Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
One TP mound was enough!! We switched to the "use and throw away" approach to TP. We keep a small trash can with a foot operated lid, lined with a plastic trash bag to dispose of TP. We haven't put TP in the black tank for over 25 years, and thus have not had a clog.
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:53 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdfred View Post
One TP mound was enough!! We switched to the "use and throw away" approach to TP. We keep a small trash can with a foot operated lid, lined with a plastic trash bag to dispose of TP. We haven't put TP in the black tank for over 25 years, and thus have not had a clog.
This is the same strategy I used on my boat toilet for 15 years. Plan on doing the same on the AS.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Back in the 60s I maintained a laundromat in Princeton frequented by students from the College and the Institute For Advanced Study. I have often thought about writing a book about those years and the complete lack of common sense demonstrated by the clientele. The woman who used a Full box of Tide in one washer, the one that put a frozen wash basket of clothing in the dryer, the one that pushed a grocery cart over my legs as I was removing a motor from a washer and question why I was in her way, and those, and there were many, who washed feather pillows in a machine. I will give a little insight to my book in that is a pillow may survives the washer, and that is unlikely, but it did not survive the dryer. I may laugh now but not then.

Now getting closer to the topic at hand. Those were the days of reusable diapers. All too many thought the washer would do the job so why rinse them before putting them in the washer. I now see that some of my old clientele are still out there. Now I don't want to bust anyone bubble but there is no way you are ever going to get the inside of your black water tank "streak free". You are not even going to get it clean so drain it and forget it.

For those that have not replaced one of both of their tanks let me caution you to this fact. The gray tank is much worst than the black tank, so be forewarned.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
The OP states that "it never used to happen" so I suspect he changed brands of TP or the manufacturer changed the TP's characteristics.

Try any of the single ply toilet papers -- Charmin Basic, Scott ... Pretty much anything other than what you have been using and see what happens.

It isn't rocket science.

Miske
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #25
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Has no one else noticed that the OP didn't have a problem with dumping, but rather that the TP was stuck in the tube leading from the toilet to the black tank? He stated he was using a stick to push it down. I suspect not enough water, or the valve is not opening all the way.

Interesting how these threads veer off topic so quickly.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeca View Post
Has no one else noticed that the OP didn't have a problem with dumping, but rather that the TP was stuck in the tube leading from the toilet to the black tank? He stated he was using a stick to push it down. I suspect not enough water, or the valve is not opening all the way.

Interesting how these threads veer off topic so quickly.
The original post is below. It does not say anything about TP stuck in the tube.

As you say, "Interesting . . . "

And we wonder how things go off-topic . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlacounte View Post
Why does the black water tank on my 2007 25fb jam up with tp directly below the toilet? Always plenty of water. I have to use a stick to clear it out. Never used to happen.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:23 PM   #27
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I read the OP's first post to mean his toilet paper was clogging up before it got to the tank, which meant to me either he wasn't using enough water or maybe should try a courtesy flush mid dump.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Use more water, buy a bag of ice, put it in and drive to next campground. Also use septic safe or RV TP.
COSTCO's 'Kirkland' works fine for me.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:24 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
When we were in same space for two months last winter, we had the same problem with paper building up right below the toilet. I started filling the toilet with water and dropping all at once. That helped some. Then, I finally got a clean hose and filled the toilet with water and we dumped. Did this about three times to get mostly clean water coming out. Then, I discovered that the shower hose/wand easily reaches the toilet so will be much easier in the future. Out of 10 rigs, this is the first we have had this problem with--design, I guess. Did use a stick, too, before doing the big water dump. Using a plastic bag in covered wastebasket for pee paper also helps, obviously.
horseylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:32 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Airstream waste systems are not designed to work in a unit parked for any length of time. Agitation of contents while driving is crucial. Accumulation of TP is basically operator error.

Yes, it can be dealt with as suggested, but it is important to recognize that this is not a design defect.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:02 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Black water tank is jammed with tp

Back when black water tanks were smaller (12-20 gallon) I don't believe there were as many problems. The tanks were not 4"-5" deep and spread out between the frame rails.
The BW tank in my Argosy is 12 gallon and is above the floor. It is bottom discharge, not side discharge. It is about 8" deep a foot wide and maybe 3' long. It also has a sloped bottom.
After dumping the tank I can see the bottom of the tank and it is clean.
IMHO the wide flat tanks contribute to the build up issue. If one were to poor a gallon of water in a 3'x3' square flat bottom tank the liquid level might be 1/2". That is in 9 square feet. Now pour the same amount in a tank 3'x1'or 3 square feet. Now you have a 1 1/2" liquid level in comparison. Multiply this by several uses and you have a much higher liquid level which aids in keeping the solids submerged. It also aids in a higher head pressure when dumping.
I do believe there is a design flaw with the use of tanks with large flat bottoms.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:35 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
. . .
I do believe there is a design flaw with the use of tanks with large flat bottoms.
Respectfully disagree per earlier posts. Airstreams were never designed to be stationary units with residential waste piping.

Period.

Anyone who is having problems only needs to hook up the trailer and go on the road again, as was intended for the design.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:09 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Airstream waste systems are not designed to work in a unit parked for any length of time. Agitation of contents while driving is crucial. Accumulation of TP is basically operator error.

Yes, it can be dealt with as suggested, but it is important to recognize that this is not a design defect.
There is absolutely nothing unique to the design of an Airstream sewage system. They use off the shelf tanks the same as every other RV manufacture. They are all sloped bottom tanks.

There are 2 factors that commonly cause the problem of toilet paper build up, commonly know as the Brown Mound. The first being campers that park in a sewer site with their black water dump valve open. There is a little more management required on the part of the camper other than flushing and walking away. The second is the fault of the manufacture who has designed a trailer with the toilet on the curb side of the trailer. This results in the water outrunning the solids, on the slope of the tank, when flushed.

The first issue can be managed the second can not, other than realizing never to buy another trailer so designed. No amount of exotic products, additional water, or wishful thinks will eliminate the second.

This all takes me back to the 1964 International, held here in Princeton. 4,000 trailer parked on a farm field without water, electric, or sewer. My in-laws visited that Rally and promptly went out and bought an Airstream. I never saw my father in law as happy as he was the Christmas he got his own post hole digger. We have come a long way but we are not there yet.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Shake, shake, shake... shake your Doodie!

A 1970's moment - a good hint about ways to move "mountains"

crank up the stabilizer jacks - and use your tongue jack up and down several times to gently create "surf" in the black or gray tank. Add extra warm water and detergent if desired. Repeat if necessary. And yes you CAN stick a high pressure hose down the toilet to blast the pile - but don't get too enthusiastic - ricochets are possible.

Bombing the target can work too. Get the biggest bucket you can lift, open the toilet drain and bombs away! that might not do it all, but you can repeat if you want. I'm personally not a huge fan of ice cubes - they float over any crap that's there unless there is zero water in the tank. I have used rid-x for years - even before they came out with a special formula (ptoohie) for RV's. Face it, doodie is doodie wherever it accumulates. Water and natural bacteria break it down the same way at pretty much the same rate - and lots of water is more effective than lots of chemical. Enzymes do a lot to alleviate that rotten celery smell.

I've also noted that when I don't have hookups and have to dump shower water down the toilet - that lots of gray water dumped in a relative hurry will bust up any hint of hills. And definitely traveling for 100 miles with a tank half full will really agitate both the gray and black tanks leading to a much more thorough flush.

Never used the plastic bag for paper trick, but once assisted a woman who used the toilet for disposable diapers! No one told her each one would absorb about 7 lbs of water on top of the contents of the diaper. It took a plastic cement mixing box from Home Depot, the use of an awning tool, followed by a sewer snake and generous amounts of water added from above to get the mess out. The woman who wasn't paying me, expected ME to do the "fishing" but I responded that it was HER RV, her child and her mistake, and if she wanted the mess cleaned up before her husband found out about it, she had two choices (1) do it herself or (2) spend a LOT of money to have a septic tank service Vaccuum it- and possibly damage the dump or toilet seals.

