Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2006, 02:03 PM   #1
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Hypothetical ??? Jump start TV from AS...

Greetings.

Let's say you are out camping someplace in the middle of nowhere, you go to start your tow vehicle and find you have a dead battery.

If you had long enough jumper cables, or your vehicle happened to be positioned right could you:

A) Get a quick jump from the coach batteries on the AS or

2) Same as above, but if not, could you have a generator running power into the coach, and THEN jump the tow vehicle from the AS battery(s)?

Would either or both of these situations pose significant harm to either the AS or TV?

I vaguely remember this question came up somewhere else, so sorry if this is a repeat.

Jonathan
Old 02-27-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
You could use jumper cables to the coach battery, should not cause any problems. Not sure what running a generator to power the coach would do for you. You could always disconnect the battery from the coach, to be on the safe side and just jump from a bare battery.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
or depending on how your vehicle is wired, just plug in the umbilical, and the trailer's battery will just "mate" with your tv's electrical system.

since the charge line on my truck is not switched, (i.e. "12v/40amps all the time), this would work, and if I leave it plugged into the trailer overnight, with the trailer connected to shore power, the univolt will charge my truck's battery.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
or depending on how your vehicle is wired, just plug in the umbilical, and the trailer's battery will just "mate" with your tv's electrical system.

since the charge line on my truck is not switched, (i.e. "12v/40amps all the time), this would work, and if I leave it plugged into the trailer overnight, with the trailer connected to shore power, the univolt will charge my truck's battery.
I have done exactly that with my old SOB and tow vehicle many years ago. It took about three hours to charge the battery enough to start the car, but it worked.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Just today I jum started my motorhome buy jumping from the coach batteries to the chassis battery, twice.

I don't see any difference in the TV to coach case except for the length of cables needed.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
_

. , .
hi crazylev and others

well if you have the genset available.......honda makes a 15$ set of cables that connect to the generator and will charge/jump the t.v. battery.

it would be easier to carry the genset up to the t.v. battery, than any of the trailer/battery options...

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote