Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2017, 07:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Long Water Hose

I want to be able to fill my water tank after winterizing at the storage facility where we keep our Airstream. I like to have the fresh water tank partially full and water heater tank full before we head out on a trip so we can use the bathroom in route. The problem is the closest water source is about 275 feet from my Airstream. I am looking for a long hose that would be manageable, on some type of reel, for this use. The best option might be 100 foot collapsible hoses, but the last four collapsible hoses I have bought have burst in short order. Maybe someone knows of a brand that would work. I thought about a flat hose, but I have only found them in 50 foot lengths and they are pricy, so six of them would be expensive. 1/2 inch, light duty hoses in 100 foot lengths might be ok, since I will only be using it a couple of times a year. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Might consider a funnel and jugs of water to get enough in your tank to flush your toilet until your first overnght stop, then fill up there.

Or, fill on your way out of the storage facility...

Maggie
Old 12-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Might consider a funnel and jugs of water to get enough in your tank to flush your toilet until your first overnght stop, then fill up there.

Or, fill on your way out of the storage facility...

Maggie
Thanks for the suggestions, I could do the jugs of water, if I can't come up with a good hose option. Unfortunately, the location of the water spigot at this storage facility is not any closer on the way out of the facility. Also, I would prefer to have this done a day or so ahead of leaving on a trip to eliminate one more thing to do on the day of the trip.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A standard reel for garden hose would do the trick...

I have used one of the collapsible hoses just for filling my freshwater tank for several years...hanging it to dry after each use... as it is so portable in my small space, and a number of those connected together would be less weight to deal with, but it’s still a heckuva lot of length you are wanting.

It depends on how much effort you want to put into this to leave with a full tank of fresh water.

Maggie
Old 12-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I would check with a plumbing supply house, and consider using food-grade potable water flexible braided vinyl tubing, like the ones used to hook up faucets under kitchen and bath counters. This material is available in a variety of internal diameters, and is probably sold wholesale on large spools/rolls IMO.

If you have the time to wait, while the tank fills, even a 3/8" ID hose would work, but the material is likely also available in 1/2" ID.

You could also get an electrican's wire spool stand, to pay out the hose and store it. Drying it out might be a challenge, however.

Braided vinyl 1/2" ID 10' only:

https://www.amazon.com/LDR-516-B1210...9ENKXESZJFF897

This should be available in longer rolls.

Dispenser like this, but taller for one spool of 1/2" tubing:

https://www.amazon.com/Wirespooler-W...wire+dispenser

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
I would have to lean towards the cheap hoses and a reel. I've had zero luck with the collapsible hoses. Have purchased two of them. First one burst as soon as I hooked it up as my city water hookup hose (portable pressure regulator was on spigot). Second one made it through the first night at Gulf State Park then the beach mice found it and liked it. They chewed multiple holes in the hose that each had a 5 foot stream of water shooting up. Woke up thinking it was raining but the sun was out!?!

Another option would be a food grade (blue in color) 55 gallon barrel. Fill it in the back of your truck and siphon it from the barrel to your tank outlet. It would add a step or two but is probably cheaper than buying hoses and a reel. My trailer doubles as a hunting cabin at a primitive camp site. We winterize every time we leave. My freshwater tank is only 30 gallons so we have two 15 gallon barrels that we transport to hunting camp for our water needs.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have one of these for dry camping:

http://www.newworldmfg.com/y2k.htm

Folds small works well.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:10 AM   #8
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
You can get a hose cart that holds 300 feet of hose. They are close to 100 bucks without any hose. By the time you load it with 300 feet of hose, I bet it will be close to 100 pounds. It may be awkward to transport, but will do the job
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #9
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
The food grade barrel is a good suggestion, except I wouldn't siphon. I would put a spigot on the bottom that I could use to connect a hose.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
we like the Zero-G hose. Made in USA. Camping World is having a sale on these.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Great suggestions. Thanks to all.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
I like the food grade barrel suggestion, too. You might also consider a bladder-type vessel, which I’ve found at farm and fleet stores. There’s a somewhat pricey 30-gallon water bladder on Amazon (use that as your search term). From the height of a truck bed, gravity (and patience) should do most of the transfer work for you. That way, you can fill the bladder at home, transfer to the trailer, fold it up when you’re done, then dry it out when you get to your site. Lighter and less hassle than a couple hundred feet of hose, too, and probably not any more expensive.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
This might work. Gets really good reviews. Only comes in 50 foot length, so it will take 5 of them, but I won't need a reel and I can use them camping and around the house, etc. I will try one before going with the whole 5.

