Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
That truck will easily tow that trailer.

One needs to be mindful of truck limits (don't exceed axle or tire ratings) and as with any vehicle combination one needs to set the hitch rigging carefully (weight scale number values). Plenty of threads on the last bit (read through older thread with "Cat Scale" in thread title beginning to end). Pubished figures are estimates compared to real values obtained by weighing. A good hitch set up is dialling it in down to the last bit.

A weight-distribution hitch with integrated antisway (Pro Pride or Hensley the top, Reese Dual Cam a step down, but decent enough), trailer brakes that have been gone through, and probably new tires plus inspection of TT axles for aging, are all part of setting up an older TT.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Hi Jeremy,

I have a 2008 Tundra...which is pretty much the same as a 2013...and I feel 25 feet is about the limit for me.

Gene
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
This isn't about making a leap of faith. I've run the numbers on my setup, a Honda Odyssey Touring towing a 1984 34' International - axle weight, total payload, hitch weight, the lot and nothing came even close to being a problem.
I am curious, Andy. What are the numbers on your setup?
Old 08-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
I am curious, Andy. What are the numbers on your setup?
The 1984 34' International weighs in at 6200lbs (empty), about 7000lbs ready for travel. The tongue weight comes in at approx 700lbs when fully loaded, 625lbs empty. We don't carry heavy stuff like generators, extra gas, firewood, extra water or huge bbqs.

The total payload for the Odyssey is 1380lbs, distributed fairly evenly over both axles.

So even with a fully loaded trailer, I still have approx. 700lbs in payload left. To put this into perspective, the Toyota Tundra, heavily pushed as a TV by Toyota with a tow rating just under 10,000lbs, has less payload (crew cab) than the Odyssey.

The Odyssey is fitted with a custom strengthened hitch and a transmission cooler. I use a Hensley hitch.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Thanks. What is the GVWR and the GCVWR of the Odyssey?
Old 08-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I agree with Gene. I pull a 26' Argosy with my '08 Tundra Double Cab, 2 wheel drive.
There is no way I would tow a larger trailer. While the truck has plenty of power, far exceeding the '98 Dodge 3/4 ton it replaced. It's also far superior in the handling arena.
If I had a coach that is 30' or longer. The minimum for me would be 3/4 ton and perhaps a 1 ton. Depending on the specs. The longest wheel base available.
The heavier and longer the TV, the better the stability in my opinion. Although it can be a challenge in the Wal-Mart parking lot.
It's not the pulling capacity that concerns me. It's the ability to make the trailer go where you want it to and stop it in a hurry when necessary.
If an 8,000+# trailer gets into an argument with a 5,500# truck. Which one will win? The heavier one every time.
It's too bad Toyota doesn't make a 3/4 ton truck. What a truck it would be.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
This thread is about Tundra/34" Airstream. Skewer the Odyssey on another thread.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
This thread is about Tundra/34" Airstream. Skewer the Odyssey on another thread.

doug k
Who said anything about skewering the Odyssey? I just want to know what the weight ratings are. Your accusations are uncalled for.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #29
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
I don't know what all of your concerns are about...........Didn't it tow the space shuttle?

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:25 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
In the interest of not derailing this thread, may I please direct you here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/gcwr-108704.html

That thread looks in detail at the relevance, such as it is, of GVWR.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:27 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Btw, whether you can tow a trailer or not is rarely a question of trailer length. With a Hensley Hitch, or similar, length becomes pretty much irrelevant.

The question is trailer weight. A 34' from the 80's weighs in at less than a modern 25'.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #32
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
You work for them ?
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
What do you think would happen if you tried to come off of a mountain pass in Colorado towing the space shuttle?
Just because you have the capacity to tow it. But! Can any TV handle the trailer behind it? That's the question.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Just a personal opinion, but if a hitch like a Hensley is required to tow safely the tow vehicle is too small.
Admittedly my experience with a Hensley is limited to about 2000 miles when I delivered a 26 foot Overlander to Ca. It towed fine, after going through the setup procedure, but then that size trailer would tow fine with WD and no sway control.
The hassle of hooking up and the non adjustable bar alone would turn me of from these.
I have taken several 34's across the US using a Reese Dual Cam and they towed fine. Not sure of the year but they were obviously very heavy, but then they had all the owners belongings in them.
It should be kept in mind that all new larger trailers are delivered to dealers with only weight distributing hitches, no sway control devices and there are very few accidents. Not recommending anyone do away with there sway control but I think it is highly oversold. I had the "got to have it" mindset until I started delivering trailers commercially.
If I already owned the Tundra and it was borderline I would probably try it. If I was buying a new vehicle I would opt for something where I would not be near maximum capacity.

Even assuming the towing can be done safely I would have major concerns about braking ability and fading on long downgrades.

I'll put on my fire proof suit now
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #35
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Please do not offend the tru believers.

Some folks can do no rong, I just wish I was one.

If it works for you...great.

Peace on 'ya.

Bob
Old 08-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Just a personal opinion, but if a hitch like a Hensley is required to tow safely the tow vehicle is too small. . . .

I'll put on my fire proof suit now
No need for the suit.

We bought the Hensley/ProPride style hitch because they eliminate the possibility of trailer sway causing a loss of control. That's safe towing for the o.p.'s Tundra, or anyone else.

I personally know only one fellow who wrecked his 28' Airstream from loss of control due to sway, and he had an F250 and Reese system. The Hensley style hitch would have prevented it.

These modern hitches, independent suspensions, electronic sway controls, better tires, disc brakes on truck and trailer all make the idea of bigger truck as the answer to safe towing a highly questionable theory. The resistance to these innovations is baffling.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have towed many miles and many places with my Tundra. See my avatar and my signature. Anyone who doubts the capability or safety of my rig is welcome to drive it and see for themselves that everything is ok.
I know a guy that pulls a 32' triple axle gooseneck utility trailer with a Tundra. GVW on that trailer is at least 21,000#.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1145393808.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	465.2 KB
ID:	193835   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-318948054.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	539.8 KB
ID:	193836  

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I personally know only one fellow who wrecked his 28' Airstream from loss of control due to sway, and he had an F250 and Reese system. The Hensley style hitch would have prevented it.

These modern hitches, independent suspensions, electronic sway controls, better tires, disc brakes on truck and trailer all make the idea of bigger truck as the answer to safe towing a highly questionable theory. The resistance to these innovations is baffling.

doug k
Here Here X2
Old 08-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #39
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Only person that would knock the Tundra is someone who's never owned one.

5.7 liter = 381 horsepower and 401 pound-feet of torque
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #40
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Just a note here folks on braking. In the old days 1/2 tons had smaller brakes due to the smaller wheels but on todays 1/2 tons the brakes are much larger. The brakes on a Tundra are virtually the same size and capability as the brakes on a 3/4 ton. In a panic stop it will stop in less distance due to less weight to stop and much stickier tires, towing or solo.

The 5.7 Litre has an abundance of engine brakeing if you shift down going down hills. Braking with it is not an issue compared with a 3/4 ton. Handling is also better than any 4x4 3/4 ton with a straight front axle and comparable to the 3/4's with independent front suspension.

If you can't tow an Airstream with 400 horsepower hard to understand how they sold all those 34's in 1991 when the most power vehicle you could by had 250 HP but most towed with 210.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote