Old 07-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Monkton , Vermont
Evan, You did a nice job! What did you use for flooring? We used Alure Ultra and sure loks like what you used. I installed it the length of the trailer not across. I thought the installation would be easier going across but the wife thought it looked better lengthwise. We went the other direction going from twins to queen. The only remaining item I need to address is dealing with a storage door that was under one of the twins from the outside now opens to open floor area.

VTSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumitater View Post
Evan,
You did a great job! The PO did a similar change to ours. What I really like is the new access to 12V and AC. I have an extension cord running from the outlet near the television (we do not have the BR TV), around the closest twin behind the night table for use of CPAP by furthest twin when 12V is needed. The AC outlet is below the mattress level of that twin which is awkward. How complicated was it to relocate those outlets above the night table?
I had the front inside Wall/Skin off to install the Window drains so it was relatively easy to run an extra 12V cable to the planned location. I actually left the AC wiring more or less where it was except to pull a little of the excess cable from around the previous exit site to create a loop near to the new location.

Here is what I had in place before I closed it back up:

I did not reroute the AC wiring just pulled enough into the forward area to create the loop.

I tied my new Inverter into this Bedroom circuit in order to have AC from the inverter running the TV or any other AC stuff from the two Bedroom plugs. (One over nightstand & the factory installed outlet near TV) The Inverter can only run this native circuit if I throw an accessory switch at the Panel. Note: The factory has the converter/battery charger tied into the Bedroom circuit. I switched this to the otherwise unused "Microwave circuit" which exits behind the gas stove...)

If you were willing to commit to cutting a hole where you want the new outlets, it is quite likely you could fish out the AC cable from its home there. You could also run a wire from the 12V block up front & keep it hidden.

Worst case scenario though you might have to take off the one front interior panel if they routed the AC wire in a different way.

-evan

Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSafari View Post
Evan, You did a nice job! What did you use for flooring? We used Alure Ultra and sure loks like what you used. I installed it the length of the trailer not across. I thought the installation would be easier going across but the wife thought it looked better lengthwise. We went the other direction going from twins to queen. The only remaining item I need to address is dealing with a storage door that was under one of the twins from the outside now opens to open floor area.
HA! you guessed right. It is the locking Allure Ultra. It is relatively heavy but since it's all vinyl I thought it would be relatively durable if water were to penetrate the floors again. (I hope never again , but better to have something water friendly.)

I opted for the side to side installation as I thought it would be easier to install with fewer end to end joints. ( I was worried that these could potentially open up if the locking mechanism failed.) So far I have not seen any joints open up so fingers crossed. I also thought that it might look less like a tunnel if the orientation was across rather than lengthwise but I'm not sure that makes any difference.

The installation was really pretty straightforward. I took all the interior cabinetry out to do the installation which made it much simpler.

-evan
Old 08-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Laguna Beach , California
Wow! You did an amazing job! We're thinking of doing the same to our 25' FB...but also hope to get bunks in there. We are about to address a leak as well, and considering installing new floor as the original is very discolored.

To what extent did you have to remove cabinetry to install the floor? We are already going to have the table, benches and sofa out, so to me it makes sense to replace the floor at the same time. What's your opinion on the job/amount of work involved?
Old 08-05-2013, 04:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Evan,

Fantastic job! I am doing the same thing so this is definitely an inspiration! Two questions: Where did you get the curved piece of wood for the base of the bed or did you lay it up and epoxy yourself. Second; Where did you get the custom fit mattresses that math the airstream curve.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker10302 View Post
Wow! You did an amazing job! We're thinking of doing the same to our 25' FB...but also hope to get bunks in there. We are about to address a leak as well, and considering installing new floor as the original is very discolored.

To what extent did you have to remove cabinetry to install the floor? We are already going to have the table, benches and sofa out, so to me it makes sense to replace the floor at the same time. What's your opinion on the job/amount of work involved?
Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

I had decided that I wanted to redo the countertops as well as the floor and bedroom beds so I had a little more motivation to remove the interior cabinetry. The bathroom and kitchen cabinets were relatively easy to remove in their respective modules. The plumbing was the most fiddly aspect of the removal IMHO.

Once the cabinetry was out it made the flooring much easier to install.

(After you clean up the incredible mess left behind by the factory people...

As you can imagine, it's a lot easier laying the floor without having to accommodate the curved cabinets and use moldings here:

Because I was also doing the exterior belly band, window drains, bedroom conversion & the cabinet countertops etc. it was a lot of work. my garage looked like this:

But if I were to replace the floor again, I would definitely remove the cabinetry leaving only the Fridge to shower modules and the pantry module in place, removing all the other cabinets. I made sure to not screw down the floor in too many places in order to allow it to float. (Securing cabinets to walls rather than the floor.) So far the whole thing has held together & the neither the floor nor the cabinets seem to be moving inappropriately or separating.

-evan
Old 08-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Evan,

Fantastic job! I am doing the same thing so this is definitely an inspiration! Two questions: Where did you get the curved piece of wood for the base of the bed or did you lay it up and epoxy yourself. Second; Where did you get the custom fit mattresses that math the airstream curve.

Thanks!
Hi,

Thanks.

The curved bed bases were salvaged from the Queen bed base I had. They worked well in their new position I think.

I used a cardboard box to cutout a pattern to contour to the curved walls. I took this to a local Foam shop to make up custom 8 inch thick foam mattresses with their covers. (They do custom marine & RV mattresses among other foam articles.) I opted for 35 inch wide mattresses which are a little wider than the AS factory specs but closer to true Twin mattress width...

-evan
Old 08-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Evan, where did you get the roll up doors, and what size are they?
This is my end of season job, so getting the list together now.
mike
Old 08-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Evan, where did you get the roll up doors, and what size are they?
This is my end of season job, so getting the list together now.
mike
They are a tambour door kit in red Oak 24 inch from here:

Tambour Door Kit - Lee Valley Tools

You might find them cheaper Stateside.

-evan
Old 08-07-2013, 12:37 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Laguna Beach , California
Evan,
Thank you so much for the great photos and all the detailed information. This is a huge help and gives us an idea of what we're in for!

Nicole
Old 08-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker10302 View Post
Evan,
Thank you so much for the great photos and all the detailed information. This is a huge help and gives us an idea of what we're in for!

Nicole
Thank you Nicole. I'm glad to think that others might find it helpful to post stuff like this... I combed this forum for ideas before I took the plunge myself.

Good luck with your project.

-evan
Old 08-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
2000 27' Safari
Asheville , North Carolina
What a professional looking job! Can I ask where you found the curved wooden end pieces for the beds? Thanks!
Suzanne
Old 08-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
I think he mentioned something about a queen bed set they had.. look higher up the list..
it is cool for sure. wish i had the time and place, (and AS) to take on such a project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzmsw View Post
What a professional looking job! Can I ask where you found the curved wooden end pieces for the beds? Thanks!
Suzanne
TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzmsw View Post
Suzanne

Thank You Suzanne.

The curved pieces & most of the visible (finished ) surfaces were simply salvaged from the original Queen bedroom components that came with the Airstream...just kind of re-configured to their new purposes. The port side bunk had some new red Oak pieces along with the tambour doors finished in acrylic clearcoat but most of the new plywood etc. is stuff you can't see.

-evan