Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2006, 02:56 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Conversion of twin beds to queen

We have twin beds in our 87 34' and would like to have them removed and replaced with a queen size bed. We would like to have the nite stand and the storage we currently have under the twins. Does anyone have any experience doing this?
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:21 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Hi,
The last two trailers I have had including the one I currently own had rear twins and I chose to go with a full size bed so it would not use up all the space in the bedroom.
I removed the original night stand and then built a frame made out of 2x4`s . The frame sits inside of the original twin frames and I do not deface the orignal bed frames at all.I use four legs the height of the twin frames and then make a frame the width of the new mattress and the inner width of the twin frames. Once the frame is made then attatch the legs and sit it inside the twin frames . I then used 1/2 in plywood and needed 3 sheets .I took one sheet and put down then measured the amount of the second sheet I needed and butted them together. The next full sheet I placed over over the area that was butted together so there won`t be any sag. Next measure the amount of material you will need to butt together with the top sheet . After some trial and error trimming due to the rounded corners of the trailer I then fastened the sheets of plywood together to the frame made of 2x4`s. After placing the new mattress on the new frame I used throw pillows to fill in the gaps between the wall and the mattress I then bought a night stand from a furniture store that had a close match of the wood color and put between the mattress and the wall on the roadside . So far this setup has worked well for me. The only draw back is crawling over the bed to make it up. On the flip side all storage and duct work under the twin frames will be intact plus additinal storage that will be under the new mattress.Hope this helps. Davis
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Davis, Maybe you could post a pic or two?
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
This whole frame is maybe 50 lbs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bed1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	30264   Click image for larger version

Name:	bed3.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	30265  

Name:	bed4.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	30266  

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:58 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Desert Hot Springs , California
Changing the AS bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
This whole frame is maybe 50 lbs
Great work! We think it is important to keep balance and the weight down. My wife developed a bad hip and can not get around the factory queen. We are in the process of changing our queen to twins.

Our wall frames at the twin curves are alum angle as you and AS did. We used kiln dried 1"x2" pine for the rest of framing along with avaliable take out AS plywood. Alum bubble insulation was attached to the lower exterior walls. The new bed platforms are 3/8" sanded plywood. The new beds are light, firm and stable with easy access for storage. The power was easy to do, we just moved the whole connected unit around to the twin on it's side.
We are still working on a nightstand thing between the beds, might be able to modify a take out cabinet.

The new view from the front room makes our 25 foot unit look 5 feet longer. Plus a great new sleep place for our dog, Walker.
John
skyvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Twin to Double Conversion

Hi Folks,
I am in the process of doing this conversion so I will illustrate my plans with a drawing.

Name:	TwinBedConversion.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	31215

The plan is to place 3/8ths plywood over the existing frames in order to provide support for the mattresses, which are turned 90 degrees.

Panel 1 supports a mattress which fits into the curved corner at top left. The other end of the mattress butts up to a headboard. The headboard is being made from the ply left over when I had pre-made sheets cut for the panels at my local DIY store.

Panels 2 and 3, which are hinged together and hinged to panel 1, support a mattress. They are cut and hinged so as to allow access to the storage and tambours below. When access to the storage is required you simply fold one mattress onto the other. Then lifting panel 3 up you fold it over onto the top mattress - the 12" panel allows for the thickness of 2 mattresses. I have trimmed panels 2 & 3 a little smaller to stop them catching the curtains when I fold them up. I also cut the panel tops to the storage area 2" back from the end of panel 1 to allow access to the storage area.

If you and your partner like to wrestle in bed I would recommend some additional support in the span between the twin bed frames. I plan to make two supports which are no more than a custom length leg with a sheet of that plywood again about 6-8" square screwed to the top to sit under panel 1 and equally under panels 2 & 3. They don't have to be fitted to the panels, they can free stand for easy removal.

This design requires a headboard to be shaped, trimmed and upholstered to fit the tapered space at the bottom of the illustration.

I have 4 sheets cut to 62"(the width of the bed) by 7.5". From these I will make a box section trimmed, padded and upholstered to fit into the curved corner. I have found a template for this: It is the removable armrest from the front Goucho sofa. I will make a box section which will be covered with 2" thick foam and then covered with some silk I got off eBay.

If you trim the headboard right you can make the whole design reversible so that you don't have to argue who sleeps on which side of the bed and who gets out first. I am having cushions made to sit on the low seats of the remaining twin bed frames. I will use the same silk to recover the material trim bands which follow the line of the twin beds, but I will have the space behind the position of the nightstand filled in to match.

The nightstand, by the way, has been put in the wardrobe as storage for my socks etc. Lol!

If you are very keen on a nightstand you could build a very low unit which would sit where either cushion goes. Personally, I purchased a small edged tray which will support the obligatory cups of tea or cocoa at bedtime. It will also support a large Jack Daniels if you don't necessarily go to bed to sleep! Lol!

The whole thing is very cheap to build and light: probably about 20lbs of wood, foam etc.

Hope you like it!

Marc