View Poll Results: What computer do you use?
PC 180 50.00%
Mac 196 54.44%
Other 7 1.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2006, 01:32 PM   #29
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, I've noticed that Mac users and Airstreamers tend to go hand in hand. Must be that the Apple logo is silver.

Old 02-01-2006, 01:40 PM   #30
Site Team

, Minnesota
I used a Mac for a few months in 2001. Otherwise I have been Windows since 1990.

I have bought Apple stock (AAPL) from time to time, most recently In late 2002. So I really appreciate all you MAC and iPod users.

Old 02-01-2006, 02:17 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Mac all the way! I have used the Mac since I started with computers in '94 and am now a graphic designer. Travel with my Laptop all the time. Unfortunately there is a wonderful mapping program out there that only works on PC so, alas, I must use Virtual PC from time to time.
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Mac G4 powerbook here. I would love to have a house again just so I could get an IMac.

We got tired of the blue screens about 2 years ago and changed over. Wont ever go back.
Working on that though.
tyndalelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:30 PM   #33
_

. , .
they're all intel inside now.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I used a Mac for a few months in 2001. Otherwise I have been Windows since 1990.
I have bought Apple stock (AAPL) from time to time. So I really appreciate all you MAC and iPod users.
i too benefit from the apple user cult and the windows drones......buying the stock of jobs and gates has been more trouble free that any of the cypher boxes.

the folks selling picks and shovels did much better than the prospectors....and still do.

i still have a letter (somewhere) sent out from mcsoft to the very early windows users....describing how/why the 'next' version was gonna be better than any thing from the other guys.....it was funny then and still is....the letter was signed by a windows project manager named robert macintosh....but signed "r. macintosh"....say it out loud......

every 2 years i consider buying a new mac.....they just look so cool....but then i review all of the software i use......no music, no production video....

taxcut, garmin, polar heart rate, and 4-5 other vital pieces of financial software, travel software, mapping and so, on no longer have mac versions....

so select the hardware base on your software needs/usage....

i know there are "work arounds" for the mac.......but isn't NOT using a work around the point?

so, i keep trying to do mac, but every two years i have that much more stuff saved in another form.

twinkie often notes a correlation between a/s and mac but i think one 'sees' what one 'thinks'.... and i suggest that the vast majority of travel trailer owners use a pc or big chief tablet.....

i'm not a techie but as an educator had lots of mac interactions and liked them....often using one for several days to play.....but then when work was the goal...pc was the tool. and while mac plays claims the education market.....in medical school education/research pcs are about 10/1 depending on application.

fear of system failure.....i'm conservative about this maybe.....but i have never had one bug on any pc in....18 years. not one virus ever and no system crashes in 5 years...... of course there is that 3rd world worm about to hatch on the 3rd of feb.....

the poll is proof (like most of them here) it takes a village to write/edit/review/test/edit/launch before the poll is proper.......

this one should include the choices 'both' or 'neither' and ....

cheers
2air'
Old 02-01-2006, 03:31 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
OK all you MAC lovers.... I have a couple of questions...

I started with an AppleIIE. I loved it. Then I got a MAC LC. I loved it even more. I eventually went to a PC because of file and networking compatability problems. This was in the mid 90s. Ten years later I'm still using PCs. But... in those 10 years I can't tell you how many problems I've had.

I've always known that MACs are superior machine ever since I saw Steve Jobs and others unveil the MAC to the Washington DC market in 1984. I could easily be swayed to go back to a MAC... maybe...

How compatable are they with data exchange and file formats?

Can I network PCs and MACs? (we currently have 4 computers)?

Will MACs read the data that I have on my Sandisk Cruzer drives?

Can I use my Creative MP3 players with them?

etc etc etc

If the answers are right, I could EASILY be convinced to get a MAC for my next computer.

Finally, the last time I heard any statistics, Apple had 5% of the market share for personal computers. Does anyone know the current share?

Jim
Old 02-01-2006, 03:55 PM   #35
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
No, I was just trying to set up an airport express as a range extender so that I can use the laptop(s) in the back room. What I find difficult was that the process is not very intuitive. It took 2 days to figure it out. long story short, the documentation was not very good. I just find networking the PC more simple. But that is just me and may really only reflect my ability to adapt or look at the problem from a different prospective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
You're kidding right? Networking the Mac fleet I manage at work and use at home is a snap. You doin' it manually or with DHCP?

I did something really cool this past weekend. My wife's parents have a graphite G3 running 10.3.9 connected to a broadband connection. They had some issues and from 300 miles away, I used Apple Remote Desktop, connected to the Mac via the Internet like I was sitting in front of it and solved the issue, which wasn't an OS issue, their niece threw away their copy of Excel...yea, they let her use the machine with their admin account.....

My Apple use started when in 6th grade, they slid an Apple II+ under my snoot.....and I've never owned anything else than an Apple....acutally converted a few folks along the way who were staunch PC users that use to laugh at me.....until they tried it.

I have an Apple II+, IIgs, Mac SE and 7600/200 sitting on the shelf for fun. I have a shoebox full of 5.25s and 3.5s for the Apple IIs that still work.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:58 PM   #36
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod

If you are talking .pdf, .doc, etc, yes they are fully compatible

Yes you can newtwork Mac and PCs on the same network. If you want to share files between them you'd need to turn on filesharing on either the Mac or the PC-- but use caution with file sharing turned on with any machine connected to the Internet, particularly the PC.

If it's a standard USB flash drive, sure. I have a Kangaroo which is similar and it works fine.

As for your MP3, I just don't know on that one.

My advice would be (if possible) to go to an Apple Store near you and bring a few of your toys with you. They let you connect your stuff to the display machines and try it out.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:03 PM   #37
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Jim,

The answers are all yes. I do share files between my pc and mac but there can be some compatability issues. For us, we have to use our PC for the satellite internet system. But that's about all it is used for. The PC provides the firewall and internet connection sharing for the rest of the computers in our house.

I do have a shared folder on the PC that the mac can see so that if I need to send files between, I can. There is software like PCMacLan that somehow let the two play well together but I don't use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
OK all you MAC lovers.... I have a couple of questions...

I started with an AppleIIE. I loved it. Then I got a MAC LC. I loved it even more. I eventually went to a PC because of file and networking compatability problems. This was in the mid 90s. Ten years later I'm still using PCs. But... in those 10 years I can't tell you how many problems I've had.

I've always known that MACs are superior machine ever since I saw Steve Jobs and others unveil the MAC to the Washington DC market in 1984. I could easily be swayed to go back to a MAC... maybe...

etc etc etc

If the answers are right, I could EASILY be convinced to get a MAC for my next computer.

Finally, the last time I heard any statistics, Apple had 5% of the market share for personal computers. Does anyone know the current share?

Jim
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #38
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
No, I was just trying to set up an airport express as a range extender
I've never used one of those. I picked up an omnidirectional exterior antenna for the ones here at work....picked up another bar doing it (the buildings are made of reinf concrete.

At home, the base station is about 35 feet from where I sit in the Airstream. I have to crank it up to 100% to get a signal going through the aluminum. Outside though with my base station set to 100% power output, I can go nearly 250 feet on the same side of the street, but the houses really block the signal past about 250 and the base station is in the middle of my house about 3 feet off the floor. If I hop over to the other side of the street, I can go nearly 300 feet before I loose a signal with the Airport Extreme (802.11g) with no external antennas. I bet if I put the base station up in the attic, I'd get better distances, but it gets far too hot and cold up there.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:07 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Answers for Jimandrod...

jimandrod,

The answers to your questions are easily found on the internet with just a little searching. You might want to start at www.apple.com.

Also, I'm curious what difference market share makes? Just as people drive different cars or even own different RVs, people purchase different tools including computers made by different manufacturers and having different operating systems.

File formats for most applications people use are compatible across platforms. Major applications have versions that work in both Windows and Mac so cross-grading is simple. Or, on the Mac you don't even need new software because so much is already included including the ability to create PDF files from any application or to create zip files right from the operating system.

Hanging on to obsolete products is interesting too. Creative exited the MP3 market on September 30, 2005. Try an iPod, which has more compatibility with audio formats than any other player.

I don't know when Apple will be opening a store in your neighborhood, but there may be an Apple reseller nearby. Also, there are 3 Apple stores across the border in Arizona.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:16 PM   #40
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
The PC provides the firewall and internet connection sharing for the rest of the computers in our house.
I got a grin off this one, only because I am looking to install a VPN here at work and was looking for one of those key fobs that give you a random number because we have the type of users that put usernames and passwords on a stick it note on the side of the CPU.

So, I looked and looked but only found a couple I liked and they ran on Win2003 server. So I emailed the Apple Systems Engineer that is assigned to our account asking if he knew if Win 2003 could read our LDAP directory of users or if he knew of a company that made the software that worked off a Mac.

Well, I get this call about 4 minutes after I hit send. He said:

"I got your email, neat you want to set one of those up. We use cryptocard and it works off OSX. But let me be sure I understand you....you were actually thinking of using a Windows machine as a security device?"

....and I thought to myself for a minute, and said, you know, your're right, what was I thinking!

So when I saw your post about using your PC as your security device.....
Old 02-01-2006, 04:23 PM   #41
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
A ways back, a friend asked if I had bought Windows 3.0 for my computer yet. At the time, I was running DOS 3.3 and then 4.1. He warned me: "It'll take over your computer." This friend worked for IBM in Atlanta, and one day he called and said, "Hey, do you try out OS/2 for free?"

Sure, I said, and then I bought a faster computer. I ran OS/2 rather happily for several years, even getting away from Pakmail and onto the net with it. Then IBM tried 2.0 and their advertising was like, "Hey, dude. OS/2 will OBLITERATE your software."

It seems that a lot of people did not want their software obliterated, and IBM eventually pulled it from the general market.

So then I switched to Linux. I ran various versions of Red Hats until I got my present job. I telecommuted for almost a year using Linux until it became obvious that I couldn't provide good support for our products without being familiar with Windows.

Thus Windows finally got to "take over" my computer, and, to my pleasant surprise, there is an abundance of good open source software for Windows now.

That was two years ago. For a long time, I had both boxen sitting side by side on the floor, with two monitors and keyboards, mice, etc. Then I "upgraded" from Redhat to Redhat Enterprise, and that was a rollicking disaster.

Rather than put more effort into it when I still doing a crash course on running Windows, I used Linux less and less. When I got this new to me Excella last year, I never bothered putting the Linux box in it.

As for Windows, I can say that it's much more stable than it used to be.

One of my favorite features of OS/2 1.0 and 1.1 and later was that it remembered where program files were. If you moved one from one place on the PC to another, OS/2 knew about it, and you could still run the program without having to go find it first. Windows still can't do that.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #42
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
I’m currently using a 20 in. G5 iMac. Apple has always been my first choice since my first PC in 1982, and Apple II+. Since the 70’s I worked with all kinds of computer systems. It may sound crazy today, but I can recall the resistance our “SW Engineers” and programmers had with the introduction of the mouse, the GUI, the touch pad, and the 3.5 in. floppy disk. One HW item the ‘worker bees’ loved was the internal hard drive. Today our family has a newwork of 4 Macs and 4 Wintel machines. Check out the Washington Apple Pie: www.wap.org/ A great user group.