Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
post hole digger... neighbors flower bed....Gopher hole... the mind is a-wash in possibilities
Really, a typical septic tank has to deal with bathtubs full-o-stuff on a regular basis....
I think Cousin Eddie had the best method...don't ask, don't tell
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #42
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytwo1994 View Post
This photo shows a cleanout addition.

http://undergroundservicesfirst.net/images/Picture6.jpg

Carol
Yeah, see up here, like Minno said, that won't fly. Water (and sanitary sewage) has to be four feet below grade, minimum, or the pipes will freeze as solid as a rock for certain sure.

Sewage cleanouts are all indoors here.

Somehow, I just can't see this whole idea. In my book, a transfer point for sewage needs to be able to sop up any mistakes, and I'm trying to imagine my driveway in that light, but it just doesn't fly for me, like I say.
But whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

By the way, it's definitely NOT something I would hide from anyone, much less the city. You don't want to get into their bad books through something like this, and being sneaky only compounds the issue if they happen to stumble across it. Those folks can make life miserable, if they think you are trying to pull something over on them.

Just my opinion, maybe things are different down where you all live...
Old 05-07-2009, 11:22 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I would not put my black tank down my washer drain. If you experienced any clog in that line, it could be a major problem.

You should have a plumbing clean-out somewhere out in your yard along the line to the sewer in the street. It should be a capped 4" pvc line at ground level.

Brian

Brian gave you good advice.

Three plumbers in my family. Basic rules for professional plumbers: "Hot's on the left, cold is on the right, the boss is an SOB, payday is on Friday and SH** doesn't run uphill" Just add it doesn't run uphill - except when there's a clog downstream!

The outside sewer cleanout is THE best place to drain it. You won't need to put in any additional plumbing or backflow protection. It will be a white PVC piece if your house has been built later than the 1970's. Older houses usually have a PVC cleanout. If you have one built prior to 1920 the cast Iron stops just outside of the foundation and you may have the dreaded terra cotta drains - which all collapse due to root invasion splitting them or else collapse because when you moved in you drove the moving van up over them to get the furniture to the front porch (ask me how I know That!). Most old houses have had the old terra cotta replaced... I know I replace mine - to the tune of $1400 in 1983 dollars.

Paula
Old 05-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
N. E. Ohio

I grew up not far from Cleveland. Lived in a house that was built in the 1930's. It did have cast iron drain stacks in the basement and had the only cleanout there. I remember seeing it getting snaked out when I was a little girl - tree roots got into the drain which was probably also cast iron. When newer "slab" houses were built without basements, there were outside cleanouts. - The plumbers extended the "Y" for the cleanout plug by several feet by using a piece of PVC pipe and some threaded end pieces. The process of snaking drains remained the same. The cleanout pipe itself was full of air (or gas!). The main pipe was laid down at least 4 feet into the ground.

Interestingly my old house in Norfolk had a cleanout in the english basement (half underground half above) that was AT GRADE. There was also one just outside of the foundation line about 8 inches below grade, AND there was one at the edge of the street where the city became responsible for repairs... Naturally, my terra cotta line collapsed between the front of the house and the sidewalk.

Paula
Old 05-08-2009, 04:23 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeleon View Post
Hello all,
Let me add my two sheets in to he topic. For those who think dumping in the septic would oevr fill your system faster think of this. For a family of 4 who use the bathroom twice a day will have 8 flushes. that 1.6 to 3.0 gallons of water going into the septic. A seven day vaction would be 12.8 to 24 gallons you wont be using. Before you go on a vacation use rid-x in your system. Then when you come back your septic should be ready for your waste cleaning. I am on a septic and envy those with city sewer lines. But I dont envy the extra bill with the sewer line.
The potential problem with a septic system is not overfilling the tank , the tank is always full . A septic tank usually has 3 chambers which are 3 stages of the solids breaking down to liquid form before it enters the absorbtion field .If solids are pushed out the outlet it will plug up the field and the system will start to fail . Probablly 20 or 30 gals will not be a problem ,depending on the health of your system , however , if you happen to have a few trailers in a row dump it could be a problem . This does not apply to a public sewer system.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:39 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i think most holding tanks hold less than a full bath tub
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:16 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I bougt a cleanout plug adapeter for the stinky slinky in the RV section at Wal-Mart a couple of years ago. Screw it all together, open the valve, rinse out the tank with some fresh water, and reverse the procedure. No mess, no hassle.
BTW, I've always used channel-lock pliers for the cap. I was also told years ago by a plumber to NEVER tighten an outdoor cleanout plug more than just sitting the cap on it and letting a couple of threads grab. I found out that he was right a couple of years back. The sewer system in our neighborhood was damaged by a heavy truck running over a line that wasn't buried deep enough. Line backed up quickly and while my neigbors got an UGLY surprise in their drains, my cleanout plug just blew off and the city had to clean up the mess in my yard. Everyone else had to deal with sewage filled sinks and bathtubs.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:46 AM   #48
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Yeah, see up here, like Minno said, that won't fly. Water (and sanitary sewage) has to be four feet below grade, minimum, or the pipes will freeze as solid as a rock for certain sure.

Sewage cleanouts are all indoors here.

Somehow, I just can't see this whole idea. In my book, a transfer point for sewage needs to be able to sop up any mistakes, and I'm trying to imagine my driveway in that light, but it just doesn't fly for me, like I say.
But whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

By the way, it's definitely NOT something I would hide from anyone, much less the city. You don't want to get into their bad books through something like this, and being sneaky only compounds the issue if they happen to stumble across it. Those folks can make life miserable, if they think you are trying to pull something over on them.

Just my opinion, maybe things are different down where you all live...
Yup...frost line is about 3" As far as making a mess, if you use something like a Sewer Solution system the odds of making a mess are fairly low. I have seen some pretty ugly messes when they dump a restaurant dumpster and the compactor truck is running down the road

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:06 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
My septic tank is 2000 gallons so I can't see why another 30 gallons would make a difference. My daughter used to take marathon baths that would drain one of our 50 gallon hot water tanks and then some.

As was stated before, if you dump into a home septic system make sure your don't use any tank chemicals that contain formaldahyde as it will kill the bacteria that break down the crud.

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
bolinas , California
Greetings: We have created a small ancillary septic tank system for our longer term parking spot for our trailer. We are hoping to gain experience from our new Forum friends about creating a workaround perhaps bypassing the black tank for direct drop to our new system? Or what experience have others had in making longer term connections and what do people find are the most desirable longer term plumbing ways when the trailer goes off-site only 1-2X per year and is used on-site mostly. With thanks in advance
bol-gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
here is one of mine

I have this one available at the barn/shop. Do not use formaldahyde in the chemicals added to the tanks...it kills the septic tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home dump.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	80069  
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:57 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
bolinas , California
puzzled

Thanks for the picture..Regretably I don't understand what it signifies..It looks like a long length of water hose and a high galvy hose bib and how that might be related to anything of septic/sewer connection is outside of my frame of reference

thanks
bol-gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bol-gordon View Post
Greetings: We have created a small ancillary septic tank system for our longer term parking spot for our trailer. We are hoping to gain experience from our new Forum friends about creating a workaround perhaps bypassing the black tank for direct drop to our new system? Or what experience have others had in making longer term connections and what do people find are the most desirable longer term plumbing ways when the trailer goes off-site only 1-2X per year and is used on-site mostly. With thanks in advance
Welcome to the forums! You're in the very best place for all things Airstream...and lots of friendly and helpful folks...

As to by by-passing your black tank... Here's my take: I wouldn't bother unless the unit is to remain off the road permanently). The easiest and best way to deal with long term stays is to go ahead and use the black water holding tank as you normally would with any other hookup situation... Do not leave the black tank drain valve open all the time while connected, however. Let the black tank get to 3/4 full or so before dumping so that there is enough liquid built to flush out the solids. Then dump the built up grey water so that it somewhat "rinses" the sewer hose. (You can also refill the black tank with fresh water and do a second or third dump to make sure alll the solids are gotten rid of.) The reason for not leaving the dump valve open all the time is that if you do, the liquids will drain out immediately and the solids will be left behind building up a nasty mess that is difficult to clean out (sometimes called "black hills"). Not a pretty picture. The only way to provide enough water to hook up directly to the septic tank (and by-pass the black tank) is to install a standard flushing household toilet...as they provide the required water for flushing through... You probably don't want to install a household toilet if you travel with the unit at all, as you would have to undo that when traveling if you planned to use the toilet.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:31 AM   #54
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I have used the FloJet RV sewage pump at home for 3 years. I installed a 1-1/2" drain line on the outside of the house. The drain inlet is about 18" above the sewer connection on the trailer, no problem with the lift. I have a short article "Dump at Home" about my installation posted at:
WBCCI Wisconsin Unit » Reference Articles
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Pittsford , New York
Had the plumber out to my house who confirmed the PVG waste vent that sits right next to my airstream (about 3 ft off the ground and terminates in an easy to unscrew screen) will work just fine as a waste slot and the FloJet sewage pump worked like a charm. Ran some extra clean h20 down the vent after emptying (as advised by the plumber) and no problems at all. Thanks to all for your hints, photos, ideas, etc.
TG2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:55 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Pittsford , New York
Here are a few photos of my final set-up

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/BROSENTHAL/Desktop/Airstream/FloJet.JPG[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/BROSENTHAL/Desktop/Airstream/FloJet.JPG[/IMG]The flojet hooked to the airstream and the hose running into the sewer vent outlet in my house. All in all, it was easy to set-up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FloJet.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	571.3 KB
ID:	80158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Home Dump.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	80159  

TG2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:48 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Huntley , Illinois
Thumbs up Don't go in there!!! for about 20 minutes or so

How do you like your flojet, I am very tempted into buying one as soon as I can. I have a 76 Argosy and I am a newbie. Because I have it for just two weeks now.
ardeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
No outside cleanout, so I pulled an Uncle Eddy a few weeks ago... only the grey, but it had been holding for about a month, and smelled something fierce... a couple walking through the 'hood were horrified, and promptly called the police on me.

Actually... I'm not sure if they called to report me dumping in the storm, or for standing in the street wearing a too small, threadbare robe...
Old 06-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
No outside cleanout, so I pulled an Uncle Eddy a few weeks ago... only the grey, but it had been holding for about a month, and smelled something fierce... a couple walking through the 'hood were horrified, and promptly called the police on me.

Actually... I'm not sure if they called to report me dumping in the storm, or for standing in the street wearing a too small, threadbare robe...
Sorry Officer...Dang refried beans...I was just waterin' the yard...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
of course, there wasn't any snow on the ground...