Old 03-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #57
. , .
did anyone buy a kipor yet?

hi gen setters.....

several in this thread were considering the kipor generators.....

these are described basically as honda knockoffs.....well at least by the kipor people.

while at the rv show last week end, i spent 30 minutes discussing the 3 brands (honda, kipor, yamaha) with a dealer/service rep for honda....

i explained that i already had my honda and really liked it but knew some folks considering the kipor and yamaha. i asked him to sumarize the "issues" for the other brands.....knowing i already own a honda.

while most of the parts are stamped from molds of honda bits....
that is where the similarity ends.....

-honda has steel lined aluminum cylinders; kipor is full cylinder walls are much less durable...

-honda has compression regulator? at start up that makes the hand pulling easy and smooth; kipor does not....even most lawn mowers have this now.

-honda makes very clean juice....almost pure sine wave output from the converter; kipor electrical output is "as rough as a brushless motor"...apparently this means it is a very square sine wave and this output is hard on appliances and many electric motors, tvs and so on....he has put them on a device that shows the output, volts, wave and so on...."very primative electricity" was his description

-parts.....kipor has virtually no dealer/service network and honda parts do not FIT exactly....he has tried to service several kipor units for customers...just so he could take 'em apart and learn...
and has called the main kipor usa sales site....they told him to "take it to a honda shop"...when he informed him he was the region honda repair facility.....they said "sorry but we can't fix em yet back in a few months"...

-gaskets and seals.......his examination suggested the materials were very poor and all of the kipors he tried to service had mulitple leaks inside the housing...mostly oil and fuel.

on the yamaha models he felt yamaha was doing a good job for being so late to the game......clean electric output......well leaks....the 2 issues he mentioned were.....

1.-honda is very conservative in 'rating' the electric output and across the line is 5-10% under rating so that the customer gets at least the rating....always.......the yamahas are over rated for about 3-5%.....this isn't much but when needing start up power for an a/c or other compressors, or power several devices...this becomes very important
2.- honda has the highest reliability rating for any gen producer(onan has lots but we weren't including them in this discussion)....and also has the most service sites with parts that are readily available....yamaha still doesn't have many repair/service centers and the reliablity record is too early to describe....

while the air-life article suggested the yamahas were 8-11dbs louder...
the honda guy said the yamahas were in fact only 2-3dbs louder for similar sized models...

hope this helps some still thinking on this issue......

has anyone (known forum member) purchased a kipor yet to give us a report?

2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:27 PM   #58

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
I was considering the kipor, however, when I contacted them they said that they were not convertable to propane like the hondas and yamahas. Here endeth my interest.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member
1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
You can get a compact diesel genset used on boats and also tractor trailers use these so they don't have to run the rig. These units are twice as expensive as a Honda EU3000 but they run cheaper and will probably last much longer.
Hensley Hitch, Jordan controller
basecamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 05:55 AM   #60
Rivet Master
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
O.K. time for my two cents worth.... I've been enjoying the benefits of the Generac 40 Quietpac for over two years and about 2,000+ hours of use. This is not a portable but a fixed genset. It has a bottom exit exhaust. It's in it's own housing and is very quiet. The bottom line is that it is an inverter type controled output power.
Find it on the web for about $1400-$1500 DELIVERED! I got mine from . The best I can say is that it is for sale with my old rig and I'll replace it with a brand new model of the same type, just a few thousand less hours. If you've got a fixed location this is a genset to consider.

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote