Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
30' mods, jump in!

Like many on this forum, we are making modifications to our Airstream to tailor it to our needs. We did the same thing on our last 3, so why stop now! Although we have a Flying Cloud, the floor plan spans several years and models so I'm hoping many previously posted modifications will be added to this string over time. Please feel free to jump in.

We have a pretty good list of mods that we will be sharing over the coming weeks as we complete them. I will start with two now as they do not require pictures. The first thing we did was balance the airflow in the air conditioning duct system. We had a tornado in the bedroom and very limited flow at the front of the trailer. The FC does not have adjustable vents so one must improvise. I took stiff packing foam and cut several circles the size of the vents. I completely blocked off three vents in the bedroom and one in the bathroom by inserting the foam behind the vents. I then cut appropriate sized holes in the foam in the remaining two vents (bedroom and bathroom) to allow airflow. Other vents were adjusted as needed. I now have even airflow throughout the trailer whether one or both units are running. Much more comfortable. I also did some nominal re-taping of insulation in the return vents.

My second project was to tame the 50 amp power cord. What a beast, stiff and heavy. I can only imagine what it will be like when its cold. Anyway, I cut the cord into 20' and 15' lengths with the 20' being the one that hooks to the trailer. I bought Camco 50 amp male and female fittings to finish the job. Now I don't feel like I have to wrestle the cord. And a word on the Camco fittings. I doubt they will last. They are made of hard plastic and will likely break after being dropped a few times. And, they aren't exactly weatherproof so some silicone is their future.

Okay, these are my initial contributions to this thread with many more to come. Please add yours as I need ideas!
Old 07-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Today was bathroom day. None of the mods are original to us but they make things better. We previously ordered another matching towel bar and towel ring. The bar is mounted immediately to the left of the existing bar on the perpendicular wall. The ring is mounted immediately right of where it was, also on the perpendicular wall. The rings are clearly visible in the picture, the bar, not so much. We also installed a 20X30 mirror and kept the folding mirror as shown. I made a quick remove bracket to hold it in place when we are on the move. The boss also wanted a new faucet as the one from AS did not reach far enough into the sink, making hand washing more difficult. As you can see in the picture, we also reversed the door swing so it is not hinged on the right. These were easy mods and makes the bathroom more to our liking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC bath towel bars.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	266324   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC mirror and hand towel rings.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	266325  

Old 07-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Sorry folks, the pics posted sideways. I will see if I can correct.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We don't have a 30 but our 25 RB has the exact same bath template. We also moved the towel ring, added a larger mirror, moved the shaving mirror travel latch to the other side, and turned the door upside down to swing open to the bedroom rather than the living room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2523.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	266326  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
I should have proofed my post as it should read the door is "now" hinged on the right. To get a pic to appear correctly, open it and then double click. Magically it will appear as taken.

Doug, I did not know the 25 had the same bath layout. I'm not sure if you previously posted your bath changes but I definitely got the idea from someone. So, I say thanks to you and any others. Maybe I should re-name this thread
because I don't want to miss any useful mods.