Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2008, 05:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I try to be positive as much as possible guys and gals, but reading posts like this where people have so much trouble with new ones....well it makes a good argument for buying and older one very cheap. Seems like you get the same number of problems with an old one, but you have less grief because you know you're going to fix it yourself (or pay to have somebody fix it) rather than arguing with a dealership for months on end, only to ultimately fix it or pay to have it fixed yourself in the end.

I still really like those Ocean Breeze's though

Now why in the world would I NOT want to run my fridge when I'm on the road? I thought the whole point of a non-electric fridge (or multimode) was so that I could keep my food cole while enroute. I realize you have to turn it off for tunnels, but other than that, what's the problem? Heck, what about the eight cylinders up front burning highly volatile gasoline vapor at a much greater rate? I'd rather take my chances with LP than gasoline vapor...
Old 01-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
...and to this very day she's still wrinkly, folks!
Wow, you are one very brave man to state that publicly.

Or was this just your inner voice escaping....

Whichever, after she's done with you I'm sure the swelling will go down in a couple of days and you'll be able to see the computer screen once again.

Barry
Old 01-30-2008, 06:21 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Trussville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Wow, you are one very brave man to state that publicly.

Or was this just your inner voice escaping....

Whichever, after she's done with you I'm sure the swelling will go down in a couple of days and you'll be able to see the computer screen once again.

Barry
Actually, I'm sitting here reading all the comments and laughing my head off on this one! ROFLOL (Rolling on floor, laughing out loud!).

I am sorry that some may think I'm not happy about the Airstream. I LOVE MY AIRSTREAM. We intend it to be the last one we buy. I've enjoyed the camping we've done so far in it. I'm still disappointed in the "bugs", but then I'm married to an ISO9000 engineer who does quality inspections for a living!

Can't wait for summer and the last of the great 48 trip!

Thanks everyone for you comments! Keep 'em coming!

Jenny
Who just wants some ice cream at night while we're camping and not have to use a straw in it! LOL
car2nqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The following numbers are for entertainment, and to prove a point, only....

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend@mom

lwood - you are right to wonder. But you should also remember the problems that arise with your new car, boat or home. Also, it may be that a lot of what you have seen here is "the loudest squeek gets the oil", or the only folks talking about problems may be the few who experience them. I think those folks are in the minority.
Out of 60,000 trailers-- Today--
52,934 Airstream families enjoyed their Airstream product.
59,992 Airstreams did not explode by using the refrigerator while towing.
42,478 Airstream owners are planning their upcoming Summer vacations using their Airstream.
50,511 Airstream owners are happy with their Airstream.
49,912 Airstreams did not suffer catastrophic accidents by not using the Hensley Arrow hitch.
200,000,000 persons worldwide think Airstreams are really cool.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Out of 60,000 trailers-- Today--
59,992 Airstreams did not explode by using the refrigerator while towing.
Oh, but those eight....
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:47 PM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Oh, but those eight....
were not in use.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:56 PM   #27
Aluminitus Carrier

1968 26' Overlander
south lake tahoe , California
Send a message via Skype™ to lovingtahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
agree completely!

i've never heard of anyone being locked in the shower! wow.

2air'
I got stuck in our new AS the first time we took it camping. The little brown latch was bent and had to be fixed. I got stuck a couple of times.

WBCCI - #4066 / Sierra Nevada Unit 157
TAC - # CA-9
South Lake Tahoe, California
lovingtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:10 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by car2nqueen
I'm still disappointed in the "bugs", but then I'm married to an ISO9000 engineer who does quality inspections for a living!
Jenny
So, just take that husband of yours to Jackson Center and offer him to them. Many of us here have been saying for years that they need somebody like him up there.

However, as long as everybody just keeps their mouth shut and offers to transport their trailers back to Jackson Center at their own expense, those guys will continue to produce all that crap and laugh all the way to the bank.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:11 PM   #29
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingtahoe
I got stuck in our new AS the first time we took it camping. The little brown latch was bent and had to be fixed. I got stuck a couple of times.
ok looks like the locked in the shower issue is growing...

ONSTAR, a warning label and an escape plan are clearly needed.

we're up to 3 reports, so it may be time for a recall...

maybe that's why the showers leak?

so no one drowns while being trapped inside

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Like a commercial freezer, perhaps a fire ax mounted to the interior wall...
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:54 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Are Airstreams perfect? Of course not but if you want real horror stories go over to the open roads forum and read about the problems with the white box set. Defective warping light weight frames, gushing leaks and walls and cabinets even flimsier than Airstream. All of this with a projected life span of seven years.

Pick your poisen and go camping.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:16 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Iwood – I think I should clarify my remarks.

