Are you feeling alright?

Bob
Yes.

Gene

Old 08-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #156
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I'm usually in Gene's camp with new technology, but those videos sure present a compelling case.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The Ford EcoBoost may have performed well in a Taurus, but will it do as well towing 7,000 lbs. or more? Will the engine take the additional stress well? That is what I would be concerned about. I am not a car dealer although I did practice a profession as well liked.

Gene
Old 08-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #158
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The Ford EcoBoost may have performed well in a Taurus, but will it do as well towing 7,000 lbs. or more? Will the engine take the additional stress well? That is what I would be concerned about. I am not a car dealer although I did practice a profession as well liked.
I wonder those questions about any vehicle I buy, be it cars or airstreams. But EVERY car maker builds lemons now and then, even Toyota. That's why we have warranties and lawyers...

Life is full of risks, but I'd rather enjoy the adventure than sit on the sidelines.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:

Gene
Gene, I personally like Lawyers I am surrounded by 5 of them. I asked because you seemed to lean more to the negative side concerning the EcoBoost. I feel like I am such a risk taker buying an EcoBoost in the first year of production, the feeling is as if I have thrown of the chains of bondage, next thing you know I will be doing extreme base jumping.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #160
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Port Townsend, WA , Washington
There is a big thread going about the Eco-boost in the Avion forum if your'e interested.

Good Luck,
Blake
'63 Avion H-24
Old 08-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Gene, I personally like Lawyers I am surrounded by 5 of them. I asked because you seemed to lean more to the negative side concerning the EcoBoost. I feel like I am such a risk taker buying an EcoBoost in the first year of production, the feeling is as if I have thrown of the chains of bondage, next thing you know I will be doing extreme base jumping.

Jim
Usually being surrounded by 5 lawyers means you are defendant. I hope that is not the case and you are enjoying the Ford.

I take risks on some things (stock market, for ex.) but not others. I want a truck that has no problems and 10 years ago I could count on Toyota for that. Lately, not so much. Ford has been known to put vehicles on the road that should have been tested more. Hopefully, under the new leadership they have had in recent years, they have gotten past that.

GM has entirely new leadership and we can thank the government for that. They got rid of the deadwood and encouraged change that was necessary. Their newest vehicles have been far better than the vehicles they were making before bankruptcy. Perhaps Fiat can clean up the mess at Chrysler—it looks like they know what they have to do, but will they do it? I don't know if Ford has changed as much and whether they still carry old Detroit management in the company. Toyota has problems too and they have said before they will fix them, but haven't and their ratings for reliability have suffered.

I think GM has a lot to prove and there is impetus to regain their long lost standing at the world's premier mass production auto company. Somewhere in the 70's (even the 60's) they lost their mojo, but momentum kept them going for decades despite some really awful cars. Since we are waiting for improved gas mileage, we may keep our 2 Toyotas longer than we might have and see what vehicles are the best. Maybe it will be Ford or GM or Toyota, probably not Chrysler.

Gene
Old 08-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #162
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Usually being surrounded by 5 lawyers means you are defendant. I hope that is not the case and you are enjoying the Ford.
Well I would be a well off defendant and I am living in New Orleans so it is a strong possibility.

I agree with you on all your points, I had good luck with my last F-150 and did feel I was taking a journey into the unknown going with the EcoBoost. I had to trade my truck due to age and I wanted to buy before I retire again. Our Airstream is also our evacuation capsule during hurricane season so I must have a reliable truck at all times. I have owned 3 Toyota cars over the years with no complaints. I did test drive a Toyota and liked the power and the truck but the gas mileage rating seemed low, they must be due for a model change. I kept the last F-150 for 10 years,I hope to trade this one off in 5 due to use. I really wasn't kidding buying the first year EcoBoost is about as much risk as I will take, no stock market for me.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #163
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Las Vegas and Big Sky , Nevada / Montana
I wouldn't worry about 9,000 GVW, get the 30'. I just pulled a 28' with slide Safari 9100 GVW and about 1000 pounds in the bed with a cap over 3000 miles from Vegas to Utah, Idaho, Montana and Colorado, 2500---11000 feet and didn't have any problems except for a slight shimmy between 1st and 2nd. Slight shimmy between 1st and second see Ford TSB 09-22-12. Will try and get shims installed next week when we get home. I haven't weighted truck/trailer, but I'd guess about 1000-1200 in bed of truck and about 8500 in trailer. I'd worry more about hitch weight on the config you are looking at. FYI 12.4 MPG at around 55 on two lane and 65 on hwy. Pulled all of the hills and passes with no problem.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #164
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
Eco Boost Results/ Not Towing

Purchased a 2011 F-150 with the Eco Boost V6 a couple of weeks ago. I put 600 miles on it around Austin then headed off for a week of flyfishing in Leadville Co. Route was Austin to Ft Worth to pick up my fishing buddy then direct to Raton Pass up to Pueblo then west up the Arkansas River to Leadville. We stayed outside Leadville at approx 10500 feet.

