Old 01-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #43
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by car2nqueen
We custom ordered our 31' last March and recieved it in May, 3 days before a six week trip. We found the usual bugs and got those repaired when we got back. We're having major issues with the tv/cable wiring being wrong and not being able to get it fixed. Fridge won't stay lit if we're moving, and some of the woodwork is just plain wrong. Some of the repairs look like I might have done them! LOL
It is sad to say but you are not alone. I have had many problems with my trailer. I still like it but I no longer love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by car2nqueen
We're to the point we're writing to Airstream to ask them to fix this stuff. Our unit actually left the factory with NO LP DETECTOR! Anyone have a suggestion on who/where to write? The dealer's done as much as they can and it's time to step it up. Funny thing is....David works in quality control for a big company so this one really gets him....that and what we paid for a custom order! LOL
Give Chris Burch a call at the Factory. 877-596-6111
Start with him.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:12 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Ixnay on the showerdooray sabotogay. Your blowing our escape plans.
Ooopsay

Barryay

Old 01-31-2008, 12:53 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay
Iwood – I think I should clarify my remarks.

Airstream is a great trailer. Although ours has not been trouble free – neither has any new car I have ever owned (except for that 1959 VW in my teen years that just seemed to go and go and go) - all my other cars have been new – some have been better than others – a couple a lot worse – but none were perfect. In an Airstream you are going to find a lot of the same brand name “stuff” found in other trailers – carpeting, frig, stove, furnace, hot-water heater, brakes etc – neither better nor worse than others.

The big value of an Airstream is clearly its looks – they have a cult following of which we are proud members. In addition, they tow better than most, live long and hold their value much longer than others. That aluminum does like some TLC – which I think any long-lived owner looks at as a labour of love.

We took a long time to buy our trailer – walked into the deal knowing exactly what we were getting – and although I may have spent a fair bit of time working on the trailer frankly I’ve enjoyed it a lot – most of the work has been modifications – with some more modifications to come – a few unforeseen issues may have come up that I would rather not have had – but in no way do I think this is different than any other trailer (as above – better than many and not as good as some).

I think the writing on the wall from both of us both is that today we intuitively know we would have traded any other brand by this time – perhaps more than once. Since purchasing the trailer our game plan hasn’t changed – we originally sought out a Bambi as a long-lived one-time purchase and there is nothing that has happened to suggest the plan should change. We put between 10,000 to 15,000 kilometres on it each year and have annual trips planned well into the future. One great plus has been the Airstream factory – they have given us great service – we have nothing but good things to say about them.

If you are considering an Airstream purchase please don’t let my remarks deter you. There is a lot on this forum about quality control and it won’t take much research to uncover the more common complaints. Knowing these issues (and recognizing that it does help to be handy), if you do your due diligence – know exactly what your are buying and take your time to do it – then I’m certain you will also become a happy cult member.

Jay
Jay,
Thanks for the follow up. I confess that I am already hooked and it's just a matter of time (getting $$ together) before I purchase an Airstream. I'm the type of person who reads the owners manual before using the new gizmo. This site is serving as my owners manual.

Lwood
Old 01-31-2008, 12:53 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We subscribe completely to the two responses of Ranger Jay. We bought our 2002 19' Bambi new, intend to keep it for a long time, and have had a couple of problems. Those problems have been minor and I fixed them myself because that is what I tend to do. Most of the problems with the trailer have been with vendor-supplied products. Most of what I have done to the trailer have been modifications to make it the way we want it. I remain astonished at how Airstream gets so much adult-sized stuff into the trailer with livable space remaining.

We hope you get your problems fixed at the factory and will then have the opportunity to enjoy your Airstream as much as we have enjoyed ours. Oh, our fridge stays lit while driving and we drive that way, particularly when driving all day.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:55 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Trussville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A.
We subscribe completely to the two responses of Ranger Jay. We bought our 2002 19' Bambi new, intend to keep it for a long time, and have had a couple of problems. Those problems have been minor and I fixed them myself because that is what I tend to do. Most of the problems with the trailer have been with vendor-supplied products. Most of what I have done to the trailer have been modifications to make it the way we want it. I remain astonished at how Airstream gets so much adult-sized stuff into the trailer with livable space remaining.

We hope you get your problems fixed at the factory and will then have the opportunity to enjoy your Airstream as much as we have enjoyed ours. Oh, our fridge stays lit while driving and we drive that way, particularly when driving all day.
My husband had a great phone conversation with Airstream today and Chris is supposed to be back in touch with us about our problems. The wiring on the antenna/tv outlets seem to be the biggest problem at this point. The dealer did try to fix it, but it only moved the problem from the front to the back. I like to watch the news when we're traveling, but if we don't have cable, we can't watch tv! At least they're willing to look at it again. David's got a job in Tennessee next month and once he finishes there, he can take it on to Ohio.

Thanks to all of you who supplied a fix, a comment, or a giggle! They were all much appreciated. They only thing I didn't get was where to order my shower ducky! LOL

Jenny
Old 01-31-2008, 04:21 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Shower escape plan

You may or may not want to advise your spouse about this but...

If you have a newer trailer your shower latch will be an exterior paddle with Irvive printed on it and a round knob on the inside. If you get locked in just turn the knob to the left (remember, righty tighty & lefty lucy) you can actually unscrew the knob and remove it. The door will open and you will be free.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:25 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
You may or may not want to advise your spouse about this but...

If you have a newer trailer your shower latch will be an exterior paddle with Irvive printed on it and a round knob on the inside. If you get locked in just turn the knob to the left (remember, righty tighty & lefty lucy) you can actually unscrew the knob and remove it. The door will open and you will be free.
Ahem, Goin, might I remind you of this?

And I thought I WAS bad, here you are supplying escape methods. Oh how easy you crater after just 10 posts. Geesh

Barry
Old 01-31-2008, 08:19 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Ahem, Goin, might I remind you of this?

And I thought I WAS bad, here you are supplying escape methods. Oh how easy you crater after just 10 posts. Geesh

Barry
The Mrs. read the thread and was leaning towards the emergency fire ax in the shower system. I choose discretion over valor. (i.e. folded like a tent.)

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:35 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
The Mrs. read the thread and was leaning towards the emergency fire ax in the shower system. I choose discretion over valor. (i.e. folded like a tent.)
I understand completely. With apologies to jkcru of course.

Barry
Old 02-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
ok looks like the locked in the shower issue is growing...

ONSTAR, a warning label and an escape plan are clearly needed.
I've gotten locked in the bathroom in our 2002...does that count?

My escape plan is I always bring my cell phone in with me!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:06 PM   #53
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
I've gotten locked in the bathroom in our 2002...does that count?
that depends...

are u out yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
my escape plan is I always bring my cell phone in with me!
well we can add a keypad to the bathing/escape tool...

but i'm not sure it will be waterproof...

i'm thinking a better approach is to include a small hatch door in the shower..

that leads to the beer and chocolate.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:38 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Mulino , Oregon
New Unit Problems

Hi to all in this thread.
My expereince with the factory has been so much better than with dealers; IE night and day so I agree with all who said contact the factory and talk to Chris. The work is by far better than many dealers in my experience.

That said, I have owned 3 airstreams (still have 2) and 3 other makes of trailers and one motorhome; including a Boles(sic) Aero, a Fleetwood, a Silverside GM bus conversion. and a Comfort. All of these had problems, and for the relevant purchases with a warranty; most of these the dealers were near useless on the quality of the repairs; and it was a true fight even to get them to agreeing to make warranty repairs.

Compaired to the automobile industry, I observe the RV industry is about 30-40 years behind in customer service and product quality; most importantly in QA practices and support of dealers in making warranty repairs. You think trailers are bad, beat yourself up and buy a new motorhome! I have 4 friends who will agree.

My solution has been the same as some others have expressed, and it still works, IE find the best dealer you can in your area, and if the other Airstreamers around you do not recommed that dealer, buy elsewhere but accept the long drives and or follow the suggested items below.

1. Expect to do it yourself, or find someone locally who is better than you are at doing the repairs work, warranty or non-warranty. If you do not know how but have good fix-it experience and aptitude, do what I did and take Rv technician certification courses at the local J.C or trade school. That said, I have some advantage of working for years as a CGAM,and other related experience in the automotive industry for a while; this included a career as a degreed and prof. Engineer. Then too I did design work for/at the old Cerritos factory under contract many years ago.

2. Consider buying carefully maintained used Airstreams. That way sometimes some of the initial poroblems have been corrected.

3. Expect to be fixing and maintaining items continuously. Most of the components and subsystems on all RV's are less reliable and require more periodic maintenance than comparable items and systems for homes, cars and trucks. Read your manuals and try to follow all the recommended service and maintenance intervals and recommendations. Yes, it is expensive in either time or $$$.

4. Last, remeber it is the journey that counts, not the cost or the process. I still beleive the Airstream is much less prone to problems that the other RV's I and my other RV owining friends have owned overall, and the quality of the design overall is one of the best.

Warren
Old 04-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #55
1 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Trussville , Alabama
Just a note to end this saga! We took the advice of several of you and made an appointment at the factory to have our A/S serviced. David drove it to Ohio and left it for a week. We went back the next week to pick it up. Unfortunately it was the week of a snowstorm! LOL Don't see that kind of snow in Alabama! LOL

ANYWAY, the unit was completely fixed and they actually found a couple of items we weren't aware of and fixed them, also. David was a little disappointed at how one of the repairs looked, but it doesn't affect the functionality. Thanks for everyone who helped and weighed in on this. I'd really like to go back and take the factory tour. We got out before it started snowing harder!

Jenny
Old 04-16-2008, 10:43 AM   #56
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Glad to hear there was a happy ending! We have also had better success at the factory with our trailer than we have ever had at a dealership. The dealership in Massachusetts gives a higher priority to those service customers who actually purchased their RV from them. That policy is not conducive to me wanting to give them ANY business when I'm told that I have to wait 4 weeks for a repair because I didn't purchase my A/S from them whereas if I had, I would be in and out in less than a week.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote