Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #121
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
CR sometimes is very wrong, and other times pretty accurate. They want all trucks to feel and act like cars and don't seem to understand there are good reasons for most differences. Their tests for maneuverability using cones have been shown to be error prone and unfairly rated some vehicles badly because their drivers do not do each test each vehicle the exact same way.

Let's suppose each truck is tested on the same roads at the same time of day for a long enough time to smooth out variations—an accident one time slowing everyone down and using more gas, for example. The numbers CR comes up with may be off for all trucks, but the comparisons between them should be fairly accurate. I would hope CR is smart enough to do mileage tests accurately. It's really not that hard.

What is significant is the differences between the trucks, not the absolute numbers. Why did the EcoBoost have the same numbers as the 5.0L Ford engine? Why is the Tundra higher with a bigger engine?

So far as the numbers the truck computer gives you about gas mileage, they are as accurate as gas gauges, odometers and whatever chip they use to calculate the number. It appears most or all register higher numbers than calculating it ourselves using paper, pen, calculator or mind, and the slightly off odometer (it reads about 2% high). Since the manufacturers want you to believe gas mileage is higher than it is, is it strange the numbers they give are higher than reality? And the readout that tells me how many miles I have before I run out of gas is from 50 to 75 miles off—in the opposite direction. The gas pump light comes on first, then the gauge reads E, then the read out gets to 0, and if I buy gas then, I usually have 3+ gallons, sometimes 5. So they are trying to protect us from ourselves—so we don't run out of gas. How nice if they just told the truth.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #122
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Tom, thanks for the link to CR's more expansive report on the Fords. It doesn't give comparisons to like numbers for other trucks, but does add to the information.

CR did do a towing test on both Fords and got 10 mpg overall with a 7,500 lb. trailer. Maybe with an Airstream it would be higher.

Gene
Old 08-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I've got a supercab with an 8 foot box and a leer cap. Hd load rating and max tow.
3.73 rear ratio and 2670 lb cargo capacity. That's about as heavy duty as you can get a 150.
If I drive at 60 mph on the highway and 50 on secondary highways with small towns thrown in I get 10 litres per 100km. That's about 27 or 28 MPG Imperial.
When towing my 31 foot Airsteam which has a dry weight of 7300LB. I get 14 to 15 MPG Imperial consistently. This is in Ontario and New York State and Pennsylvania.
Not mountainous but there are some good hills.
And yes it is an ecoboost engine and I drive conservatively. Towing I don't exceed 60 MPH.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
CR is VERY pro-foreign car if you look at their past statistics. I, personally, am very pro-USA made/owned and prefer Ford, since they took no Gov't money. That said, if I had to make a second choice, it would still be a USA company. That's just me. My son-in-law is a Honda nut and we have our moments.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #125
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I think Ford has learned their lesson especially with the 6.0L Diesel. It looks like they really gave the new EcoBoost engine some severe testing. I will be interested to see how the EcoBoost engine stands up in a year or two especially when used for towing. This could really change my idea of what I need for a tow vehicle. I currently do have a Ford F250SD with the 6.0L engine and have had absolutely no problems with it, but I follow the recommendations for oil changes and maintenance.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #126
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
CR Bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
CR is VERY pro-foreign car if you look at their past statistics. I, personally, am very pro-USA made/owned and prefer Ford, since they took no Gov't money. That said, if I had to make a second choice, it would still be a USA company. That's just me. My son-in-law is a Honda nut and we have our moments.

Pap
I agree that CR does seem to have quite a bias for vehicles made by foreign companies whether made overseas or made in a US factory. This has been my observation for years and is a reason I refuse to subscribe to their publications.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #127
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
My take on it is that they have a bias for what their readers report is reliable, if it coincides with what they test to be well-finished, good riding and handling, and over all good value.

To judge a car as good or bad simply based on where it's from doesn't help anybody to make a choice as to where they will be able to get a car that they can keep for a long time without it costing a lot for service.

The ratings they give for reliability are derived only from the readers that respond to CR's call for reports on the cars they drive. These are real reports from real users, no bias there.

Here's the good thing about it all:

After many years the domestic car manufacturers made their cars a lot better, and in many cases, they are getting really good ratings from CR and others.

That's a win for everyone, the workers in the local plants that make them, AND the buyers that help keep more jobs in the US and Canada while enjoying good, reliable vehicles.

Let's get back on topic now, and talk about the new F150's motor, that fabulous EcoBoost!
Old 08-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #128
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
So of those of you who actually own an Ecoboost, is Ford dealing in this economy or are they playing the supply and demand card?

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #129
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I love a good truck war

But I see the Mods are wathcing so I'll keep quiet.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #130
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
Great milage, great towing power!

Have had the Supercrew 4wd Ecoboost since March and really like it. Went from Montana to Minnesota, and this weekend was up in the Beartooths above Red Lodge, way up.
I know everyone has their own opinion, but I own one, drive one, tow with one, and have towed many trailers with many trucks before. I just really am glad I made this purchase (Have had surburbans and chevy pick-ups before with no complaints) but this truck is simply better than the ones I have owned before, not just read about. It may be too early to tell, as it is new, but the others were bought new also.

One point I do wonder about. I think Ford had purchased SAAB for a while, and I have had about four Saab Turbo 4 cylinders in the past, which were very high performance, and ahead of their time. I also think Ford sold the Saab line a while back, but maybe they kept some of the technology.

