Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2018, 05:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I year old batteries dead after 1 month storage

We're ready to leave for a two and an half month trip to Newfoundland and found that our trailer batteries were dead. It was only stored for a month since we last used it for a week long trip. The batteries are less than one year old, and though we didn't disconnect the batteries we did have the trailer in storage mode. What is the best method to find the phantom draw, if there is one? Nothing, as far as we know was left on. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
FranM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would simply disconnect the negative side of the batteries when in storage.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:40 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Yup. Known issue. The inverter and LP detector will both draw power from the batteries even when the inside switch is set to “store” mode. Batteries will be dead after 3 weeks sitting without a charge.

You need physically disconnect that batteries manually at the terminals or by using a mechanical switch when in storage.

Batteries are likely damaged now and probably won’t hold a full charge again now that have drawn down to probably 10v.

Sorry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0236.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	318823   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0205.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	318824  

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:05 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

A lot depends on the exact trailer and the batteries involved. Anything over two weeks in storage is running on borrowed time. Indeed it is quite easy to flip a switch and kill the batteries in well under a week.

Known working solutions to the problem:

1) (if the trailer is stored outside) Install a fairly basic solar charge setup. Even an 80W panel will keep things topped up if it's stored out in the sun.

2) (if shore power is available) Plug in a trickle charger and attach that to the trailer when in storage.

3) Pull the negative leads off of the battery when in storage.

4) Put in a full disconnect switch on the battery

5) Pull the batteries out and take them home when the trailer is is in storage

6) Camp out every weekend (with shore power) ....

What works for you may not be what works for everybody else ...

Keep in mind that a dead battery will take a day to recharge. Even one that is only partially dead may take most of a day to recharge. Heading out to that off grid site without a full charge can be ... no fun ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Yup. Known issue. The inverter and LP detector will both draw power from the batteries even when the inside switch is set to “store” mode. Batteries will be dead after 3 weeks sitting without a charge.

You need physically disconnect that batteries manually at the terminals or by using a mechanical switch when in storage.

Batteries are likely damaged now and probably won’t hold a full charge again now that have drawn down to probably 10v.

Sorry

Wulfraat, I also up-sized the parallel 2/0? connector cables and inc. the 3/8 ring terminals per Lewster’s suggestion. It never occurred to me to also convert the 6 ga pos/neg post connections to ring terminals as well. Great idea thanks!

b
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
Batteries and power consumption are the "Achillies Heel" of the Airstreams. Each new model seems to be more "power hungry" than the next. We disconnect the batteries for short term storage (read a week or two) and pull the batteries and put them on battery tenders for longer (read a couple of months) - aggravating and annoying especially since they fit tightly in the box and the cables are short and a pain. We have a cardboard template and shoe laces we use on the cable to make pulling and replacing the batteries easier. Buying new batteries at the beginning of each season has become a way of life for us.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasterlife View Post
. . .
. . . Buying new batteries at the beginning of each season has become a way of life for us.
This should not be necessary IMO, with proper maintenance and oversight of your batteries and charging practices.

For you, that might be the path of least resistance, but many folks get at least 3-4 years out of the standard lead/acid batteries, if not longer. Our used 25' in the 90's came with good batteries, and when we sold her 6 years later the batteries were still OK. Our 2014 FC20 has the OEM batteries, and they have been kept charged [>12.5 volts] since purchase. Never had to add more than about 1/8" of water to each cell.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:45 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are a number of people here on the forums who report 7 year lifespans on batteries in AS trailers.

Age wise, the two main drains are the propane detector and the inverter. If you go back far enough to find a trailer without an inverter, yes it will do a bit better than the "newer" ones. I believe that inverters have been going into AS trailers for a pretty long time .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #9
tamiot

2004 25' Safari
Tallahassee , Florida
Don't give up yet

Before you decide to totally scrap the batteries, it's possible that a battery store may be able to charge it. They have equipment and ways to do this. Or you might try this trick...
https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/1815/car-battery-wont-charge-after-sitting-for-a-year
tamiamiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I year old batteries dead after 1 month storage

Mine have lasted at least 5 years before needing replacement.
I have a pair of GC-2 six volt golf cart batteries and an MPPT solar charger doing the heavy lifting.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I read in Manual says to plug to shore power and put switch to in use mode. This causes the inverter to charge batteries.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:13 AM   #12
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I read in Manual says to plug to shore power and put switch to in use mode. This causes the inverter to charge batteries.

Close. It causes the *converter* to charge the batteries *IF* the trailer is plugged into shore power.

Most people don’t have access to shore power to plug in the trailer while in storage.

It is essential that batteries are full disconnected from the trailer while in storage or they will be ruined in short order by parasitic draws.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:15 AM   #13
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
This should not be necessary IMO, with proper maintenance and oversight of your batteries and charging practices.

For you, that might be the path of least resistance, but many folks get at least 3-4 years out of the standard lead/acid batteries, if not longer. Our used 25' in the 90's came with good batteries, and when we sold her 6 years later the batteries were still OK. Our 2014 FC20 has the OEM batteries, and they have been kept charged [>12.5 volts] since purchase. Never had to add more than about 1/8" of water to each cell.

Peter

Totally agree. If you take care of your lead acid batteries they will last for years - 500-1000 cycles.

Lead acid batteries want to be floated constantly for good health. In storage this means attaching a charger to them that was design for this purpose. I use a batteryMINDer and it works well.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Close. It causes the *converter* to charge the batteries *IF* the trailer is plugged into shore power.

Most people don’t have access to shore power to plug in the trailer while in storage.

It is essential that batteries are full disconnected from the trailer while in storage or they will be ruined in short order by parasitic draws.

So I have mine plugged in to 20 amp service at home. Very easy if you have extension cord and adapter. Now if you have storage without power then obviously won’t work. But many store AS at home.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Rockaway , New Jersey
This is my first winter with my 2017 FC 27FB, which I just winterized. As for the batteries, my plan was to leave them in the AS, put the AS in store mode, and simply plug into my 30amp shor power I installed at the house ever few weeks.

Will this work? Or should I pull them out for the winter, put in the garage, and attach a battery minder?
Tomfeury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomfeury View Post
This is my first winter with my 2017 FC 27FB, which I just winterized. As for the batteries, my plan was to leave them in the AS, put the AS in store mode, and simply plug into my 30amp shor power I installed at the house ever few weeks.

Will this work? Or should I pull them out for the winter, put in the garage, and attach a battery minder?
I dont have a smart charger/converter nor SP at storage, but I'm thinking the switch isolates the batteries. The switch should be in use for the (smart) converter, I believe now standard to charge the batts.

I bring mine home to live on my work bench w/the trickle connectec, so i can keep an eye on them. Then again we use our TT year round, with winter travels to warmer areas, so batts need to be ready to go😃
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
This is the way I have done/do it. If they dropped below 12.3 I plugged them in for 1 day...7yrs the AGM's never did. Interstates...yes.
I have also taken them out and stored inside.
Many options available...just confirm they are charged and don't let 'em freeze.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1fb3.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	328033  
Old 11-17-2018, 06:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
This is the way I have done/do it. If they dropped below 12.3 I plugged them in for 1 day...7yrs the AGM's never did. Interstates...yes.

I have also taken them out and stored inside.

Many options available...just confirm they are charged and don't let 'em freeze.

Bob

[emoji631]

I like your approach of using calendar entries to remind you of maintenance items. May adopt that too. What are the recurring items on your list? Also - running a Mac with Mohave?
Old 11-17-2018, 06:36 AM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you have access to power at all times where you store your Airstream, you can make sure everything else is off, and connect the shore power cord through a heavy duty timer. Set the timer to turn on for an hour a day, and the use/store switch to “use”. 2018 and newer can leave the switch to “store”.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:29 AM   #20
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
If you have access to power at all times where you store your Airstream, you can make sure everything else is off, and connect the shore power cord through a heavy duty timer. Set the timer to turn on for an hour a day, and the use/store switch to “use”. 2018 and newer can leave the switch to “store”.
What changed in 2018 that makes it possible to leave the switch on “store”?
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote