Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 05:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
East Durham , New York
Solar prewires

Hello,

In the process of getting a solar panel for my 2003 22ft. I've located the green and yellow wires in the ceiling (for the roof installation) and in the locker where the controller should go, I also see the black and red wires that are labeled Solar and connect to the battery. Problem is I do not see the black and red wires in the locker where the controller goes. There are black and red wires but they are connected to other things, not isolated and labeled Solar.

Question is: do I only need to connect the green and yellow wires to the controller?

Thanks in advance.
J
bluvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
You say above that you see "black and red wires labeled Solar that are connected to the battery". Where do you see these wires?
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

East Durham , New York
Solar

Hi,

Thanks for responding. The black and red wires are bundled together with labels attached marked "solar" under the bed towards the front where the battery bus bar is. They are not connected to anything but AS said these are to be connected once panels are installed. The problem is that I don't see the red and black wires in the locker where the controller should go, only green and yellow marked "solar.

Best,
J
Old 07-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

First step is to dig a bit. They may be buried in a bundle of wires in a hard to find corner of the space.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

East Durham , New York
Solar

Well, I've been digging all morning with no luck. There is definitely no black and red wires behind the radio as it states in the manual. ugh. I wonder if they just forgot to install? Green and Yellow Solar are clearly marked.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:52 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If the wires are marked and present at the battery end of things, they go *somewhere* in the trailer. Just where they wound up depends a lot on how they did stuff on your model in that year. If the green and yellow wires terminate ( show up as unconnected ends) in the locker with the radios, it's a good bet the red and black are somewhere near by.

In my case, all the wires are up under the sofa. None of the solar stuff is anywhere near the radio or overhead lockers. The green and yellow do run overhead, but they end under the sofa (and on the roof). It's Airstream so ... "never the same way twice" applies.

If you aren't the first owner .. possibly the PO "borrowed" the red / black for some other purpose ...

Bob
Old 07-21-2018, 08:08 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
mcminnville , Oregon
solar wires

I called AM solar and asked them about the wires. My 2010 had solar panels installed but they did not work very well. The controller was a thirty dollar part on Ebay. I rewired with six gauge wire instead of the ten gauge that was there, a new controller and new panels to make four hundred watts. The system is great thanks to Am Solar.
pal50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

East Durham , New York
Solar

I've been digging for most of the day with no luck, definitely no black and red anywhere to be found except by the battery bus. bummer. I'd really like to avoid rewiring.

Thanks for all of your help!
James
Old 07-22-2018, 07:15 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Not all of the wires may have been completely pulled and stuffed under the sound gear before that was bolted in place. There's only just so much room in some of these areas for loose wires. Working out the route they would take is the next step in finding them.

With that in mind, which direction do they head from the battery? How far can you follow them from that point? How do the other wires get into the space you think they should show up in? Is there a "utility space" along the way? If you yank on them do you hear noise "up the line"? (which might help track things).

As an example: If wires were heading from the battery in my trailer to up by the sound system, they would pop out first under the sofa. Then they would show up in the vicinity of the dinette. Finally they would head up past the fridge. All those areas have wire tangles in them. All would be candidates for the "where is the wire" hunt. Yes, that's all my trailer and yours is going to be different. Not all of the wires may have been completely pulled and stuffed under the sound gear before that was bolted in place.

There's no disadvantage of working out the route and pulling this and that open. You will have to do pretty much the same thing if you decide to pull your own wires. Looking at this and that is *way* easier than pulling the wire ....

Bob
Old 07-22-2018, 07:43 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
Do the yellow and green wires terminate in the locker you referred too? In my trailer they ran all the way to the front under the bed where the battery bus bar, inverter and some other wiring was. The red and black wires you located under the bed, where do they appear to go from there?--Frank
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #11
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Would a 'tone generator' work to find the wires behind the walls?
Old 07-22-2018, 08:21 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by fran&frank View Post
Do the yellow and green wires terminate in the locker you referred too? In my trailer they ran all the way to the front under the bed where the battery bus bar, inverter and some other wiring was. The red and black wires you located under the bed, where do they appear to go from there?--Frank
Hi

That's how it worked in my trailer as well. Everything terminated right by the main DC thermal breaker "bus".

Bob
Old 07-22-2018, 08:32 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

East Durham , New York
Solar

Yes, the green and yellow terminate behind the radio in the locker, they are clearly marked Solar. Under the bed by the bus is the red and black terminated wire (not connected) marked Solar.

What's missing is the black and red in the locker. I'll keep looking, but I've tried almost everywhere.

Also, those black and red wires by the bus travel upwards from there so they have to go somewhere?

Thanks for the help.

James
Old 07-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

From looking at some pictures, the area behind the fridge is a likely place for wires to come out. There appears to be a "chase" up the side of the wardrobe from there. In some trailers there is a flimsy wall in the wardrobe that separates that wiring chase from everything else. I'd look behind it. If they aren't there, check behind / under the fridge.

Bob
Old 07-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

East Durham , New York
I found them!!!! They were under the cabinet under the sink on the floor so either they never routed them up to the locker or they fell out (not likely). I now just have to figure out how to fish them back up to the locker. So relieved. Time to move on to buying the panel and controller. I think I'll have a celebratory beer!

Thanks everyone, especially Bob!!!

Best,
James
Old 07-23-2018, 07:01 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, that's not an uncommon "discovery". Fishing them up may require a bit of patience. Feeding something down from the top usually is the "easy" way to get it done.

One alternative on the controller / panel: A Victron MPPT:

https://shop.pkys.com/Victron-Energy...th_p_2779.html

There are a number of models. You can size them according to how ambitious your project is. They will handle high voltage panels if you run into limits on the input wires.

They all (if you get the Smart Solar rather than Blue Solar model) "talk" Bluetooth. No need for a panel ( you can put one on if you wish). They have a few more bells and whistles than the ones AS typically uses ( have to say typically since AS now puts them in some trailers ...). Install is basically no different than any controller. ( = read the directions and do what they say .. )

Bob
Old 08-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

East Durham , New York
Solar

Hello again,

Can someone please tell me where to attach the solar wires near this bunch near the battery. I've attached a pic. I can't figure out where the positive and ground go.

Thanks!!!!
J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5129.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	318951  
Old 08-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluvalley View Post
Hello again,

Can someone please tell me where to attach the solar wires near this bunch near the battery. I've attached a pic. I can't figure out where the positive and ground go.

Thanks!!!!
J
Hi

Assuming we're talking about the *output* wires from the solar charger ....

The negative /ground goes to the aluminum colored bus bar that has all the white wires going into it. The positive goes through a fuse to the copper colored bar to the right in the picture.

Bob
Old 08-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

East Durham , New York
Solar

Do I attach the Red wire to one of the free posts on the copper bar or on top of one that already has an attachment (on the left side)

thanks so much!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluvalley View Post
Do I attach the Red wire to one of the free posts on the copper bar or on top of one that already has an attachment (on the left side)

thanks so much!!!!!!
Hi

The end of the wire from the fuse holder that you put on the red wire goes to any of the un-used bolts on the copper bus bar. The other bolts are inputs to breakers, so you want to avoid using them.

Bob