Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2015, 05:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
Gas/Carbon Monoxide Detector Replacement

We are replacing our Gas/Carbon monoxide detector, but it appears the Costar detectors have been discontinued. I looked on the parts list on the newer airstreams to see what they now used, but it doesn't indicate a brand or if the detector detects gas as well.

We'd like another battery powered one that rates well, but having a hard time finding something.

Does anyone know if the new detectors detect gas as well? Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks so much,
KS
kstewart23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstewart23 View Post
Does anyone know if the new detectors detect gas as well?
They shouldn't. Really. For home use a combined gas and CO detector is fine, because Natural Gas is lighter than air and so is carbon monoxide.

But in an RV that uses propane, the detectors should be separate, because propane is heavier than air and needs a detector near floor level, while the CO detector needs to be near ceiling level.

A CO detector for RV use can be a combined CO/Smoke detector, but not a combined CO/LPG detector.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Costco has been selling 10 year life, no battery replacement (toss it when dead) smoke and CO detectors for about $35. It seems a good way to update and then not worry about even the battery. I am sure they will tell you when their end of life comes.

These are not, propane detectors though, as protagonist says those need to be floor mounted and detect different things.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
So the Costar detector that came with my AS that is for carbon monoxide is not for propane, as it was mounted fairly high in the bedroom, does that mean that I have a propane detector somewhere in my trailer that I don't know about?
Old 12-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
So the Costar detector that came with my AS that is for carbon monoxide is not for propane, as it was mounted fairly high in the bedroom, does that mean that I have a propane detector somewhere in my trailer that I don't know about?
You should. They were standard safety equipment well before the 2011 models. Places to look for it are near sleeping areas and/or near the furnace, about six inches off the floor. Probably set into the front of a cabinet or built-in furniture.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
Well then I will just look for a carbon monoxide detector to replace the one that died. Thanks for the info. I am going to the storage unit tomorrow and look for the propane detector. That AS still has so many secrets its keeping form me.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
The smoke and CO detectors Airstream installed in their trailers are very cheap models and I would not replace them with the same ones.

After doing a lot of homework, I have replaced mine with the following:
- Kidde Dual Sensor Battery Operated Smoke Alarm PI9010
- Kidde Sealed Lithium Battery Power Carbon Monoxide Alarm C3010D

The smoke alarm has dual sensors for both fast moving hot fires as well as slow moving smoldering fires which require different technologies to detect (Ionization and Photoelectric).

The CO detector is top of the line in this category, has many features (some of which you may not find necessary) and is the priciest.

Menard's currently has $5 off all smoke and CO detectors through Saturday, December 12.

And get a cheap brightly colored shower cap to cover the smoke alarm when cooking your bacon inside.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:11 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Well then I will just look for a carbon monoxide detector to replace the one that died. Thanks for the info. I am going to the storage unit tomorrow and look for the propane detector. That AS still has so many secrets its keeping form me.
On our 2010 28' International, it's just above the floor below the refrigerator--one place to look!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
""And get a cheap brightly colored shower cap to cover the smoke alarm when cooking your bacon inside.""

Great idea: beats taking the thing off the ceiling every time I fry something

JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
Thanks for the additional info and tips. I think the smoke detector did go off once will I was cooking. Thats a great idea.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Just a side note on CO detectors. I had to replace mine and as I looked at some the cheaper ones available at Lowe's, the temp range was pretty narrow. I always remove all batteries for winter storage but the max temp was easily lower than my summer not-in-use temp in the trailer. I think I ended up with a Kidde sold on Amazon. I gave up on a smoke detector; every time we turned on the range the alarm would sound, unless the exhaust fan was running. I could not get dear wife to remember to turn on the exhaust fan for just the teapot so I pulled the battery. No real chance of an ignition source while we are asleep as everything is off except AC/DC power.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote