Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2006, 07:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Sacramento , California
Adding windows

My wife and I are looking to purchase an airstream and have been looking at both new and used models. We really love the new 25FB with front and back panoramic windows and were wondering if an older airstream could be retrofitted with those windows. Is that possible or does it present so structural issues?

Thanks
kramynot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:04 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I think the shape of old Airstreams is very different from the shape of the new ones, and the new windows wouldn't fit.

However, vintage Argosys has the same windows, so if you really wanted a crazy project you could get two argosys and put the front end of one onto the rear of the other, giving your the big windows front and rear. Of course then you'd need to design a new layout, since most vintage units are rear bath, and there's not much point in a panoramic window in the potty It would be a very cool project if someone could pull it off.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy with Front and Rear Deep-Wrap Wings

Greetings kramynot2000!

Welcome to the Forums!

Stefrobrts is correct, the deep-wrap wing windows (panoramics) were pioneered in the Argosy coaches as were their use in both front and rear. Argosy 28 and larger coaches with rear bedrooms were equipped with the front and rear deep-wrap windows. I don't have my literature handy, but I believe that the first year for the front and rear feature was either 1976 or 1977.

I suspect that retrofitting an existing coach with this feature could pose problems with structure; but the expense would be considerable as well as those deep-wrap wing windows are quite expensive just for the parts. In addition, making such a modification leak-free could be something of a challenge as well.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
All six of my wing windows leak leak leak leak leak leak leak...

I like to plan my camping so that if I want to see outside, I can sit/play outside.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:22 AM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
There were some Airstreams that had them at both ends (I have seen a Sovereign that had wrap windows at both ends recently). It was an option on the rear bedroom models. They are hard to find, but you can if you look hard enough. You might find the Argosy easier even though I have never seen even the exterior photo of one. I have only seen the interior photo of one. If you like motorhomes, rear bedroom Airstream Classic motor homes usually had wrap windows in the rear.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wrap Around Windows

I have a 2005 22ft CCD with wrap around windows by the bed. Then this year I bought a 2006 25ft Safari FB SE with wrap around windows in the back, but didn't have the front wrap arounds.

My two cents.

The wretched FRONT wrap arounds have a 3 piece rock guard in smoke plexi. You need it, but the way they installed it, you can only raise the guard for the middle window when camped. You only open the sides to clean the windows, so spectacular panoramic views.... not.

Now for a "don't go there moment" Your bed is REALLY close to the windows - imagine sleeping in the nude with the guards off - can you say "pressed ham under glass Moon? Ugh!

I find I get plenty of light and ventilation with the three windows in my current bedroom, but I don't like having the vent right over the bed because I get direct glare if I sleep beyond 7 AM. I got one of those fuzzy vent cover things, but it still gets really light really early even with the curtains and blinds closed. The front view out of your trailer is often your tow vehicle, or the moho across from you, while back views tend to be better.

Unless you boondock, you'll likely leave the curtains on the wrap around closed most of the time. They LOOK cool, but one is enough in my view!

Paula Ford

The original curtains made by You can
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:40 AM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
and there's not much point in a panoramic window in the potty .

Depends on the view.....

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:07 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
But generally you don't spend a lot of time back there, unless you've just had a bad pot luck experience

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Talking Not to encourage reckless spending but,

Many folks shy away from buying new because of the cost, but buying used is usually a cash proposition while you can get really decent financing on a new unit. AND with the 2007's out a new 2006 could be had at an even better discount than normally.

If you look at the total cost for financing a unit for 15 years it's godawful! However if you look at spending $5,000 to buy a used one, then another $3,000 - $5,000 to get it roadworthy, and another $6,000 to get it "better than new".... and it takes you three years to reach that point.... maybe NEW and financed isn't so unreasonable.

I was able to pay cash for my first new one, but got a loan "until I sell the old one" for my second one. Since I am also full-timing, I'm not sweating the payments at all.

Don't get me wrong, you shouldn't take on excess debt if you don't need to, but if you've already got money saved to buy a used unit, it's a good down payment and if you can afford that extra $10-$12K in repairs perhaps you can pay off the loan much earlier. At any rate you could take a second job for pay rather than work in your barn or driveway restoring an A/S without pay!

Of course, you'd be also be camping tomorrow instead of weeks, months or years from now.

There are minor things wrong with the new ones, so there are still opportunities to "doodle" but you don't have to replace axles or rotted floors.

My projects to date on the FB SE

Put a velcro strip (prickly) across the back of the rack under the medicine cabinet. Stuck small pieces of fuzzy velcro to all my cosmetics, etc. so everything stands up on end and stays in place. I no longer have to feel around for various tubes and bottles and pull out 3 items to find what I'm looking for.

The back room divider curtain is right next to the drawers in the bedroom - and the strap that holds it closed wraps all around it - so the divider gets snagged everytime the drawers are opened. I removed the strap and replaced the snaps. One on the side of the curtain, and the other on the back wall of the bathroom. I then shortened the strap to fit the new snap locations and inserted the new snap tops. (Oh, jut a tiny nitpick... all of the doorhandle pulls are brushed stainless steel, but airstream had used brass snaps on the divider. I replaced with chrome snaps that match the hardware better.)

Replaced a few improperly installed pop rivets on the interior.

Next projects
  • Convert Dinette Table to freestanding height adjustable table.
  • Make better curtains for the back wrap around window.
  • Line all compartment of the underbed storage with either cedar or vinyl, make canvas totes to fit each bin, then toss out plastic storage bins. Should gain 10% to 20% more useful space and have handles to ease lifting stuff out.
  • make two slide out shelves for shoes under bed where there is currently a hinged side access to underbed storage.
  • Replace mattress - try an inflatable mattress with a topper? Enough comfort and support? If not, use lightweight foam, but make mattress square so it can be flipped, then make a storage caddy at the headboard (similar to one in 22ft CCD). Keep spare fire extinguisher, books, Kleenex, etc. there.
  • install slide out trays under the street side dinette bench and make a better latch for the file drawer under the roadside bench. Make use of wasted space behind file drawer somehow.
  • install a lazy susan in the kitchen cabinet
  • divide top kitchen drawer into two shallow drawers for silverware and knife storage.
  • cut back shelf in hall wardrobe 1.5 inches so that inside of door can be used to hang broom, awning tool and stabilizer crank.
  • find a good place to store sewing machine and serger.
  • replace knobs on cabinet next to toilet with flush mounted finger hole inserts so that cabinet will open farther - Slide doors open barely wide enough to get a roll of TP in and out.
See, no lack of hobby work time here. Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:48 PM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
... if you look at spending $5,000 to buy a used one, then another $3,000 - $5,000 to get it roadworthy, and another $6,000 to get it "better than new".... and it takes you three years to reach that point.... maybe NEW and financed isn't so unreasonable.
I agree 100%!!!! I have two left hands and they're both all thumbs! That's why we decided two years ago to go with a new unit. I didn't want an appliance or A/C unit or plumbing fixture breaking everytime we took a vacation and ruining the trip.

Yes, $50+K is a lot, but we started using ours the weekend we picked her up at from the dealer and I know that everything works and will continue to work for some time to come and if it doesn't, I have a two year bumper to bumper warranty plus individual manufacturer's warranties to back them up.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:36 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy 28/30 with Front & Rear Deep-Wrap Windows

Greetings Minnie's Mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
There were some Airstreams that had them at both ends (I have seen a Sovereign that had wrap windows at both ends recently). It was an option on the rear bedroom models. They are hard to find, but you can if you look hard enough. You might find the Argosy easier even though I have never seen even the exterior photo of one. I have only seen the interior photo of one. If you like motorhomes, rear bedroom Airstream Classic motor homes usually had wrap windows in the rear.
The photos of the Argosy trailers with the Front & Rear Deep-Wrap Windows are relatively unusual as are the trailers. The rear bedroom floorplan was the only one offered with this feature during the last three years of the first generation of Argosy trailer production, and it seemingly was somewhat less common than the more familiar rear bathroom models. The photo attached to this post was scanned from the sales literature that I have in my collection.

R. J. Dial has several 1977 through 1979 Argosy 28/30 trailers pictured on his site, but only one is the rear bedroom model. The photos of this coach with its Front & Rear Deep-Wrap windows:

http://www.vintageairstream.com/Arch...y28/index.html

I have been to numerous International, Unit and Regional functions and have only actually seen one of the Argosy 28/30 coaches with the Front & Rear Deep-Wrap Windows. I have spotted about a dozen of the 28/30 Argosy trailers with the Front & Rear Deep-Wrap Windows offered for sale on various classified sites over the past three or four years. Each year, at the WBCCI International Rally, I seem to spot about a half-dozen Airstream trailers with the optional Front & Rear Deep-Wrap windows.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1976 Argosy Rear Bedroom with Deep Wrap Windows_sm.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	23908  
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote