Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2015, 06:30 AM   #21
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
Steamy1: I have a Tundra (with a topper) that will be pulling a 25 foot International. How are the Sumo springs working for you when loaded down and hitched up? Are they 1000 pound springs? More information is appreciated. Thanks.
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by glcmranger View Post
Steamy1: I have a Tundra (with a topper) that will be pulling a 25 foot International. How are the Sumo springs working for you when loaded down and hitched up? Are they 1000 pound springs? More information is appreciated. Thanks.
I ordered: SSR-610-47

SumoSprings Solo Custom Helper Springs - Rear Axle - 1,500 lbs
from etrailer.

Much improved ride when the trailer with Equalizer Sway Control hitch was connected. took the somewhat "bouncy" sensation out of the vehicle. really helped with handling.
My Tundra is a CrewMax, and hitched up, with a topper, roof box, BBQ grill, Lafuma chairs, campfire-in-a-can, blueboy, misc tools, dog, wife, et al, I am about 300 pounds over the GVWR. I wanted to at least compensate with load range E tires and the Sumo springs.

Here is a picture of the Sumo Springs installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0597.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	253546  
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:00 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Olney , Illinois
sumo springs ordered :-)
next time around e tires for sure
you guys are the best
thor
thorusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Edit, as point has already been made.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:42 AM   #25
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
There are some other "Morals" here. When a sewing machine is a power tool, it often gets quilt maker duty. Quilts are personal and warm on a cold winter night. Not to mention they are great artistic décor. But the other point is that quilt makers quickly learn the value of tools. A quilt maker who values tools understands that tools are needed for other activities and knows that tools make wonderful gifts. Which brings us to Christmas. Which suggests several other colors of duct tape could be added to the pink stash. Red, green, silver, gold, and white all work well for the all important Christmas wrap. Pat
Wow.. a new idea (not serious).. how about a 'Duct tape quilt'... it is something a 'guy' can do?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:48 AM   #26
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Here is a nice addition... the cam locks I have used are the way to go..

https://www.etrailer.com/Plumbing/Li.../LC359724.html and you can cap the trailer end when storing.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:02 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thor, in reply to your general questions in the first post, I would suggest a thorough evaluation of your batteries, especially as colder winter sets in:

-- in service date
-- water level in each cell and specific gravity with hydrometer (correct term?)
-- confirm full charge coming from tow vehicle
-- battery readout correct on monitor
-- etc.

A lot of us who buy newish trailers assume that the batteries are OK, but it turns out that improper charging can ruin even a new battery quickly.

Bonnie's new thread We're Freezing is a recent one to consider, among the many many threads about newish battery problems:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...lp-144478.html

This sub-forum has other helpful threads:

http://www.airforums.com/foruums/f449/

Good luck with the new trailer!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Since tires have a time limited service life, especially the stock GYM ST tires, you should check the manufacture date on each tire sidewall. Our new 2014 Airstream had six month old tires installed by the factory. I was there when it was built and it arrived at the dealer about ten days after it was released from production. They were immediately replaced with 16" Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires and SenDel T03-66655T wheels.

Our end of model year 2015 23D built in September 2014 and delivered via truck to the dealer in early October had sat on their lot until July 2015 when I took delivery. The stock 14" GYM ST tires were eighteen months old. They were replaced before the trailer left the dealer lot with new 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires mounted on SenDel T03-56545T wheels. Tire issues really solved.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #29
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Wow.. a new idea (not serious).. how about a 'Duct tape quilt'... it is something a 'guy' can do?
Now you've gone and done it. Letting the world know that ANYTHING CAN BE DONE WITH DUCT TAPE kills the tool gift idea for Christmas. Nice try with the (not serious) but once the gift buyers see this, we are toast. And I so wanted that new fiber optic view camera (hint, hint, hint). Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #30
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Now on to serious stuff:

A surge protector for the electrical cord. While it may never be needed and may not work like it should when it is needed, the little test button lets you trip the power so you can disconnect trailer without going to the post to kill the breaker. Remove load or power before disconnect.

As Pro said, get a 50 to 30 amp adapter. Also get a 30 to 120, a trailer 30 twist lock to a 120, and .........well, there is probably another that one too.

Get a funnel, hose reducer, water jug with spout....some way to get water into the fresh water tank. Also get a second length of hose. It's a pain to have to move the trailer a few feet when the 20ft hose is too short. It's also a pain to haul out a longer hose when it is not needed 9 out of 10 times.

Get a clear sewer section. Really helps to see that the flush has worked. Really liked that cam lock system, going to have to check that out. There are some interesting solutions to handling the black water hose. Worth researching a bit. The nitrile gloves are a bit better quality and likely more sanitary than rubber gloves unless you wash the rubber frequently. Get an use a separate hose for black water flush operation.

Get a dedicated battery water container. Distilled water comes in gallon jugs and you will never need that much. A pint or quart bottle will work. Some type of dedicated funnel is a help as well.

Get a clear coat touch up kit. Your baby will get a scratch.

Get inside and outside mats, step covers, a short handle stiff brush to clean them and big garbage bags to pack them when you can't clean them first.

Get a small grease gun and refill cartridges. If your hitch does not need to be greased, the ball does. One of those reusable grocery bags (not the paper) can be used as a cover when not towing. A big garbage bag is a good idea when you load the hitch head in the trailer or TV.

And that is just a start. The folks who have been doing this for years have lots of great solutions. Keep asking.

Now who has a solution for formed dividers that fit the curves of the overhead compartments? Certainly, that is a need that someone has filled! Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I turned the power jack head 90 degrees, and now the tailgate on my F150 opens completely (thanks, Marcel @ Balloon Fiesta). . . be careful out there, Craig
Old 12-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #32
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
....One of those reusable grocery bags (not the paper) can be used as a cover when not towing....

A tennis ball works very well as a hitch ball cover to keep dirt and pant leg from contact with a greased ball. Cut a 1.5" circle and add four 1" slits 90 degrees apart to the opening and you are good to go. I use "lost tennis balls" that appear in my yard from the court nearby.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #33
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
A tennis ball works very well as a hitch ball cover to keep dirt and pant leg from contact with a greased ball.
Know what works even better? Neoprene sports bottle koozies turned upside down over the ball. No need to cut them like you do a tennis ball, just slip them on. But you have to get sports bottle koozies with the drawstring, not zippered beer bottle koozies. Save the beer bottle koozies for something important, such as beer.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Olney , Illinois
awesome as usual
Pat.. got mostly all what u said except water for the batteries
( got acm's :-)

Keep it coming though.... this is really helpful

Through years of sailing and used to have a 190 B I got most of the essentials, but want to make sure..lol

Thanks Thor
Old 12-09-2015, 11:15 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinManGa View Post
Hi from AZ. . . I turned the power jack head 90 degrees, and now the tailgate on my F150 opens completely (thanks, Marcel @ Balloon Fiesta). . . be careful out there, Craig
Great idea--gonna try it!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:01 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Olney , Illinois
turning power jack on my 27 fb doesn't work, the gasbottles are way forward due to the hatch and battery access behind them ....
in fact I have to really watch what I am doing with a flag holder. The sandlapper one wouldn't work
a cause I have the big motor hanging in front of the tube and not on its side, and the door of the truck needs to be open as well

thor