Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2006, 02:54 AM   #21
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW
Hi, I've got a '79 Trade Wind with Vista View bubbles. Am I going to be able to fix them like Balrgn or are they different on my model. They look like double pane (pain) to me.
Thanks, Wendy
Wendy,
You have the "sealed" double pane Vista Views. You will have to break the inner panes out to clear them up. It is not for the faint of heart, but IMHO it is worth it to have nice clear Vista Views. I am 6'-3" tall and they are about the only window I can see out of when I am standing up

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Fixing Foggy Fenestration: Update

Still struggling with a way to clean up the dual "pain" windows on my '76 Sovereign, with very little help from you guys I might add (huff).

I decided to take a " break the inner pane" approach.

Step 1. Remove window from Airstream by removing handles on inside so window opener levers could pass completely through. Removed screw attaching scissor lever to window unit. Tilted window upward past the 90 degree point and lifted it free of hinge moulding.

Step 2. On the work table,scored the inside pane with glass cutter

Step 3. Covered inside pane with clear laminating film.

Step 4. Smacked the scored line with welders chipping hammer.

Step 5. Smacked it again harder.

Step 6. Really smacked it very, very hard.

Step 7. Put down the hammer and stepped away from the work table, realizing that if I hit it any harder, I would go through both panes, and then we would have a drenching thunderstorm even though New Mexico is in the middle of a 50 year drought and it hasn't rained for more than six months.

Step 8. Reinstalled the window unit on the Airstream.

Your thoughts?
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:23 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
You may need to use a sharp center punch and hammer . I suspect that the inner pane is also tempered glass . Try right next to the frame in a corner , not in the middle , it does take a firm hit . The inner pane is not labeled tempered but if it shatters into tiny pieces it is. This never made sese to me , the inside is where you want the protection from shattered glass . Good luck
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:30 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
For those of you that have the double pane vista view and broken out the inner pane . Did the glass break into large pieces or into very small pieces ? Thanks
Old 05-27-2006, 05:53 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Can't wait to see where this ends up! I was tickled pink to find that my "great find" 31' Sovereign had double paine windows, but overlooked small defects like the bubbled UV film in the excitement of getting it at a reasonable price. There's just got to be a way to get these things apart without breaking the glass, one has to believe...despite the obvious from many who have tried.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:17 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
You may need to use a sharp center punch and hammer . I suspect that the inner pane is also tempered glass . Try right next to the frame in a corner , not in the middle , it does take a firm hit . The inner pane is not labeled tempered but if it shatters into tiny pieces it is. This never made sese to me , the inside is where you want the protection from shattered glass . Good luck
Thanks, Ticki2. Yes, the inside pane is tempered glass. Does this suggest a better way to execute controlled destruction of the inside pane while leaving the outside pane intact?

How about drilling with a regular drilll bit? I once cracked a Jeep windshield accidentally when drilling a hole in the windshield frame, and I caught the edge of the glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium.
Can't wait to see where this ends up! I was tickled pink to find that my "great find" 31' Sovereign had double paine windows, but overlooked small defects like the bubbled UV film in the excitement of getting it at a reasonable price. There's just got to be a way to get these things apart without breaking the glass, one has to believe...despite the obvious from many who have tried.
Zep, Hurry up and find a better way. This isn't a split sash like we see in the Airstreams of the early 70's. It appears that the aluminum sash molding was "wrapped" around the dual panes during manufacture. The seam where the two ends meet is held closed by the rivets holding the hinge across the top of the window assembly.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:02 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
[quote=klevan]Thanks, Ticki2. Yes, the inside pane is tempered glass. Does this suggest a better way to execute controlled destruction of the inside pane while leaving the outside pane intact?

How about drilling with a regular drilll bit? I once cracked a Jeep windshield accidentally when drilling a hole in the windshield frame, and I caught the edge of the glass.

I had two reasons for asking . 1. I found it a lot easier and cleaner to work on the out side than the inside . When I did mine it was long before I found this forum , I thought I was very clever at the time . If they are both tempered it doesn't matter which one you break . A sharp punch on an edge next to the frame will break it into many small pieces , I found this easier to control than a drill which would tend to hit the other pane as it went through . I was also suprised at how hard it had to be hit , gets your heart pounding. 2. As I mentioned , I did this without the help of this forum and it never occured to me that the inner pane would not be tempered . So for years I have been hoping I didn't make a mistake , your observation has eased my mind some . Good luck
Old 05-27-2006, 11:13 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
When I did mine it was long before I found this forum , I thought I was very clever at the time . If they are both tempered it doesn't matter which one you break . A sharp punch on an edge next to the frame will break it into many small pieces , I found this easier to control than a drill which would tend to hit the other pane as it went through . I was also suprised at how hard it had to be hit , gets your heart pounding. 2. As I mentioned , I did this without the help of this forum and it never occured to me that the inner pane would not be tempered . So for years I have been hoping I didn't make a mistake , your observation has eased my mind some . Good luck
Let me get this straight, Ticki2. You've actually done this with a successful outcome? How many windows? How did you keep the remaining pane in place after you removed one? Did you remove the window unit and do the sharp bunch on a workbench, or did you leave the window unit in the trailer? Got a picture of the finished product?
Thanks!
Old 05-27-2006, 11:51 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Klevan , yes I've done all 4 vistaviews . They were all done with the frames in place . The inner pane will stay in the frame because you cannot get it out without breaking. After breaking and removing the out glass you need to clean and remove all the old sticky stuff and glass , the inner glass will then move in and out in the channel frame . After everything is cleaned out I wiped it all down with alcohol. The first time I sealed them with wiindow putty tape , then pushed it to the outside and used rubber tubing in the channel to hold it there . That system didn't work very well , the round tubing would work it's way out of the channel and didn't hold the glass tight enough . The second time I use Lexel clear caulking between the glass and the outer frame . Then I found some high density foam ( 3/16 x 9/16 ) and wedged that between the inner channel and the glass . Four years and no leaks . I don't have any progress pictures , I'll post one of the finished job.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:00 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I'm Talking Windows not Vista Views

Thanks Tiki2, but I'm talking about the six, dual pane, top hinge-mounted, windows. They are the ones that are driving me nuts. Some previous owner already removed the inner pane of the Vista Views for me.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:15 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Here are an inside and ouside shot , hope it helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0107.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	21668   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0108.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	21669  

Old 05-27-2006, 12:23 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Sorry can't be much help with those , the only thermopane on mine was the vistaview . The factory seemed to be very random with there window types during this period ,some double , some single and then some single with with plastic double . My door window looks like yours , maybe we'll find a solution yet.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:52 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Then I found some high density foam ( 3/16 x 9/16 ) and wedged that between the inner channel and the glass . Four years and no leaks . I don't have any progress pictures , I'll post one of the finished job.
I like the look of the inside trim between Vista View and inside wall. Can you tell me more about the 3/16 X 9/16 high density foam you used?
Old 05-27-2006, 01:17 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
I like the look of the inside trim between Vista View and inside wall. Can you tell me more about the 3/16 X 9/16 high density foam you used?
It took a while to find the right size , 1/2" is not quit wide enough to fit tight . What I found came in a roll like weatherstripping and IIRC it was at Autozone , it was fairly firm .
Old 05-27-2006, 03:00 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Klevan , While puttsing around today on the AS I actually found the bag with the weather stripping , I was slightly off .The actual size is 5/16 x3/4 made by Metro Moulded Parts . They make repro WS for many autos , the part no. is MW1634. www.metrommp.com , Good luck
Old 05-27-2006, 03:06 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks. Great website!
Old 05-27-2006, 07:14 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Some years ago Southwest urban areas with overt wealth had to add spark plugs to burglars' tool list, as stopped cars at traffic signals were suffering window smash-and-grab of womens purses or computer cases etc. off passenger seats!

The steel core that is threaded to accept the aluminum ignition wire connector knob gets sharpened and swung straight-armed full force into the auto passenger window to shatter it. If you want to shatter safety glass use a hardened masonry nail with a sharp conical point dressed onto the end w/ a sharp hammer strike - or a sparkplug...
-
Old 05-27-2006, 07:51 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks, Wabbit.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:07 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I found the easiest way to safely break tempered glass is to use a tool called an "automatic center punch" Made by General # CP-79. Put the point of this tool up against the tempered glass, push the handle toward the glass, click, the window instantly shatters. Done deal, two seconds. Note: please wear safety glasses.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:29 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, I found the easiest way to safely break tempered glass is to use a tool called an "automatic center punch" Made by General # CP-79. Put the point of this tool up against the tempered glass, push the handle toward the glass, click, the window instantly shatters. Done deal, two seconds. Note: please wear safety glasses.

Bob
Thanks, Bob. Have you by any chance applied this process to the project at hand? If so, could you provide any other lessons learned and/or observations about the outcome, especially how you held the remaining single pane in place after you shattered and removed its mate?