Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #1

2003 30' Classic S/O
Louisburg , Kansas
Best repair shop near Kansas City

While camping at Melvern Lake in my 30' Classic, my Daughter and Son-in-law were caught in a wind storm with the main awning extended. Besides the damage to the awning rafters, the mounting bracket at the top/rear of the trailer was ripped out and the force of lifting and pulling dented and creased the skin and reamed out the screw holes. I assume that the area needs reshaped or a patch applied. I'm looking for a reliable repair facility within 100-200 miles of the Kansas City area. More specifically, a shop with experience with Airstream body repair. Jackson Center is a little far from here. Recommendations from those with experience please.
Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

If you feel that you want an AS dealer to do the repair, then I would consider calling Bill Thomas in St. Louis. (they are actually in Wentzville, so you don't have to drive INTO St. Louis to get there.)

They have been in business a long time.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:20 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Kansas City , Kansas
Sorry to hear about the mishap. You should check out Central RV in Ottawa. On their services page there are some before and after photos of two different Airstreams that needed skin work on the curved sections. Apparently they are not afraid to tackle the silver trailers.

http://central-rv.net/services/
LifeIsRiveting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1998 19' Bambi
Parkville , Missouri
Reliable RV in Springfield Mo is a full service Airstream dealer that does excellent work. Give them a call and ask for John.
MoBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:06 PM   #5

2003 30' Classic S/O
Louisburg , Kansas
Thanks to everyone who replied. I will use your suggestions and get a few estimates. In the interim, I just found another string on this topic using a Google search, http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...rea-55247.html. I don't know why I didn't find this when I was searching Air Forums. Anyway, thanks again for the help.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:06 PM   #6
Airstream Fan

2017 30' Classic
PARKVILLE , Missouri
We just completed the identical repair on our 30'. Bill Thomas Camper Sales did the repair superbly although be sure you have the insurance company involved. We live in St. Joseph and this was the closest to us.
rheiniger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:47 AM   #7

2003 30' Classic S/O
Louisburg , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheiniger View Post
We just completed the identical repair on our 30'. Bill Thomas Camper Sales did the repair superbly although be sure you have the insurance company involved. We live in St. Joseph and this was the closest to us.
This is good to know. Hearing from someone with previous experience is reassuring. Thank you.