Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1962 16' Bambi
1993 34' Excella
St. Thomas , Ontario
Hello & HELP with a jammed Electric Jack

Hi, I am just re-joining after awhile and I need some help right away. I am on the road with our 1971 A/S tradewind 25 and yesterday the new barker power jack got stuck up. It is only a month or so old and I have been using it on this trip nearly daily with no problems until yesterday. When retracting the jack I went all the way up until it racheted for only a split second and now it will not go back down. It sounds jammed. It will make the racheting sound both directions. So at the moment i cannot unhitch to get the trailer even to keep the fridge running or unhitch to run errands like groceries.
Does anyone have any ideas about getting this jack unjammed?
vintagemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Mike---Welcome back to the forums. Until real help arrives here, level the trailer by using your wood blocks. Either under the rear axle of the truck or under the trailer as the case dictates. Then order some food delivered to your campsite, enjoy the evening and proceed in the morning to the nearest RV repair shop.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
On top of the jack should be a plastic cap - remove thecap and there should be a place to put a wrench (socket with extenson) on the shaft and manualy free it up'
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Mike,

When I had my episode, I ran the jack all the way up - and then it blew a fuse. The fuse was the one on the far right, behind the panel behind my gaucho. Before replacing the fuse, I used the manual jack arm and turned it clockwise in order to lower the jack a little. Then I replaced the fuse, and all was sweetness and light.

Any chance you have the manual jack arm that should have come with your jack? I guess not, or you'd have said so.

Good luck. Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemike
Hi, I am just re-joining after awhile and I need some help right away. I am on the road with our 1971 A/S tradewind 25 and yesterday the new barker power jack got stuck up. It is only a month or so old and I have been using it on this trip nearly daily with no problems until yesterday. When retracting the jack I went all the way up until it racheted for only a split second and now it will not go back down. It sounds jammed. It will make the racheting sound both directions. So at the moment i cannot unhitch to get the trailer even to keep the fridge running or unhitch to run errands like groceries.
Does anyone have any ideas about getting this jack unjammed?
Sounds like the jack motor assembly is out of sync with the jack gearing.

Take the jack head off, and run it to one end.

Manually turn the jack to do the same thing.

Remount the jack motor to the jack, and the problem should be solved.

If not, you might have to repeat the operation to give the jack mechanism an additional couple of turns.

Use patience.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
And never believe in limit switches to tell you when to stop. Watch the sucker.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1962 16' Bambi
1993 34' Excella
St. Thomas , Ontario
Talking Power Jack fixed!

Thank you for the suggestions and insights. The jammed Barker Power Jack model 3000 was fixed in the following manner.
1. I removed the sets screws that attach the motor to the lift tube

2. I used the supplied emergency handle that fits in the slot on the top of the tube to manually turn the jack counterclockwise.
Now this was really really tight. I had to hit the handle with a 4 x 4 block of wood to make it give. Then it turned easy.
When that power head retracts it pulls the jack up hard. This is what jammed it. I will have to be very careful to watch when retracting the jack to not take it all the way to the top.
Thanks again for the help. It was all very useful.

Vintage Mike
vintagemike is offline   Reply With Quote