Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2005, 08:47 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
tampa , Florida
portable generators

I am new to the forum and a new airstream owner. I have been having trouble finding an affordable protable generator for use in powering AC and other things when remote camping.

I bought a Powerboss 5500 ($700) that has a 4-prong twist lock NEMA L14-30R outlet. It produces 5500 running watts at that outlet.

How can I connect in to my Airstream? Is it impossible or impractical? Do I need to return it and get another type of generator? Please HELP!!
kstampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:07 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Cool

Welcome to the Forum!
The best generators for camping are the quiet ones, and Yamaha and Honda manufacture several models that are the quietest. These also utilize inverters which produce steady power without surges, which is great for computer use. The Honda 2000i is compact, lightweight [50 lbs], but inadequate for AC. However two of them can be connected to provide double their electric output, which is plenty. I use a single one for most boondocking, and connect the second one only when I need AC.

Yamaha has a new model that weighs about 70 lbs or so [Inverter EF2400iS, 2400 watts/16.7 amps] that several forum members are using for AC, so that is another option.

All of these are more expensive than typical generators, but well worth the difference in my experience. There are several 'generator threads' that are worth reading to help you come to a decision that is best for you.
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Also, I just plug the Airstream power cord [with adapter] into the generator, unless I am recharging a single battery and use the 12vDC cord with clips.
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
Old 12-21-2005, 09:27 AM   #4
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet

kstampa,

You can find previous discussions and even photos for generator experiences of others, by using the 'search' tools at the top right of each page. The advanced search may serve you best, by allowing you to choose specific forums to search within.

Try typing in generator as a key word and choose the Forum ‘Electrical, etc., etc.’ Look around there for ideas. You will discover that everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion.
That search should bring you HERE

I personally have a Honda EU3000is. You will want to buy a generator that is Camp-site-quiet. Since you have a pick-up truck bed, it will be easier for you because you can keep the gen in the truck bed and not have to lug it in & out like I do with the Excursion.
Go ahead and spend the $$$. Your neighbors will appreciate the quiet operation, and so will you. Besides, they are good for after our hurricanes and won't keep you awake all night. The inverter generators can also deliver you 'clean' power.

You may also get a kick out of this: CLICK HERE

Oh yeah ... Welcome!
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
kstampa,

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new Airstream. May you enjoy many happy years.

I do hope you will be discrete with your generator - the ones that are not designed for camping are terribly noisy and will impact your neighbors' (i.e. everyone within earshot) enjoyment of the outdoors. Even the quiet Hondas are too noisy to run continuously if you are camping with tenters or others who do not have generators - or even for those who enjoy sitting outside and listening to the rustle of leaves.

But - Welcome Welcome!

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
kstampa--- Another "Welcome " to the forum. You probably have already realized when it come to generators the words "afordable and portable" become an oxy-moron. I suspect by your coming here for advice you've already discovered this. The posters here are more courtious than most forums when construction style generators are mentioned. Many will tell you to expect rocks to be thrown at you when start it up, don't park near them,etc. Actually these generators are to noisey when used in anthing but the most remote locations. I think you'll find even then they will get on your nerves in a very short time. If possable to return it or trade for one designed for camping I would do it.-----Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I agree. If you don't want to be despised by your campground neighbors, you will want to buy a quiet generator. The Honda EUs or the Yamaha EFs are the standard. I have a Honda EU-3000 that runs all my equipment, even the air conditioner and it is hardly noticable outside my camping area.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:45 PM   #8
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
I agree with all of the above regarding noisy generators. However, regarding how to connect your generator to the Airstream... You can either make a pigtail with parts and wire from Home Depot converting the 4 prong to the 3 prong used on your trailer, or you can go to Camping World or look online at one of the generator sites for adaptors. I think they run around $30 or $40 but haven't checked in some time.
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:04 PM   #9

Home Depot has everything you need.

What I did was buy a heavy duty extension cord at home depot and changed out the female end of the cord (by cutting it off) and installed a female NEMA L14-30R Cord Cap that I bought at Home Depot. I have a 2004 28 FT Safari with about the same size generator as yours. The regular strait blade 20 Amp recept. has been able to handle all of the loads even in the heat of the summer in Houston.

William
willyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:07 PM   #10

Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort

Have you guys stayed there with your Airstream?
willyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Hi Kstampa, welcome to the forums.

I've been following different threads about generators on this forum and others for quite awhile now.

I'm looking for one that I could use primarily at home when our power goes out and also use with the trailer IF we ever decided to try boondocking.

I'm not familiar with your brand but from your description, I would guess that what you got is a "contractor" grade generator which is usually very loud. Is it?

Honda and Yamaha are two of the highest rated generator manufacturers. You will not find a lot of complaints about either of those brands. It looks like the biggest problem is not with the generators but with people buying too small a generator for their needs and not getting their A/C or A/C+Microwave to work.

However, you mentioned "affordable" in your message and both Honda and Yamaha are priced on the high end.

The Kipor invertor generators have been given a mostly positive review from the people that bought them. Basically, they are are a Chinese knockoff of the Honda products at about half the price.

I've been leaning towards their 3500TI. It would meet my needs for both home and the trailer.

One of the places that sells them is www.powerupdepot.com

Search here and other forums and you will get more hits than you care to read.

Regards,

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:36 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Stanwood , WA
Send a message via MSN to Bill M Send a message via Skype™ to Bill M
Smile Generators

[quote=kstampa]I am new to the forum and a new airstream owner. I have been having trouble finding an affordable protable generator for use in powering AC and other things when remote camping.

I bought a Powerboss 5500 ($700) that has a 4-prong twist lock NEMA L14-30R outlet. It produces 5500 running watts at that outlet.

How can I connect in to my Airstream? Is it impossible or impractical? Do I need to return it and get another type of generator? Please HELP!!
Hi, we have a 2005 CCD 28' and tow it with a diesel Excursion. This is our second AS and love the new on. We have been thinking about gensets, and the higher end ones are worth the money. There is an interesting one called KIPOR, that adjust it's engine speed to the load demand. We have a background in marine sets, and think this could be the best one yet. With our diesel, we would love to have one propane powered so as to not carry gas.
We will add an inverter this year.
our web: www.stillwaterlanding.com, we have some room for guest.
Bill
7 kitties
Stanwood WA & Whitefish Mt
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Wow...

Off Generator Topic (we use and love Honda Eu2000..) but I fell in love with Bill's Stillwater Landing web site... Need Lat/Long for GPS, or better directions.. As Airstream + Excursion owner and Piper Comanche owner, I'm struggling to decide whether to drive in or fly in... Perhaps an "Airstream Fly-In Event"? Sad to think we were in East Glacier and south of park in 2004 while on way to Oshkosh Air Show and didn't know about the site... We'd have made a major detour...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:04 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

tampa , Florida
Wow, what a welcome and oodles of info!

WOW! Thanks for the warm welcome everyone and Merry Christmas!

I should start by saying my wife and I have only owned this Airstream for 6 weeks and we've taken it out 3 times to the same place where I hunt and we camp with other hunters. There are actually sites at this camp for generator use and sites for no generators. So the generator users are not too particular about how much noise they make.

In any case, we plan to travel throughout the year and the country so I appreciate the insight on how campers are about generator noise. Are generator and non-generator sites within the same RV camps common? Is that typical?

Let me add some info I've found in my research. I want to power the following: On the 110v system, the AC (2000w) and one outlet for a TV at (300w). On the 12v system, I figured about 50% of the total amp draw of 85 (42amps x 12v = 504w). So I believe I need a total minimum of 2800 running watts.

"wrpete" I have seen and heard about the pairing of the EU2000's, thanks. I can appreciate the fact that you can carry on a conversation while standing next to one and they carry easily, but I really don't want to fork over $2500. I was looking for a little more affordable setup.

"driftwood" I was hoping to heat from someone that the EU3000is powered everything necessary (AC + other stuff), but I believe your AC is smaller and requires less watts that my 13500btu. I need to look into the EU3000 a little more.

"pmclemore" Thanks. We will normally try not to use a generator at all, but living in Florida, our nights get downright sticky some parts of the year.

"rseagle" your comments seem to be very applicable to my situation. I believe we have the same 13500btu AC, would you confirm? Can you run AC and watch TV at the same time with the EU3000? I'd love to get the specifics of your situation!!

"williamb" your comments seem to be very applicable to my situation. Haven't stayed at fort wilderness yet, but I hear it's real nice. We may take my niece. I'm a little confused about what you're plugging into the female L14-30R. And do you mean that the standard 120v 20amp outlet on the generator runs your AC and other stuff? That outlet can only produce 2400 running watts (VxA=W). You should have the same AC as me (13500btu) and I think it draws at least 2000W running. Add a TV (300W) and you're right at the max on that outlet w/o any lights. Am I way off?

"cosmotini" and "Bill M" Thanks for the tip on Kipor and the powerupdepot! I will definitely look at these more closely!!
Old 12-22-2005, 12:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
kstampa ----not to keep harping on the construction style gererators but to answer one of your questions. That type of generator is not acceptable even in generator use areas. -----Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:18 PM   #16
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet FWIW (for what its worth)

kstampa,

My EU3000 runs on 'Economy' with only a slight temporary 'bump' in RPM when the AC cycles. So, if 3600 RPM is full load operation, then, unless I turn off the 'Economy' switch, it runs at about 1/2 or 2/3 of that speed. I am connected to the 30A side of outlets with my trailer umbilical.

Further, I will have two 110V / 100W halogen lights & a television in operation, and the Univolt is in constant draw while in full operation. Only the microwave will place a full load on the gen while the other stuff is online.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:48 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weirton , West Virginia
Wink

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 4000 watt generator from a local hardware (construction grade... but it makes only about half the noise I get from my Lawnboy mower) for $275 because it was the "floor model" (never ran, didn't even have oil or gas init yet and came with the same factory warrenty). It was made by Buffalo Tools. I am very satisfied with it and no one has ever complained about it being to noisy. I guess it depends on when you run it to charge your battery, cook (microwave etc.) or cool out the AS. I suppose if you planned on running it constantly till the wee hours of the night, it would be offensive to someone including me. I don't think I could have done any better for the money, no it's not top of the line name brand, but it is more than capable of supplying my needs on a temporary basis camping, remote construction projects or emergency use at home! I say it's up to how much you want to spend and how often you may need to use a generator while camping that should dictate what you buy.

http://www.electricgeneratorstore.com/btgen4065.html
wannabefulltime'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:30 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

tampa , Florida
thanks for the support "wannabefulltime'n". Unfortunately my experience in generator camping is extrememly limited (only 1 camp site), but I don't want to buy anything I regret later.

RE Kipor here's sopme interesting stuff on that generator on RV.net:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...8.cfm#16733588
Old 12-22-2005, 03:02 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Cool kstampa

I know what you mean about buying something you will regret: been there and done that many times.

I'm not saying the Honda EU2000i is what you should get, but that choice has worked well for me. To make the overall price of two less painful, I purchased the first one, and then the second a year later. I made my own connection to have the two work together for less than $20, so my total for the two was around $2000. I like the flexibility of using just one [unless two are required], and since they are not heavy, getting them out and putting them away is not too demanding for an old man like me.

I have a box mounted on the tongue of the trailer behind the LP tanks that I made to carry one, and the other I keep in the back of the truck until I need it. We usually boondock at higher [therefore cooler] elevations in the summer, so I don't use the second one very often.

If you needed one to run AC most of the time, then a single, more powerful [quiet] generator would be best, especially if you can keep it in your truck and run it from there so you don't need to unload it every time you use it.

If you intend to do most or all of your camping in specifically known locations, then just buying the most for the least for those locations will probably be just right.
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
Old 12-22-2005, 04:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstampa
"rseagle" your comments seem to be very applicable to my situation. I believe we have the same 13500btu AC, would you confirm? Can you run AC and watch TV at the same time with the EU3000? I'd love to get the specifics of your situation!!
The EU-3000is will start a 13.5K AC, but you have to be careful that nothing else is on. As for the TV, once the AC starts the amp requirement drops considerably, so it might be possible to run a small TV. I guess it depends on the TV. I would recommend a portable DC TV. We have a 9" Toshiba AC/DC DVD Combo that we plug into the DC outlet. It draws off the battery, which is being charged from the generator even while the AC is running. It works for us.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote