Old 03-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hi Mike,

The dealer should have gone over the hitching and unhitching with you. Here's a list to go through every time:

Unhitch:
1. Level trailer side to side using leveling blocks or board under tires as needed.
2. Block wheels with wheel chocks so the trailer will not roll once you unhitch.
3. Raise tongue of trailer (including rear of TV) to relieve some of the tension on the bars.
4. Undo bars from trailer brackets. Swing out to the side so they will clear the brackets.
5. Lower tongue to release pressure on ball hitch locking mechanism.
6. Release the hitch ball locking mechanism.
7. Raise tongue of trailer to release it from the ball on the TV.
8. Move TV out of the way.
9. Level trailer front to back using the tongue jack.
10. Remove bars from hitch head and stow. Remove hitch head from TV and stow. Unless you're a glutton for punishment, then you can leave the bars on the hitch head and remove both from the TV as a single unit. I wouldn't recommend that thought - they probably weigh 75 to 80 lbs all together.

To hitch up:
1. Install hitch head in TV. Install the bars on the hitch head. Ensure they are swung out to the side to clear the brackets on the trailer and any legs that might be in the way from a helper that's guiding you.
2. Back up and align the ball with the cup on the trailer.
3. Lower the trailer to hitch up to the ball. Lock the coupler mechanism on the trailer.
4. Raise the tongue and rear of TV some with the tongue jack to allow putting the bars on a bit easier.
5. Install the bars on the trailer brackets.
6. Lower the tongue of the trailer by raising the tongue jack. Raise the jack all the way.
7. Remove the wheel chocks, and you're hitched up.

Oh - I forgot the umbilical cord before. Unplug from the TV before you unhitch. Plug in once you're hitched, and check the lights on the trailer. Make sure the running lights and stop lights all work properly, including the turn signals and backup lights if you have them. Also, check the brake controller to ensure it's connected to the trailer bakes.

Hope this helps!

Chris

Old 03-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #114
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Hi Mike,

The dealer should have gone over the hitching and unhitching with you. Here's a list to go through every time:

Unhitch:
1. Level trailer side to side using leveling blocks or board under tires as needed.
2. Block wheels with wheel chocks so the trailer will not roll once you unhitch.
3. Raise tongue of trailer (including rear of TV) to relieve some of the tension on the bars.
4. Undo bars from trailer brackets. Swing out to the side so they will clear the brackets.
5. Lower tongue to release pressure on ball hitch locking mechanism.
6. Release the hitch ball locking mechanism.
7. Raise tongue of trailer to release it from the ball on the TV.
8. Move TV out of the way.
9. Level trailer front to back using the tongue jack.
10. Remove bars from hitch head and stow. Remove hitch head from TV and stow. Unless you're a glutton for punishment, then you can leave the bars on the hitch head and remove both from the TV as a single unit. I wouldn't recommend that thought - they probably weigh 75 to 80 lbs all together.

To hitch up:
1. Install hitch head in TV. Install the bars on the hitch head. Ensure they are swung out to the side to clear the brackets on the trailer and any legs that might be in the way from a helper that's guiding you.
2. Back up and align the ball with the cup on the trailer.
3. Lower the trailer to hitch up to the ball. Lock the coupler mechanism on the trailer.
4. Raise the tongue and rear of TV some with the tongue jack to allow putting the bars on a bit easier.
5. Install the bars on the trailer brackets.
6. Lower the tongue of the trailer by raising the tongue jack. Raise the jack all the way.
7. Remove the wheel chocks, and you're hitched up.

Oh - I forgot the umbilical cord before. Unplug from the TV before you unhitch. Plug in once you're hitched, and check the lights on the trailer. Make sure the running lights and stop lights all work properly, including the turn signals and backup lights if you have them. Also, check the brake controller to ensure it's connected to the trailer bakes.

Hope this helps!

Chris
Wow that was a very good explanation. The fact that no one showed him how to do this is unacceptable. It is though a good reason to be part of a group such as the forums and or WBCCI to help with questions and issues that come up for a newbie. Well even old guys scratch their heads from time to time.

RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Minno gave a very complete procedure for the EQH. One other point is that you can install (actually just slip on) plastic pads / sway bracket jackets on the L-brackets to reduce the noise from the load bars grinding on the L-brackets. Some say that this reduces effectiveness of the anti sway (not WD) ... we have not noticed the difference on either 20 or 25' towing. It is muuuuch quieter with the pads and my paint jobs last longer. If you wear off the decals, I would suggest that the L-brackets are mounted too far forward on the TT; however, Progressive will send you new decals for free. My "friction" spots on the load bars are near the end - not anywhere near the decals when I position the L-brackets at the optimum 32" specified by Progressive. And, no, the dealer install only got me off the lot and out of the tech's hair ... little was done properly with regard to the EQH install ... be sure to read your manual or look online. The EQH has many combinations - adjustable between the number of tilt washers and L-bracket positions. We only have 4 seasons on our hitch, but repaint it twice / year and it still looks like new (now painted in our EB green).
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I also moved my "L" brackets to the maximum distance from the ball coupler center and use the bracket jackets. I take the head apart before each trip to clean and grease the spring bar sockets. On long trips, I remove the spring bar sockets and re-grease them, randomly.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #117
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Ormond Beach , Florida
All,
Thanks for the quick reply. Gene, especially for the check-list!
Mike
Old 03-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #118
2 Rivet Member

Ormond Beach , Florida
So we are out on our shakedown weekend.
Have an EQ hitch and couldn't get the ball out and released from the hitch. The locking mechanism would not lift up to release. I finally got the hitch out of the receiver and free of the TV but it still will not release from the ball!
Any suggestions?
Lots of fun...
Thanks
Mike
Old 03-29-2013, 11:49 PM   #119
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikec1231 View Post
Have an EQ hitch and couldn't get the ball out and released from the hitch. The locking mechanism would not lift up to release. I finally got the hitch out of the receiver and free of the TV but it still will not release from the ball!
Any suggestions?
Lots of fun...
Thanks
Mike
Photo?
The lock will only release when the tong wight is on the ball and not lifted.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #120
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Go to bed.. worry about it in the morning.

First.. was this a NEW trailer and hitch system?

If so, it might have been set a bit tight. was the ball and trailer hitch lubed?

Next.. the first time I pulled our 'used' Airstream, I had a hard time getting it to disconnect. The way my hitch disconnects is to move the hitch latch forward.. away from the trailer, then lift.. I then had to rap on the 'receiver' portion a little bit to rattle thelatch enough for it to release... but, first I had to get the hitch release handle to move forward.

Even if trailer is 'new', there is a little breaking in period.. and if set too tight, or rusty inside, things will stick. BTW.. you do have a spray can of WD40..?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #121
2 Rivet Member

Ormond Beach , Florida
I had another glass of wine and figured tomorrow was another day.
Yes it is a new trailer
It is still stuck
I had no WD-40 tonight (but the wine is a good lubricant)
I used some PAM spray that my wife suggested but so far not luck.
Tomorrow I will run to a hardware store and find a way to release this (SOB)
Thanks for the help
Mike
Old 03-30-2013, 12:46 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Any suggestions?
Lots of fun...
Thanks
Mike
The latch must be pushed forward out of its detent, before you can lift up on it to release the ball.

doug k
Old 03-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #123
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
You have the WD bars released from the trailer brackets, right? Sometimes, we also have a bit to trouble getting the coupler to release from the ball while unhitching. When that happens, after raising the tongue of the trailer and rear of the truck with the jack, I jump up on the truck bumper and hitch head to add extra weight. A bounce up and down or two on the hitch head releases the ball from the coupler.

Chris
Old 03-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #124
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Any suggestions?
Lots of fun...
Thanks
Mike
Mike,

This is the key for any WD hitch set up.

After removing the bars, lower the jack until you see the ball move (the hitch ball will move -- you will see that it levels out).

ONLY after you see the ball move do you unlatch the hitch.

Then raise the hitch, and it should lift off of the ball.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #125
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Sandy , Oregon
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Thanks, for the thread. I own one and use it on a 30' Flying Cloud and pull it with a 08 F250. I was told by the Airstream dealer that if you do serious backing up that includes 90 degree turns the braces will come loose, which I do to park it. This is a serious safety problem, I've come home from a trip and the brackets have moved and the bolts are loose. What I don't care for is the fact that the Factory folks don't seem to care or offer any real solutions/improvements to the bolts coming loose. Your suggestions are great, as a consumer I would hope the factory would address our respective problems. We paid for quality and reliability, not poor design. I'll try some of your suggestions.
Thanks, Carlose
Old 03-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #126
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
What I do is to make sure after ther bars are removed not to have the weight of the TV on the back of the coupler, especially on a hill. Make sure the ball is up against the front of the coupler by driving slightly away from the trailer. Set your parking brake so the TV won't move back against the back of the coupler. Hope this helps