(You gonna make that kind of mess, sweetheart, you better not get pukey - lessen you wanna 'nother mess to wipe up.)
Old 05-16-2016, 05:50 PM   #35
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'm surprised that I have not yet seen anyone recommend any backflush method. I use a device marketed as FlushKing. It is very simply a gate valve that attaches to your waste tank discharge. It has a hose attachment and it allows you to shut down the outflow at the discharge and rapidly fill your waste tank allowing strong head pressure to facilitate dumping. I don't use it at every dump ( but you certainly could ) but I do use it several times a season and for sure if my trailer is going to sit awhile between trips. It has a clear outlet so you can even enjoy the show while insuring the final dumps are somewhat cleaner liquids. I find little to no bad odors and no blockages. At least none yet that is. Water, and lots of it, are your friend in this unpleasant process.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:25 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
Back flush method works well as long as you don't go off and forget about it. Our last fifth wheel had a system built in but I still stood inside and watched, just to make sure. The method we used worked fine with sewer hookup and plenty of water. We have to assume that only the newest rvers leave the black valve open AND I don't believe that Airstreams are meant to only stay on the road! It's all doable and it's not that hard.
horseylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:29 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
KC & The Sunshine Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
A 1970's moment - a good hint about ways to move "mountains"

crank up the stabilizer jacks - and use your tongue jack up and down several times to gently create "surf" in the black or gray tank. Add extra warm water and detergent if desired. Repeat if necessary. And yes you CAN stick a high pressure hose down the toilet to blast the pile - but don't get too enthusiastic - ricochets are possible.

Bombing the target can work too. Get the biggest bucket you can lift, open the toilet drain and bombs away! that might not do it all, but you can repeat if you want. I'm personally not a huge fan of ice cubes - they float over any crap that's there unless there is zero water in the tank. I have used rid-x for years - even before they came out with a special formula (ptoohie) for RV's. Face it, doodie is doodie wherever it accumulates. Water and natural bacteria break it down the same way at pretty much the same rate - and lots of water is more effective than lots of chemical. Enzymes do a lot to alleviate that rotten celery smell.

I've also noted that when I don't have hookups and have to dump shower water down the toilet - that lots of gray water dumped in a relative hurry will bust up any hint of hills. And definitely traveling for 100 miles with a tank half full will really agitate both the gray and black tanks leading to a much more thorough flush.

Never used the plastic bag for paper trick, but once assisted a woman who used the toilet for disposable diapers! No one told her each one would absorb about 7 lbs of water on top of the contents of the diaper. It took a plastic cement mixing box from Home Depot, the use of an awning tool, followed by a sewer snake and generous amounts of water added from above to get the mess out. The woman who wasn't paying me, expected ME to do the "fishing" but I responded that it was HER RV, her child and her mistake, and if she wanted the mess cleaned up before her husband found out about it, she had two choices (1) do it herself or (2) spend a LOT of money to have a septic tank service Vaccuum it- and possibly damage the dump or toilet seals.

(You gonna make that kind of mess, sweetheart, you better not get pukey - lessen you wanna 'nother mess to wipe up.)

Thanks for the laugh and sound doodie advice. Love KC and his Sunshine Band. I actually saw them perform once.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:44 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
Thanks for the laugh and sound doodie advice. Love KC and his Sunshine Band. I actually saw them perform once.
OT -- Apologies for the side trip --

Foiled -- "Shake Shake Shake -- Shake your Doodie"

Ok I finally got the reference . . .

However the process pooped me out!

Thanks for the laughs too . . .

Peter
Old 05-20-2016, 08:28 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
When my trailer is not in use I keep the tank full of water with a larger amount of black tank treatment in it.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:04 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlacounte View Post
Why does the black water tank on my 2007 25fb jam up with tp directly below the toilet? Always plenty of water. I have to use a stick to clear it out. Never used to happen.

Has your diet changed? Eat more fruit, vegetables and beans. It works for me.