Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #141
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
We would never travel with 39 gallons of water, maybe 10 gallons.

Kelvin

Kelvin
Isn't that a bit sloshy ... hard even on models with baffles in the tank ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #142
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post

I would think that is 195 lbs for me, 157 lb for the wife and the tech 160 lbs plus a full water tank (39 gallons) when the hitch was installed.

Kelvin

Kelvin
Kelvin Kelvin, does your wife read these posts about her weight?

If the answer is yes, contact your lawyer soon.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #143
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Isn't that a bit sloshy ... hard even on models with baffles in the tank ...
I'm sorry, I find this hard to believe. With all the over-hitching threads and others, you'd think these units are so fragile we should wrap them in bubble wrap and park them in a (climate-controlled) garage!

Edit: OOPS - No, no, no, bubble wrap would mar the finish. Swaddling cloth, then :-)
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #144
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Large drop for Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon?

Hello again,

I'm still waffling about what hitch to get for my soon-to-arrive 25FB Flying Cloud. I have a 2010 Yukon Denali with auto-leveling rear air shocks. The top of the receiver on the Yukon is 24 inches off the ground. I found a calculator on the Equal-i-zer web site that tells you what shank you need for given values of receiver height and trailer coupler height. For my case, it says " we were unable to determine the right shank for your needs". An earlier poster on this thread mentioned a problem with the drop needed for his Suburban. Is there a reasonable solution? Or should I write off Equal-i-zer and look to another brand?

Steve
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #145
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
There are plenty of shanks out there. You need to go to an RV parts store and get what you need from them. My truck is only 20" to your 24" but I know there are longer shanks then what I use. The EQ hitch is a good and common system. You will have similar issues with other systems because its not the WD hitch, it's the shank drop.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #146
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Hello again,

I'm still waffling about what hitch to get for my soon-to-arrive 25FB Flying Cloud. I have a 2010 Yukon Denali with auto-leveling rear air shocks. The top of the receiver on the Yukon is 24 inches off the ground. I found a calculator on the Equal-i-zer web site that tells you what shank you need for given values of receiver height and trailer coupler height. For my case, it says " we were unable to determine the right shank for your needs". An earlier poster on this thread mentioned a problem with the drop needed for his Suburban. Is there a reasonable solution? Or should I write off Equal-i-zer and look to another brand?

Steve
I have a Suburban with an Equalizer. I use a drop shank supplied by the hitch folks and it adjusts just fine to the proper height for the trailer.

On another note: Be cautious about the GM autoride, or level ride feature when towing heavy trailers. I blew out two air compressors in 12 months on my Sub. Those are $700 each repair. I have decided that towing with a big trailer places too much duty cycle on the compressor, and so I am converting my suspension to a passive system. IMO, the autoride was meant to level the car when carrying passengers in the third seat and probably works fine for that.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #147
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
I have a problem setting up my e2 on my 2010 dodge 3500 diesel single axle to a 2009 airstream Panamerica. I have 1000 pound bars. To get my truck to lift back end back up and lower front the bars are hard to get on even with hitch lifted up and to get bars off is even worse even with hitch off ball this is my measurement. front back
2 holes showing at top empty truck unhooked 105 145
trailer weight on truck no e2 hooked up 115 100
trailer weight on truck e2 hooked up 110 105

3 holes showing at top empty truck unlhooked 105 145
trailer weight on truck no e2 hooked up 110 100
trailer weight on truck e2 hooked up 105 115

My hitch heifgt is 22 on top of ball and trailers all for corner are the same and level. I have 6 spacers in since my truck is a mega cab and is long. Only problem is getting bars on is hard and getting off is worse even with lifting hitch of trailer off ball. Bars are even with frame. Thanks for any help.
Pedecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #148
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
6 spacers is giving you a lot of angle on the bars. I think I'm using 4. Your #s look a little light on the back after hook up. I don't under stand the more spacers because you have a long truck. Sorry just rambling.

With a 1 ton you should be able to use less spacers transferring more weight to the rear end and giving you a better or less angle on the bars which would give you an easier lift on and off with the bars. Understand?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #149
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
Sorry about last post was in rush. I though I read in manual for longer vehicle use more spacers but what you are saying makes sense. The truck back end drops 45 with trailer load with no e2 with e2 hooked up and two hole showing on top of frame bars it drops 40 and font rises 10 with trailer load and with e2 hooked up front comes back down 5. Bars are not bad to get on but need trailer off hitch and helper bar to get on and off. With 3 holes showing on top it very hard to get bars on and very hard to get off. It raises back of truck 15 and lower front 10 back to unloaded height. Trailer hitch height and levels are good why are bars so tight. Will putting in less spacers like 4-3 make it easier to put bars on and off seems like front of truck is getting lower faster than back is rising. Thanks for help.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #150
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Less spacers will take the angle out of the head and put more weight on the back of the truck. The bars should go on easier at that point.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #151
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
http://youtu.be/LaLJEJ2-HSo

Here is a link that might help with hooking up.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #152
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
I will try 3-4 spacers next time and see how it works. Thanks
Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #153
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Here's a better vid that shows just hitching up. I think you will be happier with less spacers.
No problem have fun.

http://youtu.be/O-Wztf_C-Q4
Old 04-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #154
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
However, read this, relative to head angle. I find this to be a great article, even if I don't agree with other "Andy" methodologies.

Installing_Hitch_by_Andy_Thomspon.pdf

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #155
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
dzn that was a very good atricle to read. My setup right now seem good for the measurements on truck front and back but the bars are so hard to get on and off and I am use to making stuff work with force working on oil rigs and farming. I feel it might damage trailer if it takes that much force to get bars on and espically off. Is there a specal safe way to take bars off other than just pulling them sidways and making sure feet are not in the way.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #156
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
PedeCanada,

Use the trailer jack to lift the back of the truck up.
That takes the tension off the bars.
Then you can pull them off with one hand.

After they are off, lower the jack back down to where the tongue of the trailer is sitting on the ball, unhook the ball coupler, then run the jack back up, lifting the trailer off the ball altogether. Now you can pull away with the truck.

Piece of cake.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
PedeCanada,

Use the trailer jack to lift the back of the truck up.
That takes the tension off the bars.
Then you can pull them off with one hand.

After they are off, lower the jack back down to where the tongue of the trailer is sitting on the ball, unhook the ball coupler, then run the jack back up, lifting the trailer off the ball altogether. Now you can pull away with the truck.

Piece of cake.
Exactly. most of the AS jacks are 3500# capacity.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #158
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Ped', I think the numbers you were giving were metric. Most of us in the US don't do well with them, but it does help if you identify that you are talking Kg. and Cm.

Note that after a while with a new hitch, the washers tend to compress a bit even though they are hardened. So anther adjustment with more washers is to be expected later.

Gene

Old 04-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #159
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
I will try using jack to lift trailer couplted to truck to get bars off. So if you did not do this would it be very hard to get bars off or am I missing something.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #160
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The difficulty of getting the bars off depends on whether the truck and trailer are at the same level. The higher the truck is, the more difficult. But even with both level, lifting the trailer with the jack is necessary. One bar will come off first, then lift the trailer some more to get the other off. It helps to have someone on each side to see which bar comes off first—for us, it is usually the one on the driver's side.

There is a lever provided with the Equalizer to help get them on, but is less help getting it off. Sometimes I have used a claw hammer to help move the last of the two off the L bracket.

Gene