Mileage each way was just over 1000 miles. Added another 500 with one trip up and over Independence Pass to fish the Frying Pan and one trip to Eagle Vail for golf along with exploring the Arkansas and Leadville. In other words several different types of territory and terrain.

The Eco Boost was fantastic. I've attached the dashboard results Austin to Leadville and the entire trip. I checked the gallons used versus actual fillups and it was one tenth of a gallon off. Gauge saying I used more than the fillup. Used cruise control at 70 until Raton Pass then 75 in southern Colorado up to Pueblo. Austin to Ft Worth was 23 mpg.

Next a trip towing the Safari to Dallas next month.

PS: The fishing was fantastic!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leadville 2011 005.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	137816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leadville 2011 043.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	137817  

Old 09-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #165
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
2011 25' FB International
Carencro , Louisiana
All I can say is I love my EcoBoost..... it does a great job towing my 25FB. When leaving early from the campground you can idle out up hill with no noise..... what a great engine.... 3.5L = 213 CID..... not much.... (I grew up in the big block era) but bigger is not always better.... that is why I own my airstream..... EZ 2 Tow....
Old 09-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #166
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:

I take risks on some things (stock market, for ex.) but not others. I want a truck that has no problems and 10 years ago I could count on Toyota for that. Lately, not so much. Ford has been known to put vehicles on the road that should have been tested more. Hopefully, under the new leadership they have had in recent years, they have gotten past that.

GM has entirely new leadership and we can thank the government for that. They got rid of the deadwood and encouraged change that was necessary. Their newest vehicles have been far better than the vehicles they were making before bankruptcy. Perhaps Fiat can clean up the mess at Chrysler—it looks like they know what they have to do, but will they do it? I don't know if Ford has changed as much and whether they still carry old Detroit management in the company. Toyota has problems too and they have said before they will fix them, but haven't and their ratings for reliability have suffered.

I think GM has a lot to prove and there is impetus to regain their long lost standing at the world's premier mass production auto company. Somewhere in the 70's (even the 60's) they lost their mojo, but momentum kept them going for decades despite some really awful cars. Since we are waiting for improved gas mileage, we may keep our 2 Toyotas longer than we might have and see what vehicles are the best. Maybe it will be Ford or GM or Toyota, probably not Chrysler.

Gene
This is SCARY accurate for an industry outsider "lay" person. I am starting to see unusual numbers of F150, low mileage, trade ins on used car lots. I am completely unsure why, but they are there. Stay tuned.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #167

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
This is SCARY accurate for an industry outsider "lay" person. I am starting to see unusual numbers of F150, low mileage, trade ins on used car lots. I am completely unsure why, but they are there. Stay tuned.
If I were going to make a wild guess, I'd guess the fact that the F150 is one of the top-selling vehicles in the US, the F150 is thirsty, lots of people are out of work and can't afford their payment and/or fuel bill, and lots of people who own pickups in the US don't have any actual practical need for a truck would all tend to increase the number of them that turn up on used lots when incomes drop and fuel prices rise.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:27 AM   #168
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Nice fuel economy on the unloaded trip. There is no way I could coax 20.1 MPG out of my Tundra on a similar trip.

Now a pet peeve of mine about Ford which I see still exists. The oil pressure "gauge" reads 5/8 scale hot or cold, rain or shine, fast or slow. It does because it is served by a switch like an idiot light, either it is on on off. Why put a "scale" and a sweeping gauge on a two position device? On my '99 F250 which was a good truck BTW the voltmeter was similar. One position whether under charge or not. One time the alternator completely failed and the gauge didn't budge. Only a weak red warning light shaped like a battery alerted me to problem. The oil gauges border on fraud-an idiot light disguised as a gauge.

Toyota isn't much better. While the oil gauge moves, the coolant gauge, like Ford's, has a huge dead spot near the normal range. I estimate 25 degrees of coolant temp change centered around 190 degrees have to occur to move the gauge at all. The purpose, evidently, is to make owners think the cooling system is so robust the vehicle can handle any ambient condition without any effect whatsoever.

At least in my experience GM and Chrysler products have better acting gauges. Mercedes has nice gauges where installed. A coolant gauge which dares to go above half scale on a well cooled engine reflecting the ambient conditions... what a concept!