Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2002, 10:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Thurmont , Maryland
Question film on windows

Our 75 Landyacht has a film on the inside of the windows that looks like a metallic tinting. It is bubbled and peeling. I want to remove it, but it doesn't pull off easily. I tried a little heat with a hair dryer, but that didn't help. Does anyone know how to remove it? Also the vista windows feel like plastic not glass and I am afraid to use a solvent.
Betty
badagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 11:23 AM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I had film )window tint on the rear window and 2 side windows over each twin bed on my '66 Overlander. It was a razor blade s****ing that finally fixed that concern. It took some time because the film was very old. And that only works on glass. There is not a vista window on a '66 so I can not tell you what vista windows are made of. However, plastic will not like a razor blade s****ing.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 02:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Thurmont , Maryland
Thanks for your help. I was afraid that would be the only way. For the plastic, I have found that my thumbnail seems to work the best. It's just a little hard on the nail.
I guess that's what I will be doing on long boring afternoons.
Betty
badagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 02:38 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Fortunately vista windows are small. However, you might call a window tint shop for suggestions on plastic window tint removal. Or just have them do it. Or a plastic paint s****er, used with caution to save the nails.
When you are done there are plastic window polishes on the market that will help with small scratches. (Auto parts store) I use a polish on my boat windows that are sewn into the canvas top. It makes a big difference on my boat and offers protection like a wax to the plastic window.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action (in Phoenix) the land of window tint
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 02:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lightbulb

Betty ~

You might try a product called BESTINE. It's a rubber cement solvent, similar to Goof Off, but much, much better. It can be found at most art supply stores or even Home Depot, I think. It is very flammable, so be sure to use in a well ventilated area. It's also really hard on your hands, so wear gloves for large jobs.

It won't harm most (there's always an exception!) plastics, but try it in a small inconspicuous place first.

Once you have used this stuff you'll never be without it for all those pesky little price tags & such that seem to be impossible to remove. Good Luck...

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote