Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #61

Apopka , Florida
newbie here

We are looking to purchase a 69ish trailer.

We are temporarily going to use it on our farm; but, I do know our septic cleanout is inside our house (a remodel done before we purchased it put enclosed a room outside of the septic cleanout).

What are some suggestions for emptying the toilet if I can't run a hose to the cleanout.
casicielo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
In the old days, Airstreams just had a hole in the bottom of a trailer that the material dropped through to a hole in the ground.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:16 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
It should be pretty easy. Find the outlet from the house to the tank. Cut a section out, and add in a connector to a clean out plug at the surface. I have one in my front yard near my drive. I also have a 30 amp RV outlet in my garage. This allows me to run my refrigerator and air conditioner. I don't store it there permanently, but use it before and after trips.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstart View Post
does everyone have this? how to start looking? should i start from the sewer stack in the house and walk out to the road, looking along that straight line? Our sewer stack is at the back and i am thinking it would go out to the side road but it's strange that I have never noticed it - been here ten years and have dug up a lot of "stuff" including the weeping tile etc. Would it go under the house to the front?
No everyone doesn't have this. If you have a basement, it is likely there. Unfortunately, mine is in the exact center of the house. Not willing to risk a spill in the basement.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #65

Apopka , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrosti View Post
In the old days, Airstreams just had a hole in the bottom of a trailer that the material dropped through to a hole in the ground.
i was wrong. its a 1973 la grand

we haven't bought it yet; but, i'm thinking of things i know i'm going to need to solve.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by casicielo View Post

We are temporarily going to use it on our farm; but, I do know our septic cleanout is inside our house (a remodel done before we purchased it put enclosed a room outside of the septic cleanout).

What are some suggestions for emptying the toilet if I can't run a hose to the cleanout.
Find the cesspool or septic tank underground in your yard someplace, and "Y" into the horizontal run going out there from the house. Very simple, assuming you are not tied into a municipal sewer system.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:36 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
My house has a front drive way adjacent to where our sewage plumbing goes out to the street but I couldn't find a sewer cleanout. We had a plumber over for another job and asked hime to find the sewer cleanout. There is none. $600 to add one. So I use a 5 gallon bucket to clean out a few gallons of black tank. Walk through the garage to the the powder room and dump. Repeat as needed.

I wonder if I got a Sewer Solution if I could run the hose to the toilet in the powder room? Would that work?

Kelvin
Old 03-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
That would work but monitor the flow very carefully, so as not to overflow the toilet!

Do you have any access to your waste plumbing in a basement or crawl space? Or are you on a slab maybe? Surprising there is no clean out IMO.

Do you have a vertical exterior vent where your septic line goes out to the street? It might be possible to adapt that for your limited needs.

Good luck!

Peter
Old 03-21-2017, 04:56 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Our house has a crawl space and the plumber verified the sewer pipe exited adjacent to our front driveway. There is no way to access the pipe in the crawl space due to concrete slap and brick. Would be more cost effective to have a sewer clean out installed in the flowerbed next to the driveway.

If I stuffed the Sewer Solution hose down the toilet maybe it would self drain like when I dump 3 gallons of black water waste from my 5 gallon bucket. Guess the wife gets to help

Kelvin
Old 03-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Is there a small sink and vanity cabinet in the powder room? I would be inclined to create a new connection under the sink at the trap, so that you can use a hose-thread connection for the hose coming from the trailer. [The discharge from that Sewer Solution unit runs through a standard hose, doesn't it?] With good washers the discharge would not be open-ended into the toilet.

Kudos to your wife for assistance on this one!

PS -- Not sure about connection details, but the user reviews and Q&A suggest a 3/4" ID hose is used, so I am assuming that the end connections are standard garden hose threads:

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-SS25...C9EW3WRVFPCB46

PS2 -- Possible help here -- no time to read during 10-minute edit window!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...lt-139751.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...on-136295.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...on-128047.html

PS 3 -- oops been there done that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I'd like to use a SS at home to drain my waste tanks rather than take a dozen trips to the powder room toilet with a 5 gal bucket. Can't find the darn sewer clean out for my house.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:39 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I had my old clay sewer pipe collapse, so the plumber ran a new section of 4" PVC. In that he put two clean outs just at ground level.

I was thinking I'd have him run another section of 4" PVC with a clean out to the area by the garage and I'd be good to go.

Remember, **** flows downhill. Don't plan on draining into something higher than your trailer fitting.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:42 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
When I was renovating my AS, I found a clean out in one of the vent stacks. So I'll just drain my black tank directly into that clean out, problem solved!!

Now if I could figure out how to make my truck run off poop...
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #73
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

PS -- Not sure about connection details, but the user reviews and Q&A suggest a 3/4" ID hose is used, so I am assuming that the end connections are standard garden hose threads:
I just bought Sewer Solution parts - not the complete kit with included hose. The fitting on both ends are simple slide ons, not threaded. I bought a heavy duty 3/4" Farm & Ranch garden hose. I plan to cut the ends off and use for other purposes (connect SS to water supply and to black tank rinse fitting). The center section of the hose will have common stainless screw clamps to hold it onto the SS fittings.

So OP could make up a similar hose with whatever fittings are needed to safely dump. Though if the OP is on a septic system, could you run the hose directly to the septic tank? There has to be a cover to allow clean-outs. I've seen a suggestion that to cover longer distances, just get some larger diameter PVC to make the run.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Yes, there is a sink in the vanity room with a cabinet. Is there such a trap piece that has a threaded hose connection built in to it?

Kelvin
Old 03-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Yes, there is a sink in the vanity room with a cabinet. Is there such a trap piece that has a threaded hose connection built in to it?

Kelvin
Not that I know of. The suggestion I made will require some monkeying around to work, and you may not have room under the sink to accomplish it. An experienced plumber would know more. I just did not like the idea of the Sewer Solution hose dumping (open-ended) in the toilet, even if you stick it down a ways. Seems like an accident waiting to happen, and with your conjugal assistant holding the end of the hose . . . .

Well you get the drift!

Old 03-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:

Kelvin
If you have the room under the sink to redo the trap you could always add a T out of the wall and use a PVC garden hose adapter with a reducing bushing. You can probably find it at a local hardware store. You will also want a cap for the garden hose port. I made the same sort of thing on a sump pump so I could drop it in the pool and then use a standard garden hose to pump the water level down over the winter months.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:02 AM   #77

Apopka , Florida
Quote:
i was wrong. its a 1973 la grand

we haven't bought it yet; but, i'm thinking of things i know i'm going to need to solve.
We are having to pass. But, if anyone happens to be near 32712 there is a 1973 Avion La Grand for $800

It's in original condition. hot water heater doesn't work and smells pretty musty inside of it so likely has some roof leaks.

it isn't pretty....but, I think a good price.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:48 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:

Living on farm has a solution. Why not back up to field away from your house or neighbors? Pull plug, empty tanks? IMO no dif. than barn waste, also our area sewage plant sludge is spread on farm fields. I have dumped this way since 1960s, several hundred feet from house w/out any smells at house.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:28 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Ejector system

My plan underway is to use a buried sewage ejector system pumped to a Y I installed in the sewer main between my house and the septic tank. I started this to allow for a full time hookup that could be rented to a trailer owner looking for part time living situation, that fell apart and have since purchased my own trailer that I intend to set as semi permenant to possibley rent as a BnB or just use as a guest space.
The ejector systems can be bought as a packaged unit for under $600 and most of my work will just be trenching for the 2" pumped line from trailer site/dump location to the septic Y branch as well as electricity from my panel.
What I also added in the sewer main when I replaced it and added the Y branch was a sewer check valve so that the pumped line could not flow back into the house if anything down stream became plugged.
This is what makes me nervous in some of the previous posts about pumping into a sink drain or worse yet a P trap, anything obstructing that small 1-1/4" P trap or the 2" drain downstream and you have a mess coming out of your sink.
http://www.supplyhouse.com/P382LE41-...0F-xoC1lnw_wcB
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote