OMG!!! thats AWESOME!!!!!

Old 11-19-2012, 04:13 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Hi StreamlinaAK
Just wondering how is the Alaska weather treating you? Love your thread and the stove!
Please keep the pics coming!
Regards

2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
Doing good! Single digits these days and it is quite nice in the trailer. Very warm by the roof, but the trailer is drafty enough that is still stays cool near the floor. The coal is great to burn, very slow and hot. Still in love with the Morso, it is a great stove. This year , so far, has been very mild, we don't have much in the way of snow, just a couple of inches. I hope we get a little more for insulation!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
It has been a VERY light snow year, but I do have to say that the temperature has not been as friendly. -13 at the trailer today. The coal stove is nice, I have seen temps in the 90s in the trailer, BUT it is drafty, as poster eariler, the floor stays quite cold. Due mind, that the trailer is not skirted. I do wake up in the night to stoke the stove, our coal here is sub-bitumious coal, so it is not the best quality, but burns decent. When the fire does go out, the temps do drop fast, I have came home to 34 degrees after 10 hours at work. So it is mostly comfortable, but these cold temps do mean it drops fast, but by no means un-livable. Still loving the Morso stove. No signs of fresh air issues or bad draft.

A ice picture from the yard:[IMG]
Frost by waywardcatphoto, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 12-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
StreamlineAK

Thanks for the update and glad to here that you seem to be doing well. But -13 degrees! Yikes but that is mighty cold. I think that if your trailer were skirted that the floor would not be nearly as cold. I wonder if a fan operating might even out the temperature gradient from the ceiling to the floor.

Dan
Old 12-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #48
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Some straw bales around the edge, one or two 100 watt light bulbs under there, it might add up to a significant increase in floor warmth at a very reasonable investment cost. It's never too late to try, is it?
Old 12-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
It's never too late to try, is it?
Yeah but then I have to work out in the cold! I SHOULD skirt it, but it is doing ok. Strawbales are actaully kinda of expensive here too, as well as a fire danger, but I know it would really help. Although, sometimes it is hot enough the cool floors are needed!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I really think you need to skirt your trailer. It will make the floor substantially warmer and will save a significant amount of money for your coal budget.

There are lots of ways to skirt a trailer, but I have throught of one that I believe would be cheap and effective. Typically, fiberglass wall insulation comes with a kraft paper on one side and just fiberglass insulation on the other side. Lately I have seen it sold with the fiberglass insulation being contained in a sleeve. I believe the sleeve was plastic. This will protect the fiberglass, improve the insulation value by providing a built in air space and keep the insulation from getting wet. If the sleeved insulation is not available, I would just make my own sleeve using house wrap. My plan would be to tape the sleeved insulation to the Airstream, using duct tape of course, and secure the lower side to the ground by covering with some gravel. I would use 24" wide insulation. Hopefully, you will then get some snow that will provide more insulation on top of the skirting.

Just a suggestion.

Dan
Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
StreamlineAK

Here is the insulation I am talking about: It is called ComfortTherm. Cost is only about $18/roll (R13- 3.5x15x32 ft). Three rolls would do all your skirting, so only about $60.

Food for thought.

Thanks for all the great photos!

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6250.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	515.2 KB
ID:	174002  
Old 12-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
We regularly get very high winds here, foam and fiberglass are out unless I have a wind barrier (straw bales), but thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1977 20' Argosy 20
Hope to roam free again soon , North Carolina
Amazing!

Wow! This is awesome.

My wife and I full-time in New England. We buy about 20 straw bales each fall and jam them around the belly of our beast. It keeps the belly a lot warmer. In a standard bale size, it is around R55 according to the internet. We use a probe style digital thermometer to monitor the temps for our pipe area inside the bale cocoon. Good Luck!

Keep us posted and stay safe!

-Andrew
Old 12-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #54
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamlineAK View Post
Yeah but then I have to work out in the cold! I SHOULD skirt it, but it is doing ok. Strawbales are actaully kinda of expensive here too, as well as a fire danger, but I know it would really help. Although, sometimes it is hot enough the cool floors are needed!
Uh, is "working out in the cold" better in February, when it gets a "bit" cooler outside?

And even if bales of straw are silly expensive, remember come February (apart from the increase in interior warmth) that they have the potential to cut your LP gas and your coal usage down drastically. In the case of the coal, that also means less work outside to get rid of the ash and clinkers, dunnit?

Just sayin'...
Old 12-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Hi all,

Really enjoying this thread. I am a newbie how wants to use our new Airstream this winter, but worried about freezing. It was winterized when we left the dealership. I am terrified to put water in it and attempt to re-winterize. After reading this thread, maybe the Airstream is not as fragile as I thought.

StreamlineAK, how is it that you don't worry about you tanks freezing and pipes bursting? I have a 2013, does it mean if my propane is on while traveling, the tanks and pipes wii not freeze?

Thanks for any input.
Freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomrider View Post
Hi all,

StreamlineAK, how is it that you don't worry about you tanks freezing and pipes bursting? I have a 2013, does it mean if my propane is on while traveling, the tanks and pipes wii not freeze?

Thanks for any input.
They would absolutely be frozen, BUT my trailer is dry right now, no liquid in the tanks or lines. I use a countertop water dispenser and wash dishes/ cook with that. In these temps, it would be difficult, but I believe if you had a water source that was winterized it would be possible. My water source (a hose) is not.

What type of temperatures do you travel in? I believe there is a lot of threads more specific to the topic.

Tags