Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Birmingham , Alabama
Can a 2013 Tundra tow a 34' Airstream Classic Limited? (specs for TV and AS included)

Hi,
I'm trying to figure out if a 2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7L V8 can safely and comfortably tow a 1991 Airstream Limited Classic 34' Travel Trailer. I've been looking for a concrete answer for weeks, but can't find a definitive answer from someone who's an authority on the subject. Please help!

Here are the specs and capacities for the Tundra:
2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7L V8
4.30 Rear Differential Ratio
Curb Weight = 5,335 lbs
GVWR = 7,000 lbs
Max Payload = 1,330 lbs
Tongue Weight Capacity = 1,040 lbs.
Max Towing Capacity = 9,900 lbs.
Max GCWR = 15,860 lbs.

Here are the specs for the 1991 Airstream Classic Limited 34':
Dry Weight = 7,300 lbs.
Hitch Weight = 800 lbs.
GVWR = 8,900 lbs.

Please help! I've been racking my brain to figure this one out. I think it would work and most of the sales people think it'll work, but I'd like to find out from someone who's an authority on the subject and with them reviewing all of the specs that I have on the Tow Vehicle and the Travel Trailer. I will be taking the trailer up some steep grades thru the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee from time to time, so please keep that in mind when giving advice.

Thank you sooooo much!

Jeremy
auburns2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Wow, you would be near max...then include hills and other traffic.... Also what goes up must come down. Brakes, plenty of them are crucial. You can't "feather" electric brakes on AS as they will likely fail to hold well enough. Will someone help verify the brakes are up to the trip? What brake controller?

There are so many variables... Experience towing? Condition of AS tires, etc. how long have you owned the AS? How many towed miles?

Have you tried "sudden" stops? How do TV and AS behave? All brakes skid same?

Are you really serious?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
I own 34 foot and can tell you that you will not be happy with Toyota pulling that trailer you need 3/4 ton or more suspension and brakes to be happy.
Pedecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We really do want to help. Please, think this through. That is a LOT of weight to handle. My 2012 Silverado Duramax 2500 4x4 is up to the task. Just FYI.

I have the tow, engine brake, heavy duty braking, etc. I went through some mild hills in Arkansas and handled well. Never a spooky moment.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
You don't mention the wheelbase of your truck. Long wheelbase goes a long way in adding stability. Look online (sorry I don't have the link) for discussions about wheelbase. I also have a spreadsheet that might help, but I'm new to this site and I don't know how to insert an Excell file. By most accounts, a 3/4 ton Suburban is marginal with a 34 - stiffer, longer wheelbase 3/4 ton pick-up is preferred...

Phil in Bellflower
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburns2003 View Post
Here are the specs and capacities for the Tundra:
2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7L V8
4.30 Rear Differential Ratio
Curb Weight = 5,335 lbs
GVWR = 7,000 lbs
Max Payload = 1,330 lbs
Tongue Weight Capacity = 1,040 lbs.
Max Towing Capacity = 9,900 lbs.
Max GCWR = 15,860 lbs.

Here are the specs for the 1991 Airstream Classic Limited 34':
Dry Weight = 7,300 lbs.
Hitch Weight = 800 lbs.
GVWR = 8,900 lbs.
Add the GVWR of the truck to the GVWR of the Trailer and this equals 15,900 which is just over the GCWR of the truck(15860). The GVWR of the truck includes fuel, passengers, and payload (including hitch weight), and should not be exceeded. The GVWR of the trailer includes the trailer dry weight plus gear, water, propane etc.. With a trailer GVWR of 8900 minus the trailer dry weight, this means you can carry 1600 lbs in the trailer.

If you carried no passengers, no gear and no water or propane, You could probably get away with it, but that won't happen! Since it looks like you already have the trailer and are looking for a new truck, you should go with an F250, 2500 or similar.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Jeremy,

If you want to read something interesting about what tow vehicles can be used with which trailers, have a read of this thread.

The following link starts at about post #57, where the discussion gets interesting.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ml#post1235882 There's a lot to read, but it's worth the effort.

Andrew T is the owner or Canada's largest Airstream dealership, and regularly writes for several RV magazines, usually about towing. Also, he is regularly invited to speak at the annual Allumapalooza event that Airstream has on their property at the plant in Jacksom Center, OH.

His father founded Can-Am RV about 30 years ago, and Andrew and his brother have run it since he retired.

He has set up literally thousands of tow vehicles and trailers, and freely shares his experiences with those who wish to hear it.

He did super job of connecting Henri, our '74 Sovereign, to the 2005 Ford Freestar that we bought on Andrew's recommendation, and that is the only way I know him, as a very satisfied customer.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Jeremy

I have an 08 Tundra 2we, double cab, 5.7L, six speed and I love it. My trailer only weighs 4800 lbs yet when the truck and trailer are loaded with people, dogs, bikes, camping gear, fuel, etc I am within 200 lbs of the truck gvwr and the rear axle weight rating. This is the weak link with the Toyota and all other 1/2 ton trucks. Now having said all this, I also have an 84 3 1' Excella 500. When I get it ready to camp, I will tow it with my Tundra.

I wish I had a 34'. It may weigh 1000lb more than my 31 but it has 50% more tires and brakes.

I recommend talking to Andy. I trust his judgement, experience and knowledge.

Good luck.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Size Really Doesn't Necessarily Matter

Andrew Thomson set up my assembly (see avatar) 12 years and ~35,000+ miles ago. The tow vehicle is a 5,000# 2001 BMW X5 with a 4.4L V8 making ~300 hp and ~350 #' of torque. The Airstream is a 2002 31' Classic Limited with a GVWR of 8,300# and a tongue weight with Hensley of ~900#.

If my stinkin little SUV can do it, your big 5.7L V8 should work out just fine. Toyota makes well engineered vehicles. Search on "withidl" for more on my assembly.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I'm no expert on what truck can tow what trailer but as others have said, we know a man who is. Have a chat with Andy at Can Am, he'll sort you out.

In the mean time, watch these videos to see other vehicles towing a 34' Airstream:

Can-Am RV Centre | Your Towing Experts

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I have towed my 1986 '31 Sovereign over 50000 miles in the past 9 years. It has been weighed in full travel trim at just under 8k pounds. My TV is a 2004 Nissan Titan 1/2 ton which just passed 157000 on the odometer. Lots of climbing and descending...

I did upgrade the brakes to slotted/dimpled rotors so they are almost as good as the stock Tundra brakes.

Never a white knuckle moment. The few "oh sh**" stops were straight and true. Going downhill is a matter of common sense, using the "tow haul" mode properly and energy management.

That said, I will say that I am a weight "miser" -- we don't carry everything we might conceivably need only those things we probably will need.

Every year, we toss out some more things that we concluded were superfluous.

I think you can do what you propose as long as you mind your weight and get a good hitch and brake controller.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:33 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Birmingham , Alabama
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback! The tundra I'm looking at is a crewmax, so it has a short 5.5' bed. Sounds like I need to find Andy with Can Am RV and get his advice. Anyone know how Ivan reach him? Thanks again! Jeremy
auburns2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:11 AM   #13
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
This guy did it with a Tundra...

2009 Panamerica - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstream Trailers For Sale
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:17 AM   #14
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
I'm no expert on what truck can tow what trailer but as others have said, we know a man who is. Have a chat with Andy at Can Am, he'll sort you out.

In the mean time, watch these videos to see other vehicles towing a 34' Airstream:

Can-Am RV Centre | Your Towing Experts
They'd be the last people I'd ask for advice.

What I saw in the videos was the work of an 'Expert salesman'.
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
I have a 2013 F150 Super Crew with the Ecoboost. I do not have the MaxTow package which brings my factory rating down a bit to 9600lbs. My trailer is lighter than yours but only by about 500lbs. I have to be careful how much I put in the bed of the truck (payload) but apart from that I'm happy that I didn't get the Max Tow as it would have impacted my non towing mileage. Your payload is about the same as mine.

While I only just got the 34' a few weeks ago, I did tow my 31' about 1500 miles over the past month. After changing to the 34', there is really not much difference between the two, the 34 might even tow better. I believe that Airstream intended my trailer to be towed by a car (albeit full-size) and I suspect they hadn't changed their thinking with yours.

I think your truck is likely better than any full-size car of that era was. Go for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1987_airstream_brochure004.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	193743  
BradB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post

I agree completely. I tow for a living but I would not get in half of these set ups that can am does. He sets up whatever the customer has or wants to tow with with convinces them it is safe. Look thru the forums and research some the threads on what he recomends. The Tundra will tow the camper but I don/t think you will be happy with the combination or it will be safe.I pull with a 2001 f350 with the 7.3 diesel and when I get in the mountains with that kind of load it still works my truck pretty hard. Just remember because you can pull it doesn't mean you can control it or stop it safely.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The Tundra matches up fine. The safe and comfortable will be found in the hitch setup, managing your camping gear and the way you balance it's load, and the way you drive.

We experimented with different style hitches but only found the Hensley or ProPride hitches to be truly safe and comfortable.

Drive according to conditions, shift down and reduce speeds as needed for climbing and descending grades (That's why the transmission is there). Use tow/haul transmission mode and always reduce speeds (a lot) before descending long, steep grades. Slow down and wet or slippery roads. Drive safely to be safe and comfortable; true with any tow vehicle.

Know that you'll get every possible opinion (including this one) on the internet, so use good judgement when deciding.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post

Hmmmm, they're pretty good at it, though, aren't they? Forty years and more in business and world renowned source for towing expertise, including working with Airstream and the Society of Automotive Engineers; I'd take their advice over any of the self appointed experts here.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
As would I.

Quote:
Hmmmm, they're pretty good at it, though, aren't they? Forty years and more in business and world renowned source for towing expertise, including working with Airstream and the Society of Automotive Engineers; I'd take their advice over any of the self appointed experts here.
BradB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Another satisfied CanAm customer here. If anybody knows what they're doing, its these guys.

This isn't about making a leap of faith. I've run the numbers on my setup, a Honda Odyssey Touring towing a 1984 34' International - axle weight, total payload, hitch weight, the lot and nothing came even close to being a problem.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote