Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2003, 06:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Vent pipe leak - How?

Thanks to the postings of this forum, I understand the Drain Wast Vents (DWVs) on the top of my Airstream trailer will leak after a cerrtain time. I just don't immediately understand how.

The DWVs on my Overlander are wrapped in a plastic shroud. As long as the shroud is sealed to the body, and the shroud is unbroken (it is molded to drain rain water into the pipe) I don't see why the gasket or seal between the pipe and the trailer would ever see water to seal against. Could someone gently point out what I am missing?

I did notice that Inland RV only lists a stainless replacement vent cover for sale. Is my existing plastic cover prone to hard-to-detect leaks?

Thanks!
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 06:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
tcwilliams

Trust the hundreds of owners that felt as you do, that those covers can't leak.

NOT SO.

Their leaks stopped when they replaced the plastic vent pipe covers with the polished metal covers that Airstream has used for over 30 years. A gasket and vulkem sealer is also used.

Your plastic stove exhaust cover and plastic refrigerator vent covers will also leak.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 07:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
tc,
The latch on my rear wardrobe cabinet broke so I hooked a bungie cord to a towel hook on the outside of the door, ran the cord over the door and looped it around the pvc vent pipe which leads to the vent cover Andy mentioned. I found in a short time that it pulled the pipe away from one side of the gasket and a leak started. I realized my error, repaired the latch and lucky for me the vent gasket took its shape back. It must have been repaired at some time or otherwise it would have surely torn. Do a search and somewhere on the forum there are pictures of the repair. That sure helped me understand the mistake I made.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 08:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Here's how

When I took the interior skin out, I discovered that the vent pipe made a 90° turn inside the wall. The elbow was disconnected, either due to poor assembly at the factory, or it jiggled loose.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 04:37 AM   #5
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
One of mine leaked due to the rubber seal between the pipe, vent cover and skin of the motorhome had cracks where it slid over the vent pipe. Ace Hardware had flat rubber gasket material in their plumbing department that was large enough for a replacement. They had two thicknesses in the package, I used the thicker one. I cut a hole just large enough to fit securely around the vent pipe, then replaced the cover and caulked to assure no leaks. I did learn not to try to precut the gasket to fit the metal cover and had to redo it. I cut the rubber gasket material that stuck out past the metal cover after I had securely fastend everything down then caulked. I changed the other side just as a precautionary measure.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 04:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Andy
One of my plastic vent covers lasted less than a year and AS warranty replaced it with another plastic cover. How long should I go with the plastic ones before failure may appear. I think I have already answered my question, however do you believe it would be best to just replace both of them now instead of waiting for the inevitable?
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 09:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Tinsel Loaf

I was not aware that Airstream is using plastic vent pipe covers on the newer coaches.

If you plan on keeping the trailer, I would suggest that you use an upgraded vent pipe cover with the polished metal covers.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 22' International CCD
fLUSHING , New York
shove vent leaking

Hi Bob, maybe you can help me. My stove vent may be leaking every time it rains i see drops of water on the inside of my AS on the wall I think its coming from my vent. Is this common. I put my hand inside the vent and there is water . I dont see were the water would come in from. The vent was closed. thank you richard
DaCosta is offline   Reply With Quote