Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Glare brand polish

Wondering why Airstream Service Center and Store recommends, carries a full line, and offers application of Glare Polish at the Service Center?

I just applied Glare Polish that I picked up at the Airstream Store, $34.95 a bottle. Beautiful shine and it took out some swirls the dealership applied during the pre-delivery wash. The polish is not difficult at all to apply.

The mfg makes some impressive claims for the product (don't they all).

But as an Airstream owner I am particularly impressed that it blocks virtually all ultra-violet light, a big, big deal if true as this is the light that damages our finishes, plastics, and seals.

Apparently Glare polishes contain a product called Glassplexin, which enables us to put a thin film of a form of glass on our trailers. Glass blocks ultra-violet light. Apparently it is also an extremely hard finish, offering great protection.

I'm impressed, but have bought snake oils before. Any thoughts comments from my fellow 'Streamers?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Yes and no - I've been watching the Glare product from a CA distributor on ebay, watching the price creep up from $40 to $50 (delivered) for two 12oz bottles since last winter. I still have not come off the ducats to purchase and try them.

Supposedly there is a procedure to follow to purge the paint surface of all old coatings and get the best adhesion, the auto detailing forums go into that a bit. And Glare is not the only Glassplexin-based product supposedly.

I've used only Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax on my vehicles, love the wet & slippery look and it reflects UV instead of absorbing it or somesuch - but it does not last more than a couple of months before its just shiny paint again.

Lost the weather to wax the vehicles this year - maybe the prices will creep back down over the winter
Old 05-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Wayne , New Jersey
I know it's been a while on comments, but..... Do you remember how many bottles you needed to polish your Airstream? We have a 25ft. Safari. Thanks!!
TincanRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #4
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
When I finally get my shine where I want it, will this replace the final Nuvite polish/Walbernize, or is it like a annual maintenance touch up?
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My 30'er takes about 2/3 of a bottle...so maybe you can get two applications on your 25'er. Use it sparingly. You don'rt need a heavy application of any polish/wax. It only takes a microscopic film to protect. just rub in thoroughly.

I've been using Glare for 5 years....once a year is all it takes. Still beads up after a year.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:37 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Just did my 30 footer with Glare, like the results. Hasn't shined like this since new. Also used on my Motorcycle and happy with the results.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:31 PM   #7
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I use 1/4 bottle on 19'. I have used it three years. I travel about 20k a Summer so I aplly in Spring and late Summer.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:17 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Wayne , New Jersey
Thank you so much for your input! I love this group, always helpful and quick with an answer. We are looking forward to seeing the results on our 2001 Safari this week.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Wayne , New Jersey
Update on Glare Polish.

We had the Airstream detailed by a professional with Glare and he couldn't get over the polish. Our 2001 Safari looks just fantastic and shines like crazy. We can't wait to take the lil girl on a new adventure.

He said it went on beautifully and was just as excited as we were with the results.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #10
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Glare is (IMHO) the best polish out there. I've used it for a long time, and while it is pricey, the ease of application and the durability pretty much offset the price. I have a black Lamborghini -- and the quality of the original paint was perfect. Glare has kept it that way, and it is fantastic on aluminum as well. You'd be amazed at what a great job it does on glass if you haven't tried it. They have other adjunct polishes as well....e.g., if you have to go a bit deeper into the paint.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote