Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2002, 05:56 AM   #1

Unhappy Water leak panoramic windows

I have a recently purchased 1994 Excella and when it rains I have leaks on both panoramic windows. I have received some advice but I'm not sure what the best solution is. I've been told to have an auto windshield repairman pull out the windows and seal them since they are like auto windows. I've also been told just to buy some silicone for windshield repair/sealer to solve the problem. While both options sound reasonable, my concern is the source of the leak. The way the windows are installed makes me think the source of the leak is not at the window but could be above or where the hinges for the rockguard are attached. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Andy Fay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 07:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Try this

Andy,
Based on what you've said. My suggestion would be to check the screws at the top of each window.

At this point, I really don't believe you need to remove the windows completely as you described. Your unit is way too new for that, yet. IMHO
See if you can put some Vulkem in the holes and, reset the screws to effect a tight seal behind the screws. It's very possible that water is finding its way in through the screws.
Good luck to you.
ciao
BTW, Don't over tighten the screws as in many cases..there's not much behind them..KWIM?
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Silicon is readily available and dries quick and works. Over a short period of time it yellows and looks yukky. It also leaves difficult to remove residue on the skin.

Vulkem needs to be ordered, dries a lot slower, and also works. It more closely matches aluminum color and is what is used at the factory so it is less likely to look like a repair.

You could also try using a pressure washer to try and figure out where the leak is coming from. As you mentioned, leaks travel and where it comes out may or may not be near the source.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Check above the window for loose or missing rivets. After my accident I had two pop. You may also want to check the seam where the cap meets the roof.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Ps

If you go silicon, get Aluminum color. It's a little more expensive and hard to find but does not yellow.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
My 87 leaked from the screws in the window guard. One way to tell is remove them and see if they are rusted. Mine were rusted full length. The water dripped in and ran down to look like the window leaked.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:52 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Andy,
DO NOT USE SILICONE!!! If you do it will compound your problems. Silcone does not stay adhered to aluminum well at all. I would start with your rock guard, take it off clean the area where it mounts and reinstall with butyl tape sealant (available at most RV stores) and then seal along the top with Vulkem or Sikalastic. These are the two caulks that Airstream uses or has used in the past. They are available from several sources, Vintage Trailer Supply and The Mothership(Airstream). The best method to use for checking for leaks is a regular water hose, the pressure washer could actually make your problems worse by blowing out sealant. Start at the bottom of the windows with the hose until you see leaks, then start your sealing. While you are at it, check lights, panel seams, around the window frames. As far as an automotive windshield technician...I doubt they would have a clue as to how to deal with an Airstream window assembly.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:24 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Andy,
DO NOT USE SILICONE!!! As far as an automotive windshield technician...I doubt they would have a clue as to how to deal with an Airstream window assembly.

Aaron
I'm glad Aaron posted this....it's sound advice! Use either Silkaflex or Vulkem and never, and I mean never take your Airstream to a windshield place! Either find a good repair center that is Airstream certified or deal with/contact the factory.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Fay
I have a recently purchased 1994 Excella and when it rains I have leaks on both panoramic windows. I have received some advice but I'm not sure what the best solution is. I've been told to have an auto windshield repairman pull out the windows and seal them since they are like auto windows. I've also been told just to buy some silicone for windshield repair/sealer to solve the problem. While both options sound reasonable, my concern is the source of the leak. The way the windows are installed makes me think the source of the leak is not at the window but could be above or where the hinges for the rockguard are attached. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Your water leaks could also be coming from the "clearance lights," as well as possibly the window gasket itself.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Uhhh, guys...

I'm sure Andy Fay has either gotten his windows fixed by now or no longer owns the trailer. Last time the logged in was 11/15/02

Good advice for others though, stay away from the silicone.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois

I never looked at the date of the post....how funny!
Old 01-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Mi Culpa

I guess I'm the original guilty party who didn't notice the old date with everyone else following like lemmings to the sea.

So I won't even mention the leak could also be from the AIRSTREAM logo where it is riveted to the body above the front window.

A thousand pardons,
Old 01-02-2007, 07:05 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
I guess I'm the original guilty party who didn't notice the old date with everyone else following like lemmings to the sea.

So I won't even mention the leak could also be from the AIRSTREAM logo where it is riveted to the body above the front window.

A thousand pardons,

Yea...it's Marshall's fault....sinner!

(You know I'm just kidding )
Old 01-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Cullowhee , North Carolina
Being a newbe myself, Thanks for all the good advice. I'll take my silicon back to Lowe's tomorrow I bought today for the wrap windows on my '70 Safari.

David @ darkcove

P.s. I'll also watch time and date more closely. HA!
Dark Cove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Monterey Bay , California
I brought home a 1972 27' Overlander last week. It is raining in Nor.Cal. and this a.m. noticed the the road side front wing window beginning to fill with water. I sealed all front window areas just a few days ago. What now. I have read most threads about drilling out small holes in bottom of window to alleviate the water. However, I need to find the source. Thoughts??????
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Leaks

My 92 limited was leaking in that area. My leak was coming in through the hinge screws that hold the solar shield/rock guard above the window.
I took each screw out individually and used Parbond, most rv stores have it.
You can squirt it up in the hole easily. That solved the problem.
I would have used vulcem but i didn't have a syringe. vulcem is very thick and hard to get into small areas less that 1/4 width.
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:33 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Monterey Bay , California
Onward and upward to find the culprit. Thanks, I'll give er a try. Fingers crossed.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote