ID:	225483

Old 11-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #1099
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:

I assume you mean the vertical part of the stinger protruding upward? If so, then yes...I do it when using my van as the receiver mouth is tucked forward of the rear bumper edge. Works fine. You only need an inch or so of exposed "drop bar" to attach.

Name:	IMG_20130927_150311_733.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	225484

Old 11-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #1100
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:

Agreed - that is how I have my rock tamer connected and it should work just fine on your also.
Cheers
Doug