Airstream is a great trailer. Although ours has not been trouble free – neither has any new car I have ever owned (except for that 1959 VW in my teen years that just seemed to go and go and go) - all my other cars have been new – some have been better than others – a couple a lot worse – but none were perfect. In an Airstream you are going to find a lot of the same brand name “stuff” found in other trailers – carpeting, frig, stove, furnace, hot-water heater, brakes etc – neither better nor worse than others.

The big value of an Airstream is clearly its looks – they have a cult following of which we are proud members. In addition, they tow better than most, live long and hold their value much longer than others. That aluminum does like some TLC – which I think any long-lived owner looks at as a labour of love.

We took a long time to buy our trailer – walked into the deal knowing exactly what we were getting – and although I may have spent a fair bit of time working on the trailer frankly I’ve enjoyed it a lot – most of the work has been modifications – with some more modifications to come – a few unforeseen issues may have come up that I would rather not have had – but in no way do I think this is different than any other trailer (as above – better than many and not as good as some).

I think the writing on the wall from both of us both is that today we intuitively know we would have traded any other brand by this time – perhaps more than once. Since purchasing the trailer our game plan hasn’t changed – we originally sought out a Bambi as a long-lived one-time purchase and there is nothing that has happened to suggest the plan should change. We put between 10,000 to 15,000 kilometres on it each year and have annual trips planned well into the future. One great plus has been the Airstream factory – they have given us great service – we have nothing but good things to say about them.

If you are considering an Airstream purchase please don’t let my remarks deter you. There is a lot on this forum about quality control and it won’t take much research to uncover the more common complaints. Knowing these issues (and recognizing that it does help to be handy), if you do your due diligence – know exactly what your are buying and take your time to do it – then I’m certain you will also become a happy cult member.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:52 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
So, lets get back to this trapped in the shower routine. It seems to be primarily while the HUSBAND is out touring the campground, chatting with the other guys, drinking (coffee's I'm sure), and in general just shooting the breeze.

One would start to wonder what part in the sticky shower door the husband might have played to ensure he had some quality, uninterrupted time with the guys doing guy stuff.

I like the axe idea, however, it might create awkward issues requiring paramedics and firecrews when those who wish to conserve water by making sure that six gallons washed two bods instead of the intended one get, uh, frisky.

Knowing several folks who have SOB's and the problems they have had with them versus the problems I've seen noted on the forums IMHO I'd say that the differentiator is still that Airstreams are built better than their competitor products on a year by year comparison.

Now, Terry, about those 8 folks, I wonder how many of them were repeats? Some folks take a little longer to catch on.....

Barry
Old 01-30-2008, 09:04 PM   #34
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
...perhaps a fire ax mounted to the interior wall...
i see a whole new a/s accessory business segment...

like the rubberducksoaponaropefireaxe with moisturizer included!

operators are standing by to take your order!

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fireaxe_soap_on_a_rope.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	53462  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
2air

How the heck did you come up with that picture in such a short amount of time. Hilarious.

thanks for my evening laugh.

Barry
Old 01-31-2008, 12:04 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
So, lets get back to this trapped in the shower routine. It seems to be primarily while the HUSBAND is out touring the campground, chatting with the other guys, drinking (coffee's I'm sure), and in general just shooting the breeze.

One would start to wonder what part in the sticky shower door the husband might have played to ensure he had some quality, uninterrupted time with the guys doing guy stuff.Barry
Ixnay on the showerdooray sabotogay. Your blowing our escape plans.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:22 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Ixnay on the showerdooray sabotogay. Your blowing our escape plans.

Don't ever forget ( loose lips sink ships )
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:26 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
Quote:
Fridge won't stay lit if we're moving

The fridge is not suppose to be "lit" when moving.
We keep ours "lit" in our 2002 when moving and it works just fine. Your refrigerator should stay lit when moving unless Airstream has put a new feature into new trailers that doesn't allow the propane to run when the trailer is moving.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:32 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
cheers
2air'Attached Thumbnails

2air - that rocks.....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:45 AM   #40
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
I am sorry that some may think I'm not happy about the Airstream. I LOVE MY AIRSTREAM. We intend it to be the last one we buy. I've enjoyed the camping we've done so far in it. I'm still disappointed in the "bugs", but then I'm married to an ISO9000 engineer who does quality inspections for a living!
No reason to apologize for that - everybody needs to understand that we can love our new trailers to pieces, while also demanding that the product lives up to its own reputation - to the wonderful experiences shared here every day - and to the promises from the company that builds them.

Without customers to stand up and require that Airstream, Inc. holds to the standards they created, everybody suffers when a relaxed atmosphere causes quality control to nosedive. And that's any company with a reputation for quality... not just Airstream.