Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Darlington , South Carolina
1978 Sovereign plumbing issue

I have replaced the busted copper with PEX from the rear of trailer up to "hall" closet then up to kitchen. I have no leaks; however, my kitchen sink is not running water whereas the filtered drinking water faucet at the kitchen sink is?? Also, I have good water flow at the bathroom who is at rear of trailer (sink, shower & toilet all good). Anyone have ideas about what could be the issue with the kitchen sink faucet??
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Get your flashlight and start tracing pipes back to where the filtered water and the kitchen sink water meet. Then disconnect the sink faucet and see if water comes out when you turn the pump on. You should be able to narrow down the issue pretty quickly that way.

If you do plumbing like I do, there's probably some big chunk of pex lodged in the pipe.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
Get your flashlight and start tracing pipes back to where the filtered water and the kitchen sink water meet. Then disconnect the sink faucet and see if water comes out when you turn the pump on. You should be able to narrow down the issue pretty quickly that way.

If you do plumbing like I do, there's probably some big chunk of pex lodged in the pipe.

From where PEX ends to the faucet/filter there is only copper, only connections that can be disconnected is at the filter. Also, I do not use the water tanks/pumps just good ol water pressure. Have done it that way for 18 months without issue other than an initial leak I found at purchase. I'll try to post pics later.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435172635.791099.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	241497Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435172659.138268.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	241498Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435172694.736193.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	241499Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435172719.770520.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	241500

The first picture is of the sink faucet and filtered drinking water faucet. The second image is of the sink faucet attachment under the cabinet, notice all copper and no cut offs nor disconnects. The third picture is where I have ran PEX down to kitchen area from rear of trailer, yes that is a small piece of hose I opted to use in a pinch where the copper had swelled too much for the Sharkbite, note that initially both Sharkbite attachments leaked therefore I am getting water to this point. The final picture is of the water filter and where the cold water Tees off to go directly to sink faucet or to the filter.
I have left the sink faucet open for about 30 minutes in hopes that air was the problem; however, I am not hearing any air flow through the faucet either.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Sounds like the faucet may be an issue, if you don't get either hot water or cold water out. Have you tried removing the cartridge to see what happens? (With the city water off, needless to say)
Old 06-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
Sounds like the faucet may be an issue, if you don't get either hot water or cold water out. Have you tried removing the cartridge to see what happens? (With the city water off, needless to say)
I have taken the "top" off the sink faucet to ensure the "plunger was being pulled up, that is about as far as I have gone with the faucet. As you make can tell from my repairs that I am no plumber; however, I have changed a couple sinks out in the house but this one doesn't look to be so straight forward with the way the copper is plumbed into it on the bottom side.
This is our first camper so I am learning quickly; I am told that this is the original sink and faucet for this trailer. I assume the modern versions of faucets will not be plumbed with copper.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:57 PM   #7
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
You might try unscrewing the small screen filter on the end of the kitchen faucet arm. Sometimes debris in the line gets washed to the end of the line and blocks the outlet.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
You might try unscrewing the small screen filter on the end of the kitchen faucet arm. Sometimes debris in the line gets washed to the end of the line and blocks the outlet.

Tried that already but thanks! I have exhausted everything I can think of even beating on it in an attempt to loosen debris (what are chances that both hot & cold lines stopped with debris). I could take the unit apart but with my family set to pull out tomorrow morning (6/25), I am hesitant since I have good water supply at rear of trailer (bathroom).
Old 06-25-2015, 11:34 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
You've got a Delta faucet.

Remove the "joy stick" and the spigot will lift right off. Turn on the water and see what happens. I'll bet you've got a clog in there.

While you're in there, replace the seal and spring kit (under the joy stick); Ace Hdwe #4202552; Danco # DL-9 .

If you completely remove the faucet or disconnect the brass fittings under the kitchen sink, use Danco seal kit #88539.

Get Danco products at Lowe's.

Be sure to use plumber's grease.

McLendon Hardware in metro Seattle (Woodinville store has it for sure) has the complete faucet. They're an Ace Hdwe franchise.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I have had problems with delta lavatory faucet. First remove round plate in top of handle take out screw on top of knob or in stick handle, pull handle or knob off there is cartridge, remove e clip, it will probably take puller to remove for faucet this old as cartridge is brass and corrodes, but faucet is not damaged. I replaced cartridge now water works fine. You do not have to take faucet out or dismantle any thing as it's easy fix. any Q. google as how to replace delta faucet cartridge, very good instructions, and easy to do.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:13 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKirk View Post

Remove the "joy stick" and the spigot will lift right off. Turn on the water and see what happens. I'll bet you've got a clog in there.

While you're in there, replace the seal and spring kit (under the joy stick); Ace Hdwe #4202552; Danco # DL-9 .

If you completely remove the faucet or disconnect the brass fittings under the kitchen sink, use Danco seal kit #88539.

McLendon Hardware in metro Seattle (Woodinville store has it for sure) has the complete faucet. They're an Ace Hdwe franchise.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I have had problems with delta lavatory faucet. First remove round plate in top of handle take out screw on top of knob or in stick handle, pull handle or knob off there is cartridge, remove e clip, it will probably take puller to remove for faucet this old as cartridge is brass and corrodes, but faucet is not damaged. I replaced cartridge now water works fine. You do not have to take faucet out or dismantle any thing as it's easy fix. any Q. google as how to replace delta faucet cartridge, very good instructions, and easy to do.

My question is if I embark on this while we are camping and something goes awry as often happens in my plumbing repair attempts, will I create a leak to the point that water supply at rear of trailer suffers?

Nonetheless, there is a Camping World in close proximity to the campsite that I could visit over the weekend when I get back to the family after having to be away for work. Also, I think there is an ACE nearby as well and I will watch the YouTube videos for instruction/insight before attempting.

Thank you both for your valuable input, it is much appreciated!
Old 06-25-2015, 04:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
78 plumbing issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrussjr View Post
My question is if I embark on this while we are camping and something goes awry as often happens in my plumbing repair attempts, will I create a leak to the point that water supply at rear of trailer suffers?

Nonetheless, there is a Camping World in close proximity to the campsite that I could visit over the weekend when I get back to the family after having to be away for work. Also, I think there is an ACE nearby as well and I will watch the YouTube videos for instruction/insight before attempting.

Thank you both for your valuable input, it is much appreciated!
If you do not pull cartridge in faucet will not effect other faucets. Big box stores ie menards, lowes, home depot, other type of these stores will have items needed as carry delta parts, plus much less money than ACE Hardware.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:14 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Quote:
I believe you're talking about a Moen faucet in the bathroom sink (also in the shower, center bath). They're not the same as a Delta. Delta has no removable cartridge.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:05 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Quote:

Tom

Tom,

Just went by my Lowe's here in SC, could not find either of the items you mentioned, will try to get by an ACE Hardware this weekend.

Again, thanks!
Old 06-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Tom you are rite about moen and delta faucets, just mixed them up as have both in house, moen in AS. Delta entirely dif. inside.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
I believe you're talking about a Moen faucet in the bathroom sink (also in the shower, center bath). They're not the same as a Delta. Delta has no removable cartridge.

Tom

Quote:
Tom you are rite about moen and delta faucets, just mixed them up as have both in house, moen in AS. Delta entirely dif. inside.

After getting back home and having some time off work to focus on this issue, I find that the faucet is a Moen M7500 series. Everything I research and see with my eyes indicate a cartridge style faucet. However, I am now at a point where the cartridge doesn't pull out and am out of "YouTube" solutions! Any advice would be appreciated!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436642261.667359.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	242688Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436642279.950604.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	242689Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436642299.817233.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	242691Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436642328.617453.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	242692
Old 07-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
There are pullers for moen cartridges, you will have to research which one yours uses. Carts. are some times impossible to remove with out puller. Moen only lists 1 puller #104421, but there is old style puller and new style, Yours probably takes old style puller, maybe new style replaced old. I borrowed both from friend for lav. took old puller.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1978 Sovereign plumbing issue

Quote:
There are pullers for moen cartridges, you will have to research which one yours uses. Carts. are some times impossible to remove with out puller. I will check my source and see he no's proper puller.

Just removed the cartridge using 3 screwdrivers (my 2yr old son brought me the third "use this one too, Dad!") to twist the "seal" loose then it pulled out!

About to go to hardware for replacement cartridge, update to follow.

Thanks for your insight and help, it is appreciated!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436647563.835899.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	242700
Old 07-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Glad it worked, my friend moving to s.c. won't be able to borrow pullers again, so will try this next time.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:24 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Glad it worked, my friend moving to s.c. won't be able to borrow pullers again, so will try this next time.

This is the YouTube video that my son and I watched until around the 1:40 mark when our solution was revealed!

http://youtu.be/vGdExIS3b-o

Tags
sovereign