https://www.amazon.com/Bond-Aeroflex...rdeprodurev-20
Old 12-22-2017, 02:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
This might work. Gets really good reviews. Only comes in 50 foot length, so it will take 5 of them, but I won't need a reel and I can use them camping and around the house, etc. I will try one before going with the whole 5.
. . .
It is not described as "food grade" or "for potable water," so you will probably end up with weird tasting water IMO. Even worse, the water may have plastic/chemical contaminants in it. If you don't drink or cook with your water, may be OK, but it may still smell when it comes out of a tap IMO.

Someone suggested filling up at a campground etc. when you first hit the road, and this solution is looking pretty favorable IMO, especially if you use a good quality inline filter [and pressure regulator] in your potable water hose, purchased new this year and flushed with good clean water.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40043-T...v+water+filter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I fulltime, and convenience vs. Weight is always a tough tradeoff. Plus my campground in Virginia is so close to the ocean that over the years the water has become more and more brackish. To me jerry cans are the best solution. Pick up 10 gallons of water in 2 cans wherever the quality is good and add it to the tank when needed. Makes refilling easy to do on the fly. Some come with a carrying strap, and of 5 gallons is a bit too heavy, fill only part way.

Probably shouldn't mention this, but carrying a short hose with a quick connect attachment can be handy to get water from a commercial location. I always ask, and offer to pay of course.

Some Walmarts and other stores sell water in 4 or 5 gallon jugs. You can pay a deposit on one jug, then trade in an empty one for a full one until your tank is full, then turn in the jug for a refund when you are done. Bit of a pain unless you have a funnel and a table or ladder to rest the jug on.

To me, handling the big hose even with a reel would be a PITA.

PAULA
Old 12-22-2017, 05:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I agree with Paula. We use the 5 gallon jerrycans when we camp, and use to refill fresh water when we are at national parks with no hookups.

Also for using the facilities when traveling, just get a gallon of bottle water and a few 16 oz bottles. Use the gallon to flush, and the smaller bottles to wash your hands into the bathroom sink. So easy. We do this often since our storage facility doesn't have water.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:47 AM   #17
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Water Bladder - 39 gallons

I use a collapsible potable water bladder (27 1/2" Width x 55 1/16" Length) for bringing fresh water to the trailer. It takes up less space collapsed and empty than one plastic 5 gallon 'jerry' can and also weighs much less so you can take it with you while travelling. When filling it, be sure and locate it higher than the fill connection on your trailer for gravity filling or you will need a 12 volt pump to transfer the water. It would likely take less time filling your fresh water tank this way than having to deal with 300 feet of hose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	296899_LRG.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	301251

This Plastimo unit from a marine supply store will require you to make some valve fittings to transfer the water, but the price at around $160 is reasonable.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I carried 100' of hose this summer and used all of it several times to refill in no water hookup campsites. Having tried reels and flat hoses I now use just regular white water hose in 50 or 75' sections. You are not looking to carry most of the hose but will leave it in the storage area, correct? For me it would be easier to deal with the regular hose without reels or other complications. And a lot cheaper.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I carried 100' of hose this summer and used all of it several times to refill in no water hookup campsites. Having tried reels and flat hoses I now use just regular white water hose in 50 or 75' sections. You are not looking to carry most of the hose but will leave it in the storage area, correct?
Yes, I can leave it in the storage area. Where have you found best pricing on regular white hoses in 50' or 75'?
Old 12-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Never paid much attention to the pricing. I have just pretty much picked up a hose here and there as I needed them. Probably have 200 feet or so of the white hoses. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon so I would check there for pricing. Have bought several from Ace but because of avaliability, not price. Something to watch, I have tossed hoses because they kinked and did not work well. If you are going that far you need hoses that handle well. And doing it in sections makes getting it laid out easier.

I am actually in the fill it up on the road camp for your situation. But doing it with the long hose is not a terribly difficult or expensive thing to do.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote