Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2002, 12:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Joan D'Andrea
Fixing things

I am new to the Forum and really enjoy it. There is a population of zero people I know who have an Airstream. The fellow who sold it to me says I should learn to do my own work if at all possible. Huuuummmm. How does one go about learning to fix things like hotwater heaters and furnaces and refrigerators and leaking toilets and leaking holding tanks and things like that? I understand that the Airstream I purchased has a plethora of manuals and service records and so forth. Does the manual actually tell you what to do if the item breaks down? If not, then what boks and materials would be good to collect to help out along the way. I have one, an RV manual, but I noticed right off that many Fix-It-Yourself Manuals are written on the premise that you know what the names of the parts are and have had some experience with the item before. I DON'T. I also don't have the $$$$ to pay a service person and am willing to learn. Is there a book out there like The Complete Idiot's Guide to Fixing all the Things in YOur Airstream that go wrong written for the inexperienced?
Old 09-19-2002, 01:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
If the manuals are service manuals they should at least have a breakdown for parts. This should help in disassembly. Some manufacturers are better at others in what they include, you will have to go through the manuals and see if they are helpful to you.

This site is the best around for Airstream repair and restoration. Some of your questions may have been answered, there is a search button in the upper right. Others you may have to ask, post away.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 01:04 PM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Smile It's kinda like fishing, Joan

Learning how to repair and restore Airstreams requires a lot of patience and persistence.

Quote:
Is there a book out there like The Complete Idiot's Guide to Fixing all the Things in YOur Airstream that go wrong written for the inexperienced?
If anyone decides to write one, I'll be one of the first to buy it.
In the meantime I'll just keep posting my questions here when I'm stumped. What a great place!
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 01:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
10 months ago, we "knew absolutely nothing" about any of the bits-&-pieces-that-are-held-together-by-a-bunch-of-rivets that we have since, affectionately named Maxwell! We had never even set foot inside an Airstream before!

The one thing we did, that has helped ALOT is find some other folks that have Airstreams. Look up on www.wbcci.org website to find out who else is in your area. We actually found the WBCCI folks before we had our Airstream...what better way to find out about them than to hang out with folks who have them!

Most folks, especially those with the older vintage trailers are more than willing to show you the ropes!

My other advice is, take one "mini-project" at a time so you don't get overwhelmed....use the resources you do have (like this forum & the internet), take lots of pictures and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Good luck, hopefully we will be able to help you with your progress...even if sometimes it's just a "yup, I've tried that too"

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 02:56 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Joan, there is a repair manual authored by Bob Livingston that really explains how all the systems in an RV work and how to repair the popular brands of appliances. The title is 'RV Repair and Maintenance Manual' (Fourth Edition). Hope this helps.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 03:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Bob Livingston's book is an excellent recomendation. I keep one on the ol' bookshelf.

ISBN: 0934798702
Updated to the 4th edition February 2002

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 04:49 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Joan D'Andrea
Fixing Things

Thanks to everyone who wrote back to my queery regarding HOW TO. I will indeed post as things come up. Right now I have an arm on an awning that is bent and needs replacing. I will get the name of the brand and get back to you at the end of the month. Our Maiden Voyage is about to start and I feel it will be a just the begining of my education into HOW TO>>>>> for the Airstream. Oh well, I always did say that education was one of the best things in life.