And yes, better milage than CR reported. Actually coming from Red Lodge this weekend, (only about 70 miles and yes, all down hill), did get just over 20 towing a 19' Bambi. Normal level towing is about 13 to 14, and closer to 20 at around 65mph when not towing, average.
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
So of those of you who actually own an Ecoboost, is Ford dealing in this economy or are they playing the supply and demand card?
In my case it was more like Lets Make A Deal. I found the truck I wanted by looking over the dealer inventory on line. I went to a couple of other dealers and did some test deals to get a feel for the market. I then went to the dealer who had the truck I wanted and gave them the stock number, I told them I wanted that truck and what I wanted added.( Ford brake controller) I wanted them to know when the deal was right I was buying.

As far as CR I find you can find better information just by researching the web. CR is another hold over from another age.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #132
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Saab was owned by GM. Volvo was owned by Ford. Volvo is now Chinese and Saab may be dead or on the ventilator.

CR and I have had the same bias—I bought many foreign cars and trucks because they were better: more reliable, safer, handled better, better brakes. They used disc brakes, front wheel drive, rack and pinion steering first and US manufacturers were slow to adopt them. CR recommends the best ones regardless of nationality and although I disagree with some of the things they have said, they do a pretty good job overall. If CR hadn't shown how foreign vehicles were better, your Fords and Chevies wouldn't be so good now. Competition is good. And CR has given a lot of credit to the changes in US companies recently to make them competitive in the world market. So, the bias is towards quality and reliability.

I hope the EcoBoost proves out and stimulates other manufacturers to be innovative and come out with better mileage numbers.

Gene
Old 08-04-2011, 06:18 AM   #133
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I've noted the CR bias against trucks, when I was last in the market. The reviewers made negative comments on features that a truck is supposed to have. like, "well..its awfully big", and "gosh, it takes forever to fill this giant fuel tank; hope you have lots of time.".

um...its a truck, einstein.

The other thing that jumped right out at me was their chart with the dots--black, clear, red dots indicating high and low points. Now, there were only 3 trucks available at this time. It was just before Toyota and Nissan entered the full-sized truck market. All 3 half-tons got about the same mileage. all three were given the solid black dot. That is "wrong" according to their own definition. The definition of these indicators in their own "key" on the page states .."as compared to similar vehicles". Well, then, they should all got the clear-circle. Or, one red, one clear, one black, as the trucks were rated at 13, 14, and 15mpg. Unless they consider anything with 4 wheels as "similar", and they want to compare the fuel economy of a pickup truck with a honda civic, then yeah, sure, "black dot" it is. But that ain't hardly fair.

Anyway, I still wouldn't dismiss them entirely; just be aware that they're probably not the best source for unbiased information on trucks.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #134

Currently Looking...
San antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
One of my coworkers has been looking at the Ecoboost trucks and it looks like around here the dealers are trying to make deals. The early adopters have all jumped in and bought at sticker just to get one and now they have to deal to move the trucks. Plus 2012s will start arriving soon so the 2011s have to go.
shfd739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #135
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Just tell them you want to lease, it's better than buying new anyway, even if you really do want to buy. I can show you on paper easy.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #136
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Bozeman , MT
I purchased new Ecoboost in April, had to order, because they are hardly any 157" wb, all the dealers around Vegas tried to screw me at about $2K over invoice. So, I talked to Long McArthur Ford in Salina, KS. they were at invoice and ordered what I wanted. With rebates and incentives, I purchased a loaded lariat for $40K, sticker was around $48K and with the Nav package Ford threw in a moonroof. Tried to pay cash, but dealer said if I financed at least 15K Ford credit would throw in another $1K rebate, so I financed for 30 days. Currently have 6000 miles with about 2500 pulling a 28' AS with Slide, about 9000 pounds. Getting just under 12 mpg in mountains, about 19 mpg without trailer. So far only one small problem, I will get fixed when I get home. Slight shimmy between 1st and second see Ford TSB 09-22-12. Suppose to be some shims to adjust the rear pinon angle. Pulled AS with a 08 Tundra and there in no comparsion in the "real" mountains. Tundra was at 4500 RPM at 40 mph on Vail Pass, Ecoboost around 2800 RPM at 55 mph same with same load (about 1200 pounds in bed and 9000 pounds AS).
Streamer1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #137
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
40k for a new half-ton PU? Really? WAY outta my price range.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #138
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
40k for a new half-ton PU? Really? WAY outta my price range.

Jim
Awhacked that rivet Jim .....glad I don't need a replacement.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #139
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Bozeman , MT
Look at it this way, it's only about 25 ounces of GOLD......
Streamer1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Looking

We have a 2011 Eco Boost, 3.73 rear, heavy duty towing and brake control from Ford. We are currently looking at three AS. One a 30' Silver Cloud with the lounge chairs up front, the second a 25' Silver Cloud and a 25' International. Without question if not for the weight of the 30", 8,800 GVW we would get that one. The other two are about 1,200 pounds lighter GVW. The truck is rated at 17,000 TOTAL GW of 17,000 with a maximum towing capability of 11,300.

Any suggestions. I am now in a battle with my wife over which trailer. Having towd a lot in the distant past I have always liked to be over powered and under weight maximums, but she loves the two lounge chairs and I've measured trying to figure a way to take the dinet out and replace with chairs up front but just don't think there is room

Now that we have made the decision to get our first AS we are coming up with all kinds of questions.

Thanks
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote